June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (susjwp, ksauers1, 1 invisible), 327 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,991
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian G,
Other people made guns for the Army & Navy stores other than Webley and Scott; They included;Hollis,Osborne Allport,London Armoury and B.S.A.The sales records of the Army & Navy guns are held by the University of Glasgow, Scotland.You can obtain information as to the maker of your gun by contacting the university.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Send an e-mail to the Duty Archivist at the University of Glasgow and, if it is an A&N they will send you the info for free. If you want more info, for a modest fee, they will send you a copy of the journal entries for your gun.

dutyarch@archives.gla.ac.uk

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well worth having the Journal Entries, fascinating reading!

Boxlock
Boxlock

Im looking at buying the same gun right now. I will post some pics of it. Maybe you can tell me more about it.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Sidelock
Sidelock

That looks like a very nice example of a screw-grip Webly & Scott marketed by Army & Navy C. S. L.

The one I used to own never looked that nice. The case colors and engraving look really good. How are the barrels?

Boxlock
Boxlock

Im going to get some pics of the watertable and barrel flats tomorrow. He says that the barrels are very good but have small pits just past the chambers but the rest of the barrels are like mirrors. Any idea what it would be worth?

Last edited by ilikedoubles; 04/23/13 03:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ilikedoubles, that gun has been up for sale on the Gunnutz website for several years. It has been restored to some degree. While it looks nice, I have not seen any information that would confirm actual condition i.e work done to gun, barrel wall thickness etc.

As the owner of an un-restored, higher grade (more and finer engraving etc) Army & Navy Webley Screw Grip I had felt in the past his asking price was significantly high. Don't know what it is now but over several years I hadn't seen it change and it was approx triple what I paid for mine. BTW, I bough mine from a very knowledgeable seller who is a member both here and on Gunnutz.

If you want to buy a high condition Birmingham boxlock, I know where there is a new and unfired Westley Richards with gorgeous wood, 100% engraving coverage and a makers case with all the fixin's. Gun was made in 1980 and has never been fired. Barely ever been out of it's case.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gents, can I please point out that Webley called it a " grip nut", The Jones under lever was normaly refered to as a "screw grip" and thus there is often confusion .

Sidelock
Sidelock

"grip nut" eh? Thank you for that. I always wondered how the "screw-grip" moniker came to be applied to the dolls-head 3rd bite. It makes far-more sense with the Jones.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.