June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (FlyChamps, ithaca1, 257rob, susjwp), 406 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,610
Posts546,962
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#381093 10/20/14 01:25 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Mallards are self explanatory. The Moss is to warn you that someone talked me into wearing the "Duck Dynasty" beard for the photo. The Mules refers to a truly lifetime experience I had last week in Canada.

We were shooting a biggish pothole on the edge of a canola field which had been cut and swathed. We made blinds for our ground-seats in the swathe closest to the water. We'd spotted a thousand Mallards feeding elsewhere and followed them to the pothole.

About an hour after sunrise we heard a tremendous splashing behind the willows across the pothole from where we were sitting. Could not figure out what it could be until a Bull Moose appeared in the water with us. My buddy made a cow call which was likely a big mistake with us sitting on the ground less than a hundred yards from the animal.

A moment later three Cow Moose appeared next to the Bull. The Bull looked across at where we were hidden in the straw and herded his harem out of the water and across the field. As they left, the Bull looked over his shoulder at us as if to say 'Sorry you guys, nice cow call but I've got all I can handle over here'...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice work. I'm leaving for North Dakota on Thursday myself. They've not had much weather to bring in the geese but still plenty of ducks around so should be a good time.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

George,

Being familiar with Brister's book, M,M &M, you should well know that them ain't mallards, them is mallets.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Destry, I hope you have good luck with the birds and stay safe on your NoDak trip. Stan, Mallards or Mallets; either way they are always a treat for this South Georgia boy where the only greenheads around most likely escaped from someone's back yard goldfish pond!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you had a good trip. Nice time of the year to go north. We get a few mallets here from time to time. More and more gadwalls each year, it seems.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.