June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (playing hooky, fuhrmann, Stanton Hillis), 349 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,989
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
CJO #103906 07/22/08 02:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

CJ,
I see Jerry is hanging onto that stock pretty tight! It looks like he didn't want you sneaking out with it. I've met Jerry twice, I'm sure he doesn't remember me, but I remember him. Once at the Reno custom show and once in Vegas. I was (and still am) quite the neophyte. Jerry was only too happy to answer my questions and give me some tips. I think he and his work is superb. I'd like to see him and the other folks at the custom show in Reno again. I had a great time.
Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good opportunity to plug the joint Firearms Engravers Guild of America and American Custom Gunmakers Guild annual join show in Reno, NV. Concurrent with the Safari Club International Show (SCI) January 23-25, 2009.
A good time to meet and see the work of Jerry, Barry, Doug, Glenn, Dennis, myself and other American craftsmen and women. Hopefully David will be there!
Check it out: American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Last edited by SDH-MT; 07/22/08 03:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have heard of the Gebby-but never have seen one. My older Sako L579 is on the short FN action-Last night with son-in-law (and his new LH Rem BA heavy barrel .17HMR something we shot two woodchucks, and I shot two of my namesakes- just before 9'o darkish- both kits I'd guess- red fox is mainly all legs and the heavy tail- one at est. paced 300 yards with his new Remington-Shepard scope, nice rifle- first shot stung Mr. Fox- second one took off his neck, and walking over to verify and pace off- on the way back son-in-law said "Dad- there's another one along the field edge-" If he went toward the dirt road boardering the field, he was safe as houses- he trotted straight at us- my first rd. splattered dirt in front of his forelegs- he stopped, and I took him in the rt. upper shoulder at about 90 yards- I use Hornady 55 grain Moly-Coat bullets in the .243W for chucks and fox, raccoons and possums- prefer their 75 grain for 'yotes-Unusual here to see a fox at dusk- and neither "deceased" was full of mange, as in past years-my late father got me hooked on varmint shooting as a boy-just as my grandfather did with barn pigeons-can't get enough opf it- The .220 Swift shown with that special foreplate is a "Steinway"--RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/24/08 09:26 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

For a crying out loud Francis!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those impressed with the Guild and its member's work, I heartily reccomend joining as an Associate Member. It gives you 4 issues of the Gunmaker, which is the Guild publication. In there you get to see member spotlights, tips and advice explaining how different members tackle various custom jobs, book reviews, and articles about various aspects of the custom gun industry.

A bonus to the Associate Membership is that it gives you free access to the annual Gunamker's and Engraver's Guild Show in Reno. This alone is worth more than the cost of an Associate Membership.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Tim- what's the problem- Don't tell me you are going to "gig" me as some others on this BBS did the Northern MI Turkey hunter who shot a 'yote in the ass with a load of No. 5 in a venerable LeFever double- what a crapfest that opened up- different strokes for different folks- I'm like Jim Rikhoff's answer to the pain-in-the-ass Society broad, who, according to Gene Hill, at a fancy-schmancy party, when told Jim worked for Winchester and was an avid shooter- said "Mr. Rikhoff, why must you shoot those animals-why not just shoot paper targets?" and he replied- "Well, Lady, I guess it just that I like to hear the whack of a high-velocity bullet against some solid flesh every now and then"! I kill predators that carry rabies, vermin and destroy the nests of the grouse and pheasants you like to hunt in the Fall (me too- at least pheasants) and the fact that I hone my skills and equipment (as we did in the military) and take pride in my marksmanship and ability to spot and stalk such varmints- why is that "too much" for you- or 8-bore? I don't berate the SC or skeet guys- more power to 'em-in our family we shot vermin, varmints, feral pigeons and crows to both realistic practice before hunting seasons opened in the Fall-I mark the woodchuck holes for the farmers with "Miss Dig" flags, keep my empties (I reload, as do most serious varmint and benchresters that I know) and have access to many private farms that are closed to others- as the farmers know me in the off-season and know I won't shoot their livestock or buildings or spook their cattle so they won't give milk-and as I was raised to say "please and thank you" and I know how to weld- I also do that or construction work for the farmers, as a way of repaying them- they gain little for allowing me the priviledge of being on their lands - almost "carte blanche"-am I a bloodthirsty guy- I don't think so-if you do, that's your call- but don't berate me for my shooting interests or passion for fine rifles on a doublegun forum- to each their own!! RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

The white-haired gentleman holding that most exquiste rifle like it was one of his grandchildren bears a slight resemblance to Ernest Hemingway in his better days- and that's meant as a compliment-our country's best writer, along with Samuel Langhorn Clemens (in my opinion)! Hemingway once said, when asked about owning engraved or custom weapons- "A gun is to shoot"- but he also was a frequent customer when in NYC at the A&F gun room-RWTF

CJO #104041 07/23/08 08:17 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow-great fotos- and his shop looks as clean and uncluttered as a hospital waiting room- very impressive indeed, thanks for sharing with us-even though this is a double gun forum- a fine gun is (G. Stein here) a fine gun is a fine gun- whether a 12 bore side-by or a Mauser square bridge custom .416 Rigby-RWTF

OP Offline

Here is another shop, a little more cluttered. . . .

Last edited by Barry Lee Hands; 07/23/08 11:38 AM.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.