June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (eeb, smlekid, Jtplumb, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 540 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,589
Posts546,769
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hilsman Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Does anyone know why this lot went well below estimate at $40000 (est 60000-80000). Issues? Thanks for any insights.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe because the fools built it with stacked barrels rather than side by side barrels like a respectable shotguns meant to be built. Ya think?

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
hilsman Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Could be but am still curious about what would appear to be a real bargain smirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

hilsman,
Thanks for not getting all anal about my lame attempt at humor. I'm afraid there's two things that set me off, stacked barrels and worse that that... doubles with single triggers. The stacked barrels I can sort of understand but single triggers, why bother when double triggers are so efficient and the selection doesn't change from one gun to another.
Damned ADD, I'm getting worse than RWTF! Have a great holiday weekend!
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
hilsman Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

gun in question is lot 1151 it followed the 20 bore Purdey O/U

Sidelock
Sidelock

The problems with Purdey's attempts to build O/U have been pretty well documented.

h
hilsman Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Is that to say their O/U guns don't measure up? Enlighten me, please.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Excellent quality (usually) but they are light duty guns, typically. The single trigger versions have a single trigger that is, well, English.

I used to see a pilot a couple times every fall, who flew for British Airways, and used a Boss 12 gauge O/U, that was likely worth more than my little house. He hunted woodcock at a couple larger WMAs that he had become familiar with, and it was a rare year that he fired the gun more than half a dozen times, since his hunting style had him waiting until the pointer went on point, loading the gun, shooting, and then sending the retriever into get the woodcock, (he never considered shooting a grouse or pheasant, although one could find all three where we hunted) while the pointer remained steady. His own view was that the English O/Us were for days that didn't involve a driven shoot, with a longer than usual break for tea in the afternoon.
I believe he was quite right. His Boss was a very light gun, and would have likely been unpleasant to shoot a few rounds of sporting clays with.
He also called my Gordon a "meat dog" after he saw him point a grouse while retrieving one I had killed not thirty seconds prior. I shot the second grouse and asked if my Darne 20 was a "meat gun". "So it would seem" I recall him saying.
He was right about that, too. Wish I knew what happened to him, and that I hadn't sold that long barreled Darne 20.

Best,
Ted

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was the Purdey at Julia's built "light weight" for "light duty"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hilsman, IMO the estimate was too high, 25k to 30k GBP tops is about right. As mentioned also, English single trigger, NO ! best

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.