June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, Argo44, mark, bushveld, buckstix, 12boreman), 522 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,583
Posts546,721
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with the sxs Ruger Gold Label?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know they tend to get hammered pretty regularly for all their shortcomings, but I guess I got lucky. I thoroughly enjoy mine, and hunt it and shoot sporting clays with it regularly. My only complaint is the English grip stock, which isn't my personal preference. So I sent it back to Ruger, and they put on a beautiful pistol grip stock for me. So I enjoy it even more. But that's just me.

Rick

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser, I read through the critiques on the other site and you will find similar here. I own one and let me give you my personal experiences.

Fit and finish. Not real good with regard to wood to metal. However, about what one would expect to see on their recent O/Us. My gun is on the face, flex gap seems just about right and the tubes and rib seem set up without any serious issues. The wood on my gun is very plain.

I shoot double triggers and single triggers equally (I simply don't notice them). However, given a choice, I would prefer double triggers. The GL safety barrel selector design seems to work about as well as any and is better, to my mind, than the trigger mounted push button style.

Everything else is exceptional. Stock deminsions are superior. I have the English stock and I would change nothing on it. The gun, like most Ruger products, seems strong as an ox. I bought it as my utility travel gun, and during the last season it digested a steady diet of 1 1/4 lead loads on Kansas pheasants, dumped geese with authority, and put up fine scores at the clays range using 1 ounce target loads. I even took it out on a box bird venue and certainly did no worse than I usually post with one of my pigeon guns. In short, this is a very useful gun.

I like it's usefulness and shootability so well that, I have decided to make it the basis for an upgrade. It will destroy its "utility" double status, but it should be a very useful upgraded 12 bore. Ken's magic on the action and a nice stick of English to the exact current deminsions should produce a neat product. No, it won't resell for what I intend to put into it, but it will be not only a very useful gun, but also a very unique one as well.

Will ask Ken to post pictures as the project progresses.

Joe,
I hope you are having Ken turn it into a round action Dickson clone! Always wanted to do it ever since I saw the Ruger reps at the Vintagers 3 or 4 years ago with one done up in that drag. It looked dynamite with dark upgraded wood, straight grip, and heel and toe plates to boot. KBM

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like mine, but the wood is not very pretty. That's an interesting thought about replacing the wood... Joe, I'll be very interested in your project. If I'm not out of line asking, what would a ballpark $ and time be for an upgrade? If asking is rude, I apologize in advance. People who don't like Rugers won't like them, but it seems like a lot of gun for the money (I paid $1800 new at a local store) to me, even with "blah" wood.
Thanks.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Fit and finish is that one would expect on a $2000 gun. Shooting experiense is equal to a gun costing much more. Only change I made to mine was to install a recoil pad, but I am recoil adverse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Ruger replacement stock I got may not have been AAA++ fancy, but it still is quite nice, particularly for the $300. or so dollars it cost me to have the factory change it (and keep the original stock, of course).

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.