June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (OldMaineWoodsman, obsessed-with-doubles, Lloyd3, Hugh Lomas, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 383 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,005
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#144849 04/20/09 03:46 PM
Tyler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got my 686 out to shoot clays with yesterday and on the first bird noticed that the rib had a dent in it. It is about half way down the barrrel and the rib is pushed down about halfway to touching the barrel. (hope that description makes sense) Should I just try to bend it back with a screwdriver or send it to someone? I have used Orlen and know how fast his turn around is. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tyler

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well..... I bought a gun with the same malady.I happened to have a flat tapered piece of walnut the correct width that I gingerly tapped in between the rib and barrel until it was the correct height. Looks fine.

Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brownell's sells a tool for about $30, that will do a proper job of it. Screwdrivers will likely mark up the barrel.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I pass number drill sizes under bent ribs until the bend is gone. Start small and take your time getting there.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used this method which seems easy.

First put a padded clamp on the posts on either side of the bend. If there is a long space between posts add another clamp [or two] closer to the bend to isolate it. Put strips of cedar wood shingles on opposing sides and gently move each one toward the other,thin ends first, so that your secondary clamps, if used, are supported between the barrel and rib.

Finally , take another pair of shingles and wedge them together on each side at the center of the of the bend, starting with thin ends first. Tap them together from both sides until the rib raises. Go very slow and remove the shingle wedges under the bend often, looking to see how much more correction is needed. One does not want to bend it back too much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just buy the tool from Brownells - or borrow one from a friend. Easy to use, fairly cheap and you cannot mess anything up or dent the barrels. I have seen several barrels dented by people pushing things between the rib and barrel and levering...

you can also charge your friends to borrow it - or go halves with somebody...

Tyler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took Jim's advice and ordered the tool. It is now $40 plus about 5 shipping. (My old catalog from 2002 did say #30.) I have a rib on an old BPS that could use some work too. Thanks too for the advice I now see has been added since Jim's. If I can just keep up with it until I need it again, it will be a bargin. As is, shipping for the barrel to someone and back plus their use of such a tool would cost more than the $45 I have spent. As always, I am privlidged to have access to the knowledge of this board. As Bill would say, All good!

Last edited by Tyler; 04/21/09 09:01 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.