June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (fuhrmann, OldMaineWoodsman), 299 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,015
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Amigo Will #108125 08/20/08 07:58 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I admire how your head works, Amigo. Wouldn't mind some of that disabled.

King Brown #108129 08/20/08 08:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just sit and wait for the days to go by so I can collect my Social Security. About thirteen months to go. It might help out paying for my going to the club three days a week. I am going to pick up a L/N BSS 12 gauge here in a few days. Probably next week. I'll let you guys know how it feels when I get it home.

Jimmy W #108146 08/20/08 10:46 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My real name is identicle to my Father's, and I use it with the same pride he did. I've nothing to hide. Those that don't must have something to hide.

Like I said, I don't.

I've owned guns by Hollands, MacNaughton, Darne and a few others that are considered pretty good, but, they went down the road because they weren't "Best" for me. I still own a Darne, that was restocked to fit me in France while I watched, and an American Tobin 16, that a hell of a nice guy named Randy Murray restocked to fit me. Both are field grades, but I do best grade shooting with them. Which, is the point, I'm pretty sure.

One of my favorites is a Mossberg pump that was given to me by an ex-con, after he discovered his child playing with it. It had been left at the house by his brother-in-law, when he went to prison. I fixed the gun, and use it to teach gun safety to kids, and, sometimes, their nervous Mom's and Dad's. That simple gun has brought more smiles and joy of discovery to people than you can believe, and people have offered to buy it many times. But, then I wouldn't have it for the next class, so I always politely decline. Those that look down on someone's guns are pretty small people, I think.

I've got room in my safe for whatever works for shotgunning. I don't have a gunroom, a humidore, snifters, or brandy, but, I have bunches of great memories and experiences from hunting and guiding for same over my life, and, at age 47, lots and lots to go. My setters and I know how to have a good time, and we do.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted you have always been a trooper here.Many a time I have watched you take flack in stride about the French guns and stand your ground,I like em all. If I recall Herr KlunkerMiester seldom let you rest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Real name Ken Nelson just like my dad's and that didn't help any.
Indian name: Gags at matches
Best gun(to shoot) still trying to figure out thanks to Rocketman
probably toss up, 32" 525 or 32" K-80. It's all about the shooting for me. And I'm lucky enough to have a buddy just as wack as me.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi guys - as you may know, I mostly lurk as I have nothing even close to your knowledge of double guns. My name is Stephen Meyers and Baron 23 was my call sign in the Fighter Weapons School at Nellis when I was young, thin, and in the USAF.

I don't own a double...alas, I shoot competition skeet with a Kolar and a K80 that I'm really taking a shine to lately.

What I want is a Linder Daley as I have looked and shot a number of these guns. My drop at comb is 1 3/8"....very high, and most doubles I can't even see over the receiver. What I really would like to find is a good pigeon gun, with a high comb for the times. My good friend Eightbore keeps telling me to start with a good Mod 21, but he has yet to find me one in his many travels and expeditions. Personally, I would like 28" barrels with IC/Mod as I think I can do most of what I want with this choking. I did shoot Eightbore's Pigeon Linder with .40/.40 on a skeet field and just chewed targets up.

As I read the various aspects of double guns that you gentlemen discuss, it does seem to be a rather esoteric body of knowledge and I find myself frozen with indecision as to what to get.

Another friend has recommended a Sterlingworth and do a project gun.....well, I'm about 16 months into an on-going project on a different type of gun and I'm not so sure I want to launch into another two year endeavor.

I guess given my stock dimensions, what I really need is a good double that someone ran the stock over with a car but didn't screw up the metal....then I can get it restocked to be usable for me. My dream for this gun is to go upland hunting over dogs in South Dakota, Montana, etc. My family has no back ground in this sort of thing and I wasn't raised with any knowledge of this kind of shooting....but what the heck, I can hire a guide, I know how to listen and learn, and I just want the experience of walking that beautiful country behind wonderful dogs before this short life is over.

This is probably not really in line with the topic, but I thought to give you an idea of how someone who is not steeped in double guns views the challenges of getting into one.

Any suggestions or mentoring would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stephen
Baron23 #108165 08/20/08 01:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty much a 'read only' guy anymore, for the interesting historical technical and artistic knowledge that appears on Dave's board.

The 'best' gun? Almost anyone of them? All of them, at the moment of purchase!!!

However, I once had a well embellished sixteen O/U from Germany, that was vetted by the old 'smith at NECG, as being pretty damn good. Other than that, I've always enjoyed examining the emerging of trends. this has been a great education, and resource, for me in a subject that I love. It has helped me to differentiate and appreciate guns of every stratum -- for what they are. I can happily hunt with a single-bbl Stevens 94 sixteen or twenty, as easily as the best gun I've ever owned.

My training a conservator helps me to realize the ephemeral nature of all material goods, and to be happy with what is in hand for today. Nice to associate with a gun's history, or if new, to make my own history.

So, a couple of times a week I run this, and few other boards and blogs, like a trap line. Observe the latest, and file the interesting stuff. I have little to add, finding that upon almost any given subject someone is either bound to know more, know better, know it all, or just must needs dance with the angels upon one's own pinhead.

Here's to fine friends, from face to face to worldwide 'Net: for anticipation of the guns you will own; enjoyment of the guns you have; and the memories of the good one's we've had. To our canine partners, and the good grace to appreciate a fine day with them. For those who will, a good malted or distilled beverage is quite acceptable as part of said toast.

John Meeker
West End of Lake Erie

Last edited by JohnM; 08/20/08 01:17 PM.

Relax; we're all experts here.
Baron23 #108169 08/20/08 01:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My name is Keith. Having lived the American dream, I do indeed have something to hide. Guns, tools, other valuable possessions...some priceless, like my family. Those who denigrate we who choose to not disclose too much personal info on the internet will soon post their social security number and charge card account numbers and expiration dates here very soon I'm sure. Fact is we all have something to hide as this is 2008, not 1958. I don't care if you live in Mayberry R.F.D., I've got news for you; Opie, or one of his friends has tried crack cocaine and is now hooked on the most addictive substance known to man. The son of a good friend tried it and was stealing from his parents and selling Grandmas' wedding rings to support his habit before they forced him into rehab. I'm not sure even that will cure him. This was a very respectable family, and not even close to an inner city environment. No gun safe is infallible, and no insurance could replace the single shot .22 that Santa Claus left for me when I was 9 yrs. old, so I don't tempt fate. Anyone who could track down my URL or whatever to this address would find only a cheap pump 12 ga. with five shells waiting for them. I'm sure that over 99% of you would be welcome at my home. It's that fraction of 1% that makes me feel this way. My "best" gun is a 16 ga. DS Lefever that is about 70% overall. I have nicer and higher grade guns, but when I carry this my friends call me ugly names like Game Hog. It fits me and handles as though Uncle Dan personally measured me 50 years before I was born. I also have a DS 20 ga. that is only a few serial numbers apart and a near identical twin in every respect, but it is not nearly so effective in my hands. The 16 must have been ordered with Magic, a $5.00 option in 1905.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

JohnM #108173 08/20/08 01:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JohnM

I have little to add, finding that upon almost any given subject someone is either bound to know more, know better, know it all, or just must needs dance with the angels upon one's own pinhead.

John -- This sentence made me smile, a pleasure to read a thought expressed as craftily as this one.

Jay

keith #108175 08/20/08 01:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Those who denigrate we who choose to not disclose too much personal info on the internet will soon post their social security number and charge card account numbers and expiration dates here very soon I'm sure.

Keith -

Don't take it personally, sometimes Ted hops on his high horse with too much bounce and falls off the other side.

Jay

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.