June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (buckstix), 368 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,610
Posts546,962
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have for many years soaked dirty rusty receivers in a bath of the following with nothing but great results.

Prolix biodegradable gun cleaner
A bit of Hoppes #9
A bit of Liquid Wrench
And I thought I put a dash of Simple Green now and then.

I have soaked many old SXS" in this many times with no adverse effects.

My partner topped the bath off with a bit more Simple Green
the other day.
Receiver soaked for 3 days and today took it out and the nice color case hardened metal is now a dull gray in some spots.
Out of the tank it was similar to paint coming off after using stripper. Maybe a clear coat.
Any ideas what happened?
Is it possible to have a fake or painted on color case hardened con job finish.
Thanks for any ideas.

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It was a Hunter Arms Boxlock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Same thing happened to me about 23 years ago with a NEW Colt SAA. The only thing it was soaking in was Hoppe's #9. It didn't get down to dull grey, just mottled, dim coloring.

I think the problem was the soak went over the intended time and lasted for 3 days.

Have you actually used all those ingredients for a e day soak of S x S's before and had no adverse effects?

This is one for the books. Tough way to get in the books, but that's life.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes have soaked many SXS" for several days in this solution w no problems.
Excepting a bit more Simple green in this one.
Maybe a Chemical reaction from too much Simple Green?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Case colors probably dimmed because your concoction stripped the laquer coating off. Sort of like taking the transparent top coat off your car's finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im thinking all that stuff you mixed together created SOMETHING!

It sounds like all these chemicals were arbitrarily tossed together without regard for what their chemical content was and what they create when combined. My wife says I cook like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never use concoctions. As noted, chemical reactions can occur and you have something different than what you started with. Lacquer thinner takes care of any petroleum based stuff, then Dawn and water or 409 takes care of any other stuff. I have never soaked anything more than a few hours at most.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is not the first time Ive heard about Simple Green ruining a gun finish. If you look up the MSDS for Simple Green it contains Sodium Citrate which I suspect is the culprit.

Any good cleaner will quickly strip off the protective lacquer that the factory originally applied.

Do not use Simple Green on guns. !! Or at least do not use Simple Green on guns you like.

Before I use any cleaning solution on a customers gun I will throw some test blued and CCH parts in the solution and let the sit for a week.

Often I get some really nasty guns here in the shop, so far Ive found Brownells D-Solve or Tri Sodium Phosphate (TSP), found in the local hardware store; heated in a crock pot works very well, good cleaning without injuring the finish (but they will strip the protective lacquer).

I would also stay away from Greased Lightning; it will cause some type of electrolysis between dissimilar metals.

I also no longer use ultrasonic cleaners, I find that they micro etch polished surfaces, esp. with the commercial models.

Mike

Boxlock
Boxlock

Simple Green has some interesting test results at the following link, related to aircraft aluminum but I think relevant for delicate steel finishes. I use it on unpainted car parts, but nothing polished, and wash off immediately.

http://simplegreen.com/pdfs/aircraft.pdf

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wannagohunting
I have for many years soaked dirty rusty receivers in a bath of the following with nothing but great results.

Prolix biodegradable gun cleaner
A bit of Hoppes #9
A bit of Liquid Wrench
And I thought I put a dash of Simple Green now and then.

I have soaked many old SXS" in this many times with no adverse effects.

My partner topped the bath off with a bit more Simple Green
the other day.
Receiver soaked for 3 days and today took it out and the nice color case hardened metal is now a dull gray in some spots.
Out of the tank it was similar to paint coming off after using stripper. Maybe a clear coat.
Any ideas what happened?
Is it possible to have a fake or painted on color case hardened con job finish.
Thanks for any ideas.

3 days? Were you cleaning a gun, or making kimchee?
It seems to me that deep cleaning on a shotgun comes down to removing one of two types of goop-old, factory or otherwise applied varnish, or old lubricant, that with the passage of time, and addition of various contaminants, has simply become another form of varnish. You won't remove rust from a gun with a soak type of cleaner that won't also remove case colors or blue. Period.
For either varnish form, nothing works better than old fashioned, dip type carburetor solvent. It is designed to safely remove varnish from aluminum, brass and steel parts, although there is usually a warning on the can NOT to soak aluminum or non-removable phenolic parts overnight. I've used it on cyanide and bone pack case colored parts with no ill effects, ditto on hot and rust blued parts. I've never had to soak gun parts for more than about 20 minutes. 5 or 10 minutes usually is plenty.
The stuff is nasty, and I typically follow the soak with a very hot water rinse, followed by a soak in mineral spirits and a spray with a light lubricant to hold off oxidation until I get back to assembly.
Do not attempt to use dip carb solvent indoors. Use gloves when you are around it. I've found nothing that works better, or faster.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.