I've been using .410's on pen-raised burds for years and found that the key to success with .410's is open chokes, smaller shot and keeping my shots within 25 yards.
- The chokes I recomend are skeet/mod, modified being the .410 equvalent of full.
- For pheasants I use #7.5 shot, out to 25 yards the pheasanst don't seem to know the difference from #6 shot. I imagine for qail out to 25 yards #8 or even #9 shot would be fine.
- I've used both 2.5 and 3" shells, one of the .410's drawbacks makes it extremely effective at close range. Because the shot gets all scuffed up going down the barrel it disperses faster down range. Comparing an open choked .410 and an open choked 12 gauge, at 25 yards the .410 is going to give you a bigger pattern, when you couple that with pattern-filling small shot you have a very effective close range gun.
Try reading "Because It's There! Climbing the North Face of the .410" by Tim Woodhouse.
Steve
BTW I have a .410 Nitro Special for sale on the Double Guns For Sale section of this website.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)