June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
11 members (Lloyd3, FlyChamps, Licensed to kill, FelixD, 3 invisible), 326 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,027
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I want to touch up the wood portion of the forearm of my 1956 Ithaca 37.

I am able to take the entire forearm assembly off the magazine tube but I am hesitant to remove the wood from the metal tube.

What will splashes of mild (ATM acetone-toluene-methanol) paint stripper do to a blued finish?

Thank you

Lou

Last edited by Bushmaster; 06/19/09 12:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably remove it. If you tape the area off with blue painters tape you will not have to worry about it. I would wipe off any remover that gets on the tape so it does not eat through.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Methylene cloride based strippers do not remove blueing. Blueing is a rusting process, not a varnishing process. No one would ever refer to these strippers as mild, and your safe, yearly exposure to methylene cloride is zero.
It lives in strippers, spray paints, and industrial cleaning processes. Zip Strip, and Ditzler Aircraft stripper, are two examples. Follow the directions on the can, remembering that it is about the worst carcinogen known to man, and that it is going to devour any varnish it or it's fumes get near.
The "mild" strippers use acidic components in a water based formula-I bet money they would be top notch blueing removers, but, haven't tried.
I do know for sure that ketchup, either Heinz or generic brands, makes a great blueing remover.
Don't ask me how I know this.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

never eat french fries while shooting.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Methylene cloride based strippers do not remove blueing. Blueing is a rusting process, not a varnishing process. No one would ever refer to these strippers as mild, and your safe, yearly exposure to methylene cloride is zero.
It lives in strippers, spray paints, and industrial cleaning processes. Zip Strip, and Ditzler Aircraft stripper, are two examples. Follow the directions on the can, remembering that it is about the worst carcinogen known to man, and that it is going to devour any varnish it or it's fumes get near.
The "mild" strippers use acidic components in a water based formula-I bet money they would be top notch blueing removers, but, haven't tried.
I do know for sure that ketchup, either Heinz or generic brands, makes a great blueing remover.
Don't ask me how I know this.
Best,
Ted

The stuff I use is not Methylene chloride based which is why I call it mild. It is Homer Formsby Furniture Refinisher which is an ATM stripper (acetone-toluene-methanol). Think of it as nail polish remover combined with gasoline and wood alcohol. It will still burn skin and you need the nitrile gloves but it is not methylene chloride.

Any thought if acetone-toluene-methanol will take off blueing if a little splashes on the metal when rubbing the wood with a paper towel?

I would think it would be okay.

Just to be sure I will try it on a part of the action arm that does not see the light of day.

Lou

Last edited by Bushmaster; 06/19/09 01:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Homer's brew won't hurt the blue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The solvents in your stripper will not remove blue. They will remove the gun oil you use to protect your bluing from rusting, so remember to re-oil the metal after your finish touch-up is dry.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.