June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (ithaca1, Southern Sport), 376 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,591
Posts546,778
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10156 11/14/06 01:10 PM
OP Offline

I picked up a Flues Ithaca this past summer. I have put several hours into fixing, cleaning,& Refinishing this shotgun. The problem is if I want to shoot it much I need to have the forcing cones lengthened. Will this drop the value of the gun or not?

Jeff Hren
Sidelock
Sidelock

You don't need to to have the cones lengthened, just use the proper low pressure 2-1/2" loads.

Besides, any collector value was negated when you refinished it.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff:

As Rob points out, you dont need the chambers lengthened. There is a great deal of debate about whether or not lengthening weakens the barrels at likely the thinnest point in the "high pressure" zone, but you dont really need to. Lots of experimentation has been conducted - if you shoot loads in the pressure range the gun was designed for ( 8000-9200 psi or so ), even with 2-3/4" shells, you wont have a problem, pressure - wise, anyway, regardless of length. I dont know about patterning, personally, but most people say there is no difference.

The best thing to do, IMHO, is load readily available 2-1/2" shells, or roll your own.

As for value - the Field Grade Fluzie is the absolute most common American made boxlock. What you describe has value as a shooter, but if it is not graded, does not have ejectors or some special association with a famous person or event, all you have is a nice upland gun, to enjoy shooting.

Good Luck.

Regards

The Independent Order of Enthusiastic Ithaca Afficionadoes

GKT
( Acting ) Humble Scribe

Last edited by Greg Tag; 11/14/06 02:59 PM.

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
OP Offline

Thank you rob & greg. I have about 500rnds of 2 3/4" high velocity 16Ga ammo. this is currentley the only 16 I own, I hope to get a New Remington 1100 Classic field this coming spring. I like the Idea of shooting the 2 1/2" shells I cuurrentley do not have the $$ to buy a Case of ammo, which is the only way I have seen it offered at a reasonable price.
I can get the forceing cones lengthened for free. If you know were I can get some 2 1/2" ammo by the box reasonabley priced Please let me know. Thanks Again. Jeff Hren

Jeff Hren
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff:

I will try to be explicit.

The 16g shells you currently have on hand are current SAAMI standard pressure, if they are American. Your Flues WAS NOT designed to shoot shells of such pressures and velocities. It may actually take the pressure, but the high velocity increases the " bending moment" at the breech face and may cause frame cracking.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff, the closest place to you that I know you could likely get some 2 1/2" 16 ga would be Fieldsport in TC, likely about $8 box. That said i have shot alot of "standard" 2 3/4" field loads out of a 16 flues with short chambers with no probs to date but knowing there is danger in cracking the frame, you dont want to shoot those high velocity out of it, save them for a modern gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a picture of a cracked Flues frame I took off of eBay.

Just so there'll be no doubt, cracked frames happen.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try Armusa.com they have a vintage load pretty cheap. I use them and have had no problems.

OP Offline

Thanks Guy's!! I will try fieldsport in T.C. at $8.00 a box thats not to bad till my $$ flow improves, then I can pick up a couple of cases of the 2 1/2" ammo.

Jeff Hren
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff: There are lots of options now for low pressure loads until you start handloading.
Polywad 'Vintager' http://www.polywad-shotgun-shells.com
Eley subsonic/low recoil http://eleyshotshells.com
ARMUSA 'Vintage' http://www.armusa-performance.com
Kent http://www.firearmservice.com
RST http://www.rstshells.com 570-553-1651
I understand RST will sell a mixed case to fit your needs.
Cabelas has Gamebore shells at about $8/box also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.