June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (HistoricBore, craigd, Der Ami, KDGJ, DaveB, 1 invisible), 480 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,573
Posts546,474
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Uh! King? Those ARE the suburbs. We owned a home less than 10 miles from where those pictures were taken. Sold it 2 years ago when Diane retired. Those developments are a negative contributor to the local economy (FACT) Many of them were purchased at subprime and are now in foreclosure, by people who couldnt afford them in the first place. The condos/apartments pretty much stood empty until the "free rent for 6 months" etc signs went up and the people whose homes were being foreclosed moved into them. Water alone to support the golf courses, waterfalls and sprinkler systems is a tragedy. The State of Colorado shut down, ag irrigation over eastern Colorado several years ago, to "support front range infrastructure". The tax base cant support them, IE taxes are not being paid on foreclosed properties. As far as people on this board bring a priveleged class, I dont think so. Even in the elite group I shoot with, few of us buy $5900 shotguns, or lay awake at night worrying about shot prices. Most of us worry about paying our fuel bill since farm diesel went over 4 bucks, water, getting the wheat cut, paying the fuel bill and water. Declining school enrollment increased taxes, paying the fuel bill and water. This year, grasshoppers, cutworms, paying the fuel bill and water.If you think that living in an apartment is an improvement over what you had, maybe you ought to get out more. I doubt that any of us live "in a time warp" as you suggested. If there is alot of discussion about gun and shot prices, this IS a board about guns and shooting. Oh yes, lest I be accused of being sensitive about Canadian criticism, I was born in Canada........

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I like the way the planners of these huge developements name them. Such as Quail Ridge or Pheasant Run. You know, the last species of game they plowed under to build over. This one comes complete with steel silhouettes of buffalo grazing in the meadow.

Last edited by hammerback; 06/29/08 09:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bottom line is there is too many people that will avoid what is good and right and sell out their mother in order to better their pocket books. I think the word that I am looking for is GREED. But I think that greed has sculpted our country in a positive way also at times, but definatly not here. The whole subprime fiesco is/was a greed driven gig. Greed is a double edged sword, but the negative side is letting alot of blood in this paticular case...And other than the poor economy I can not see it changing in the near future. Unless, the cost of fuel increases to the point where people do not want to spraw out anymore might slow it down. But then it is happening for the wrong reasons.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the words of Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Sidelock
Sidelock

What I really like is how they come up with names for their subdivisions that have nothing to do with anything. For example, here in Houston you'll see places with names like Canyon Ranch or Katy Lakes....when there has never been a canyon or lake within a few hundred miles.

There was a time when it mattered how people made their money. People like engineers or machinists could hold their head high. People who made their money the easy way were looked down on. Not any more....

In the future our kids will all live in apartments, eat at Chili's, work for the Chinese, speak Spanish, and spend their workdays pining for beer and football games on their plasma TV.
One day, someone will stumble across a hammer and there will be a huge Prime Time Live investigation as to what it is and how to hold it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim- was that a Judy Collins song -Big Yellow Taxi- or Joni Mitchell?

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/02/08 06:55 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah James- my "Buckeye" compadre- "A bird in the hand- is usually messy"- One advantage of a Catholic school education was the old Latin we had to learn- so I'll translate- Non Illigitimus Carborundum means "Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down"__

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/02/08 06:56 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Run, either Joni Mitchell or Janice Joplin??? Can't remember. I think Mitchell might be correct though. She seems to be the common denomorator.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Timothy S
Bottom line is there is too many people ....

You can stop right there. That pretty much sums it up. All the rest is consequences of that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most outdoorsmen have always counted on someone else to provide the playing field(farmer Brown?). Maybe just buy your own land, and shoot when and how you want.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.