Not really OT- The Cutts Comp. was developed in the late 1920's by USMC Col. Cutts- initially for the 1921-A-1 Thompson SMG- to counter-act muzzle rise and torque when firing, and the Lyman Gunsight Co. of Middlefield Cobb. bought the production rights for shotguns- right about the time Skeet became a popular clays sport. If the Cutts was factory installed- there will be no choke markings stamped on the barrel with the other I.D.- and if the rib was also factory, the WP in the circle will be offset to aprox 9 o'clock in that same area-instead of at Top Dead Center on the barrel and receiver. I don't like the bulk of the Cutts, but they do develop great patterns, and for skeet and upland, where you are "out in the open" no problem. I'm not a 16 gauge man (traded a M12 field 16 recently for a M12 3" Mag) but a 16 and a 20-same barrel, stock, etc- will weigh within a few ounces of each-as they are on the same receiver--- I have no idea what you paid for this fine M12- but if you aren't too fussy about the "Muzzle Pickles" sometimes you can get a good field gun for low $-case in point- Friday last I found 6 M12's in used rack- I bought a 1924 Model 12- nickle steel barrel with solid rib- originally marked Full- full sized "perch belly style" stock and original buttplate-but with a Deluxe vented PolyChoke- Dealer let me test fire it- ran a full box of AA's through it, adjusting the choke and watching for pattern and impact as well as full cycling multiple rounds- 100%- all patterns were true and centered- about 60% above aim point- and the Poly clicked, indexed and locked "right on the money" Without the solid rib (scarce on Model 12's, I love them) I would have passed, but the rib "overcomes the muzzle bulge" for me-and I bought it for $250 cash money plus tax.- You might want to check all the tubes for patterning, also the threads-make sure you don't cross thread them-special wrench and WD-40 or same lube the SC guys when they change tubes- Enjoy your Model 12-best repeater ever made-anywhere IMO- RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 09/15/08 07:51 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..