June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (LGF, OldMaineWoodsman, gunny, 2 invisible), 415 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,006
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
JayCee #91018 04/10/08 01:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I find it both interesting and gratifying that guns can serve as the canvas for art from the severly unadorned funeral models to the work of an unfettered artist of formidable skill and imagination.

JayCee #91019 04/10/08 01:19 PM
OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm curious as to how a master engraver prices his work. Does he give an estimate based on some hourly rate? What is a typical rate? Or is the job quoted as a lump sum, hard-money price?

OB

SKB #91026 04/10/08 03:02 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skill of the engraver is obviously great as is his artistry. Afraid I would be pretty sheepish about pulling one of the gold encrusted guns out of its case at the range though.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 04/10/08 03:03 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rocketman - The completely unadorned "Black Widow" guns can be masterpieces, too - shape, balance, fit, feel, finish, etc.

OB - Probably as many ways to calculate an engraver's fee as there are engravers. Some generalities do apply: Best engravers cost more than so-so engravers.

Generally, the engraver has to make enough to feed his family and pay the rent. Coggan made the comment once that he had spent as much as 10 months on a single job. I don't know if he had any other jobs during that period. If this was the only source of income for the engraver, he has to earn at least as much as any other skilled craftsman, say a furniture maker, a stonemason, or a machinist.

Typically, an engraver will give a client a lump-sum quote at the outset, and will ask for a percentage downpayment before starting. The payment of the rest of the fee is due upon completion, or in instalments (for very complex jobs).

Stallones - I no longer build double muzzleloaders. Too much of a problem with TAF. They are trying to classify engravers and stockmakers as "manufacturers," and a manufacturers' license is a whole lot more expensive than a gunsmith's. I still like to shoot them, however, and if you have a specific question, I'll do my best to try to answer it.

Jay Cee - I mispoke. The book with the Mountbatten portrait was "The Art of Engraving," by Gaier and Sabatti. I'll need to learn to check my sources. It is a nice, slick picture book, however, with work by Ken Hunt, Coggan, Fracassi, Creative Art, and others.

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill ,
I attended one of the WKU gunsmithing courses with you in the 80's and remember the beautiful Muzzleloading double that you made. I have a pair of High grade Percussion breechplugs that someone should use if they are making a Percussion shotgun and wondered if you were still doing that area.
Leighton

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.