June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (azgreg, FallCreekFan, riflegunbuilder, 3 invisible), 271 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,577
Posts546,592
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#398538 03/23/15 02:37 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Im trying to help identify a gun for a friend, it used to belong to his dad who has since passed away. There is no obvious model designation that I recognize, I found some significant variation in appearance of some models but it looks like photos I can find online of a model 409PB, which it very well may be. Based on this and the info below can anyone help me to pinpoint the exact model and any applicable info?

The gun is a 12ga beretta SxS with double triggers, a beavertail foreend and capped pistol grip. The head of the stock has the singled squared indent into the action similar to the modern beretta stocks although Im highly doubtful this is any newer than the 70s or maybe very early 80smy guess is that its a late 60s/early 70s gun just from comparing it to other berettas Ive owned, it appears to be a similar vintage and finish-level to my BL-4/S56e over/unders. There is no date code that I recognizeno roman numerals and no double letters, and no importers stamp. The serial # is C226xx (x=a numeral, just so Im not posting full serial numbers in random places).

Markings on the gun:
Pietro Beretta-Gardone V.T.
Made in Italy
Cal. 12

Alloy Chromium Electric Steel
Special Type Ausonia

Bottom of action says-
Monobloc Beretta

On the barrels under the forened it says:
On the left barrel: Ky (looks like scrolled/cursive letters that appear to be an upper-case K and a lower-case y) 1,500 18,3 17.2

On the Right Barrel: 20.3 (over)70 18.4 17.8

On the bottom rib behind the lug it reads: 349 (I thought this might be a model, but could not find any info on a model 349. Gun appears to be much newer than march of 49 as wellis this a code for something?)

He didnt send it to me but on the picture he sent I can see the barrel flats say Choke and next to that on one side 1.

My friend doesnt really know what to look for but thats the info Ive got. All of the pics he sent are attached. I know the markings say the gun is a 2 3/4" chamber with .720 and .724 bores with chokes of .023 and .043 which is a tight mod and a very tight full, but I'm not sure what the 20.3 is, what the 1,500,the Ky and the 349 is or what model it is.

Can anyone help me to pinpoint a model, date of manufacture, or source for any other info?

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kind of reminds me of old Gaylon imported ca. 1960 'Silver Hawk' non-ejector I used to own. Beretta had whole slew of BL guns like 409, 411, 426,..... Bit heavy, but very solid, robust and reliable shotgun. It cost about $170 when it was made. At one time we had member from Montana that knew old Berettas like nobody else. Too bad he does not seem to post here anymore.
There was a good article in Double Gun Journal few years back about older Beretta box-lock double shotguns. I got rid of most of my literature when I sold my shotguns. Perhaps someone on here will be kind enough to provide you with copy of that article.

Sidelock
Sidelock

409 I'd say Ausonia steel is the clue
date code or year will be on the flats somewhere a picture would help

Sidelock
Sidelock

Usually stamped on the forend wood I believe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave , it sure looks like a dead ringer for my 409.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 1.500 is the finished barrel weight in Kg. Stamp may look like a coma rather than decimal point, because sometimes it is. What looks to you like Ky is actually Kg. It is simply a partial stamping that makes it look that way.

As said previously, model number is quite likely stamped in the wood under the forearm.

Date of MFG will be a Roman numeral stamped on the underside of the barrels near the breech. It does not show in the pics your friend provided, but its there somewhere between where we can see the partial word 'choke' on both barrels and the breech. Too, it could be on the action flat. Please have him take pics of both & post those.

Sidelock
Sidelock

the first # is Kg 1,500 and that is the barrel weight - 1.5kg

left bbl - 18.3mm/ o.721" / o.677" choke for 0.044" choke

right bbl - 18.4mm / 0.724" / 0.701" choke for 0.023" choke

nothing unusual about those #'s

** a pic of the bbl flats would have more data **

there is usually a model # somewhere, could be under the trigger guard, maybe on the action flats

the 20,3 and the 70 could be some kind of date code but it is not the standard format for that OR chamber length (cam.70) or anything else that I'm familiar with

not being mean but the #'s look a lot sloppier/older than the ones on a 1969 gun I have so ..... FWIW

I'm no Beretta expert but Italian guns all meet the same criteria for markings, proof, etc.

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 03/23/15 10:54 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the 20.3 is the chamber diameter in mm and the 70 is the length again in mm

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all, appreciate the help. 20.3 seems like it would make sense for a chamber diameter--seems the most plausible thing I can think of, anyway. I do have a photo of the inside of the fore end (for some reason that portion of the image was cropped when I posted it), the last 4 digits of the serial number are there but definitely no model number. I've requested a picture of the water table and barrel flats so hopefully that will get a definitive date and perhaps even a model.
For what it's worth I stumbled into a Beretta SxS-focused newsletter that indicated the Italian proof markings went from mm bore and choke markings to a "star" system in 1962, which if that's accurate would indicate this was a pre-62 gun. It seems to be a 40x Silverhawk, likely a 409 as Dave mentioned above, I'm just not sure how to tell the ultimate grade if the model isn't marked on it...my 1960's Beretta O/U's have significant variation in appearance and embellishment even within a given grade so I'm not sure how to be certain.

Last edited by David Furman; 03/24/15 10:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun is a model 409. The Silver Hawk was the US importers name for the 409 guns it bought from Beretta. That importer was Galef

Your gun was probably carried into the U.S. by a member of the armed services or someone traveling to Italy. Usually those guns had sling mounts. You might look for holes in the bottom rib.

Nice gun - entry level grade. I have several of them in 20,16 and 12ga.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.