June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (LeFusil, 1 invisible), 339 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,610
Posts546,963
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
_Axel_ Offline OP
OP Offline

Im looking for info on buckshot capabilities? Where i live (Sweden) theyre not legal for hunting, so my experinece is nill.

Ive just read WW Greeners book, and in it, came across the fabulous statements made by him and his customers.

Can anyone tell me about thier real world experiences please?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Axel, I kill between 6-8 deer ayear with 12b. 23/4" #4 buck. I have only ever had to shoot 1 deer twice and he was a massive (for this area) buck. I limit my range to 50 yd. with a tight choke.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Axel,

I can't comment on the Greener quote because I haven't seen it. Perhaps you could supply a link?

I can comment on the efficacy of buckshot; many years ago ago before Political Correctness strode the land I shot many fallow deer with the British equivalent of 00 Buck. I rarely took a running shot, always kept it below 30-ish yards, and never lost a beast. A simple neck shot, on target, and they never took another step.

What wicked fellows we were!

Eug

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

A rough guide is that it spreads about 1 inch per yard. That is for the standard 9 pellet any reduction in pellets or powder will generally tighten the pattern.

It is 9 .33 caliber round lead pellets hitting a being at the same time. It is rarely a survivable wound when it is absorbed by a human target at close range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of my deer hunting was in the South of this country. South Carolina to be specific. It was with dogs moving the deer and men on stands. Shotguns and buckshot only by law.
The limit of deer killed by a shooter was 26 per season that lasted from Sept 'til the end of Dec.
I cannot tell you of the pattern but can say that no wounded deer were not tracked until found and brought in. The buck shot were effective and almost always were clean kills.
Of all the deer that I shot at were killed and almost always with one shot. Only one required a coup de gras with my pistol.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.

I have used them for hunting boar in Australia's tropics, they are devastating within about 30 yds. After that, the pattern spreads a bit and some pellets will probably miss.

On a recent culling trip, I shot a reasonable boar (~80 kg) at about 25yds, all 9 pellets were on the chest area and one penetrated completely and exited. Pattern diameter perhaps 15 inches.

Several of the pigs on this thread on NE.com were killed with SGs. The gun is a cut-down William Griffiths boxlock, which suffered muzzle damage in a previous life, now true cylinder-bore and regulated for slugs and SG.

...and just to add some colour to this post, here's a 90 kilo boar which caught 6 out of 9 pellets in the side of the head as it ran past me flat-out at around 18 metres distant. The other 3 probably went just over the forehead. Pattern diameter perhaps 12 inches.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For many years I ran deer dogs and kept a rifle and shotgun loaded in the truck all the time. So did most of the guys I hunted with. After a couple of bad experiences with buckshot, I ditched the shotgun. So did most of my friends, based on their experiencing or witnessing buckshot problems.

Even with 20 dogs on a deer, I have seen several get away with buckshot in them. So have all of my friends I hunted with.

My eyes have seen buckshot kill infinitely better on TV than behind a silver bead. It is hardly the death ray that has become hallowed lore in this country. Not toally useless, but far less powerful and a sure thing than most people think.

skunk out

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.