June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (AGS), 523 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,586
Posts546,750
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not many of the A Grades made, which pushes up the price. Around the same time Ithaca brought out the A Grade, which was more expensive than the standard Nitro but less than the NID, Hunter Arms brought out the Hunter Special. Same deal: priced between the Fulton and the Elsie Field Grade. Although saving a few bucks was important in those days--we're talking Depression years, mid to late 30's--neither of those "in between" guns sold very well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall, but could be wrong, the A grade used a wedge bolt, same as the Nitro rather than the rotary of the NID. As most of the rotaries weren't really properly fit up they served only to keep the bbls closed, so they offered virtually no advantage over the wedge. On the other hand the rotaries are about the only ones I have ever heard of becoming "Self-Openers".

As I understand it other than some fit & finish, main difference between the NS & WA was the NS used a forged steel frame while the WA's was made of mallable iron. Though this is not as desirable as forged steel, they do seem to have held up well & given good service for the money.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first double was a Lefever Nitro 16 gauge and it served me well for many years. It's one problem was that it had about 4 inches of drop at heel.

I've still got the gun and still squirrel hunted with it occasionally. This summer I got a wild hair and took it off to be restocked and tightened up, couple dings taken out of the barrels too. The gun is low value as I'm well aware, but I'd never sell it anyway, so spending the money doesn't really matter.

Now I'll use it again, maybe even duck hunt with it a bit. It's supposed to be ready "early fall" according to the gunsmith. I'm ready.....

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The A-Grade was the same mechanically as the Nitro Special, it just had nicer frame profiling and a bit nicer wood. The Lefever A-Grade was only offered from 1934 to about 1938. Here is a Lefever A-Grade --

Most Lefever Nitro Specials were profiled like this --

and had a half-pistol grip stock --

After Ithaca dropped the Lefever A-Grade, Nitro Specials were profiled like this --

and had a capped pistol grip --

The Lefever A-Grade was offered in two models. The Model 5 was the basic double trigger, extractor gun, with a number of available options. The Model 6 was the "Skeet Gun" with all the options -- ejectors, single non-selective trigger, beavertail forearm and twin ivory sights. This 20-gauge is a skeet choked gun, with all the options except ejectors, so according to Walter it is an optioned up Model 5, not a Model 6 --

Sidelock
Sidelock

Better not knock the N.S. I've got a 20 marked for M&W that is 84 years old that is my go-to gun. They were great poor man's Ithacas. Chops

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know Chopper I have never heard anyone, ever say anything bad about the Nitro Special. I have no idea where this guy is coming from and something tells me that he doesn’t either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nitro Specials are so bad I'm taking this one to the Vintagers this week. Destry, as you can see ducks are no problem.

Jeff

Sidelock
Sidelock

One other difference between the Nitro and the Western Long Range is that the latter had an uncheckered stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Western Arms 12ga served me well in high school and beyond. Given to me by my Grandfather, with the butt cut off straight, so i could reach the triggers, it knocked down more than one deer (000 buck (00+4 shot) handloads), wild dog running down deer, and later on, geese. Alot of memories in that fine gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a ,410 Nitro A Grade to add to the show and tell. As I remember it was made before the M-6 was introduced so it is a M-5 with all the available options AND a straight hand stock. I need to see if I have its invoice. Anyway, a pretty rare bird.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.