June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (MattH, BGlass, jake van dyke, 1 invisible), 368 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,610
Posts546,961
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's shocking that people live in such match boxes. When spell of really bad weather comes through such boxy community only "pile of shit" will be left. Personally I much prefer ole' brick with Metowee Valley slate roof.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Most outdoorsmen have always counted on someone else to provide the playing field(farmer Brown?). Maybe just buy your own land, and shoot when and how you want.

That sounds too expensive. Better to blame the "yuppie". That's what they do in the ghetto when some of us build nice modern housing. I'm no fan of suburban sprawl (for lack of both culture and nature) but respect people's right to live as they choose. I have my city home and my country home. In both circumstances I believe I have improved on what was left before me. I think it would be good for some to remember that there was a time before their homesteads and that some people believe that time was "better". They may be correct, but without us, how would we all enjoy it?

Last edited by ViniferaVizslas; 06/30/08 07:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Most outdoorsmen have always counted on someone else to provide the playing field(farmer Brown?). Maybe just buy your own land, and shoot when and how you want.

I wish they would let me do just that. Those migrating birds, both Dove and Duck alike, have no right to trespass on my land and eat my grain. The doves invade my trees, nest in them, raise their brood and show them how to steal my grain. Even the fish seem to swim in my part of the river without regard for my property rights. It is high time that I be allowed to hunt and fish on my land, as I see fit, to defend my rights. I will try shooting 50 ducks a day to see if they get the message. Might have to shoot all of the Doves, they breed so fast. Even the Rock fish will have to be thinned out. I like your way of thinking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With rapidly escalating fuel costs for heating, transportation, and airconditioning, rising interest rates, and limited credit availabilty all likely to last for the foreseeable future, the population boom of McMansions and runaway subarban sprawl is over. In a very short time, we will be longing for the good days of 4$ per gallon and 6% 30 year mortgage rates.

I read a serious discussion recently as to what might be done with the expected widespread vacant and unmarketable outer McMansion developments. Maybe they can be bulldozed and trapfields or other shooting facilities built.

I shoot sporting clays at a range built in an old quarry and factory complex where targets at some stations appear through windows in half fallen walls and at others fly in between tall brick chimneys. A relic of an earlier economy serves a new purpose. With a little imagination, abandoned McMansion developments might lend themselves to something similar.

Last edited by vangulil; 07/01/08 12:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

KY, most landowners have conservation as their first thought.
The locals(the newly landless) count on us to set the pace of good taste, otherwise we'd be just another shot-out public place.
They look up to us - lets be the laird and set the example!
When in doubt, don't pull the trigger - go smell a wildflower.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=I shoot sporting clays at a range built in an old quarry and factory complex where targets at some stations appear through windows in half fallen walls and at others fly in between tall brick chimneys. [/quote]

Just shot there with Yeti a Sunday or two ago. Great place!

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's offensive to me when members refer to those living in apartments" like rats" and matchbox houses that turn to "piles of shit" during hard times.

I know housing throughout North America and beyond, as an innovator in urban social housing, and will affirm their residents as good or better than me.

It doesn't surprise me there's such boorish class distinction on a board as large as ours but I believe by naming things we often change things.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"innovator in urban social housing"???Smells like developer to me...No wonder you are in favor of tearing out trap ranges..."Boorish class distinction"??? I dont think so....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone wants a home in the country, just they wish that no others would build next to them. Funny really. I had a person build across from my farm and she started complaining about all the noise, dust and smells from a working farm. Took me to court. She lost, had to pay my lawyer fees. Then she started again. Moved 200 pigs from the rear of the farm, 7/8 mile away to 175 feet from her front door. Hot Summer, hot nights you get the picture. Back to court we went again. She lost again. At that point she got the message and decided to be a good neighbor. Pigs went back to the rear of the farm and I have not heard from her in five plus years.

There are many areas that have been over built and have unsold home in them. Just look around Lost Vegas. In the end homes will be sold, but for more reasonable prices than they sold for in the boom. Always best to buy when the bust has happened and others have no money saved up for the values that you come across.

Some cities have had a rebirth as people buy old buildings and restore them or convert them. Many old building are just in such bad shape that the only thing to do is tear them down and start over. It has to pay to do that. I see this in Baltimore as row house after row house has been abandoned and later torn down. In 20-30 years entire blocks will be free of old homes. Open space is easy to rebuild on and the day will come when someone will see a chance to do so and make money. Only the government is in the business of building homes without a prospect of a profit. Those in the trade have to make a profit of go under.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No. Last Dollar, a group of citizens changed lives of thousands of persons in a Nova Scotia coal-mining and steel-making region by providing an unique home ownership plan. Ownership turns sand into gold. People look after what they own.

It says something for the dozens of realtors and developers in that hard-pressed region that they did not interfere or try to capitalize in any way on a social housing experiment of making homes available at low mortgages to improve.

A former reporter, I now work in social and environmental development, mainly sustainable forestry, currently the greenest, most unique and advanced in the world, registered to the Forest Stewardship Council standard.

As for tearing out trap ranges, I didn't say I favoured it but, looking at the photos, I preferred decent housing to fun and games. People come first. The way our countries are being hollowed out there's lots of room for trap ranges.

What I deplore is those who look down on apartment dwellers or owners of modest houses whose social and financial circumstances may be different from their own. That's not the American or Canadian way. We aren't what we own.

Last edited by King Brown; 07/01/08 02:11 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.