June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
10 members (BGlass, ithaca1, Lorne, fuhrmann, 3 invisible), 355 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,610
Posts546,962
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt that you would have gotten a better match if the cut off portion of the buttstock had been by some miracle preserved and you had reattached it.

My only question concerns why you chose to retain the white pistol grip cap after removing the white inlays.

In any case a marvellous job of resurrection!

GRH Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

John - As the owner of several early Model 52's that resemble your rifle before you restored it, I salute you sir. I agonized over bidding on that particular rifle when it was on the auction block. I decided I just had one too many projects going at the time you bought it or I might have been bidding against you. Being on a retiree's budget I am sure you would have out bid me. But fate was on that rifle's side. You have done a wonderful job and if that rifle were mine, I would be very proud to own it. I envy the talent that you definitely have for working with wood. Thanks for sharing and the great pictures. Bob

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: xausa
I doubt that you would have gotten a better match if the cut off portion of the buttstock had been by some miracle preserved and you had reattached it.

My only question concerns why you chose to retain the white pistol grip cap after removing the white inlays.

In any case a marvellous job of resurrection!

LOL, my brother asked me the same thing about the pistol grip. It probably would look better with a steel cap. I kind of wanted to keep the existing one out of respect to whoever it was that reworked the stock originally. But, who knows I may get a wild hair some day and change it out.

GRH, we would love to see some pictures of your 52 project rifles. Thanks for letting me slip this one past, I probably would not have bid much higher. The Winchester collectors turn there noses up at rifles such as this so you can usually get the at a decent price. To me they have a lot more character than a like new factory rifle. But I guess that is just me.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

That Winchester Target stock reshapes into a nice looking sporter. The original bbl looks fine on it too. I'd have thought the contour would have been too heavy to look good.

Now I'll have to drag that project of mine out for another look. I'd forgotten about it till this. I do remember someone had converted it to a speed lock though and the safety did not engage...

Nice job. Looks like it'd be a fun shooter. I like the looks of the sight on it, but I'll take the word of others that older eyes would probably have problems with it.

As far as sling swivels go, I'd probably leave them off entirely.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

An update on this rifle. Several people asked why I didn't change out the grip cap. I kind of had it in the back of my mind that a little scrimshaw might look good on the Ivory or whatever it is. At the local gun show a few weeks ago was a lady displaying her engraving and scrimshaw work. Ben and I decided a squirrel and bunny might look good on a .22. We left the cap with her and a couple weeks later this is what we have. I think it suits the rifle very well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I sure like it. Nice job. It really completes your rifle, except for maybe a little squirrel blood dripped on it here and there. smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gorgeous work on the gun! And the scrimshaw fits it perfectly too!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Icing on the cake! Well played.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's the length & diameter of that barrel? I have a 52C barreled action it may be fun to do that with. It too was bubba'd, I found a target stock, but mine has a 28" barrel that's 11/16" at the muzzle, pretty heavy.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This still has the original 28" target weight barrel. These are lighter than the C barrel I believe.

John

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.