Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rhys95 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has information on my new hammer shotgun. I'd just like to know approx year of manufacture (serial no. 5071), the age of the new proof marks from the re-sleeving and also what's the heaviest load its proofed for in ounces.
I'm 18 years old and after a rough start to my collection of hammer guns I was very exited to win this at the "Australian Arms Auctions" in October last year for what I thought was a very reasonable $1100. the guns action is still like new and the bores which have been re-sleeved are flawless.
any info on the gun would be very appreciated as well as pictures of anyone else's Alex Henry hammer shotguns. I can't wait to take this gun out in the field soon!

Cheers Rhys

this shows the excellent sleeve join on the barrels

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rhys, you've done marvelously and your collection is off to a grand beginning. Your shotgun, which is in superb condition, looks to be made in 1881.

Alexander Henry is a personal favorite gunmaker. Currently I have a beautiful double rifle (.450 3 1/4")from 1873 and a gorgeous 12 bore percussion double cased to the nines with nearly all the attendant accoutrements, crafted in 1860 or 1861.

I envy you your youth! Learn all you can and stay with it and you're sure to build a wonderful collection of fine antique firearms, the BEST kind - those in such good shape you can actually shoot them as they were designed to do!

**I just looked over your shotgun again. It is REALLY a great acquisition!

Last edited by Krakow Kid; 01/10/14 08:32 PM.
Rhys95 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for that Krakow Kid and yes I am extremely pleased with the new gun and its condition. luckily for me it was put in the wrong category in the auction making it hidden from the shotgun enthusiasts and leaving me to take home a steal!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You could not have made a better start to your collection than with a Scottish gun. As I've said before, those fellas in London could learn a few things from them.

The rounded bar in iron guns handle really nicely too.

And Kid, how about a few pics of the 12 bore percussion?

I shall now take cover.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rhys, is that $1100 AUS Dollars or $1100 USD?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Rhys95 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

$1100 AUS dollars

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep Rhys, sweet Gun man.The sleeve joint looks to have been done very tidily.Some people don't care for sleeved Guns...but If it can get you into a lovely old Gun like that,a classy shooter with basically new bbls for about 1000usd,what's not to like?
Hope you're still shooting it when your 90 .
Can help with any of your Q's, but you did well I'd say.
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice old gun. Congrats on a fine start.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got 2 double rifles and a single shot from the master, Alex Henry. The Scotts were making grand guns along side the best of London.
You've made a great buy with that fine SG.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rhys95, welcome to the board. You have a very nice gun by a well known maker and at a very favorable price. There are two factors you need to control in selecting ammo. The first is pressure and the second is recoil. Pressure affects the metal parts and joints between parts. Recoil affects the wood.

Pressure is controlled by shooting ONLY loads, factory or reload, of KNOWN pressure. IN the USA, we are able to buy suitable loads from RST. Equally, we are able to make reloads easily and at about 50-75% of the cost of factory.

Recoil is a function of ejecta weight and ejecta velocity squared. If you will confine your shooting to 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads at about 1200 fps and 1 1/8 oz loads to less than 1150 fps, you should be fine.

Generally, loads below 7000 psi should be fine. Will you buy or reload? The 3 1/4 ton per square inch proof for 2 3/4" chambers is nice. It proves the gun is reasonably strong. The chance of it "blowing up" is remote. However, I'd not recommend a steady diet of CIP shells.

Questions?

DDA

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.