June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (Der Ami, Lloyd3, 4 invisible), 332 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,026
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw a JC Higgins 101.7 (Stevens 311A) priced at $250 that has bright bores,very nice case colors and wood. However, there are a couple of issues. There is a small crack in the stock about a inch long on the left side next to the frame just above the triggers. Also, a previous owner used a small round punch to peen both sides of the frame to lock in the lower pin next to the stock.

What do you think? Is it worth making an offer on it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chances are the pin would never have to come out. The crack can very easily be fixed by pulling the stock; use a knife blade to spread the crack just a little; stick a toothpick in to hold it open and work in some Acraglass then use some heavy rubberbands to wrap around the head to squeeze the crack tight for about nine hours.

Then it would be wise to look for any non-shiney spots on the wood that meets the receiver; they are not making contact which is probably why the crack happened. Just a tiny dab on those spots; put stock back on and draw fairly snug. Take apart no sooner than nine hours and check. Don't forget to use release agent on the metal. It all comes in a kit from Brownells.

Here is how I Acraglassed a 5100 (311) receiver for prevention. Channeded wood out of the radiuses for the hammers with a Dremel burr bit, the inner side panels and the radius where the rear post of the receiver meets the wood the filled with Acraglass.

$250 wouldn't be a bad price, but I would try to get them down some, pointing out the 'problems'.

Last edited by 2holer; 12/30/11 09:38 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

2holer,

Thanks for your comments and Acraglas tutorial. Just talked to the seller about an hour ago, and he said he would take $200.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could you post a picture of your JC Higgins? I've got one in 16 ga. that is really nice and I wanted a comparison to see if someone, somehow and for some strange reason, put a lot of work and time into it. It has a POW stock, a Neidner steel checkered buttplate (the kind with the wing on top, like on an old Parker) 100 % case and deep bluing. I'll try to post a picture on it later...I wondered if Sears really went for it on this gun or if it was typical.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Genelang,

I'll see what I can do about getting a photo or two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barkey I'd take if you like it or just let me get it,I could use one more for the field !
Let me know if you need help with that crack. I think 2holer said it all though!

Last edited by suddenthunder; 12/30/11 06:42 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a pic of a 20 gauge I bought last fall. The fellow had a matching 16 gauge but I didn't take it for some stupid reason. Both guns were in fine condition at $300.00 Canadian each which I believe is at the top end for price, at least where I am.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.