Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DeeKay Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi guys, I shot a couple rounds of trap recently with my 1914 LC Smith 16g Trap Grade and found it difficult to break the gun open after firing, especially the left barrel. It seems the fired shells get tight in the chamber. I was using 2-1/2" Vinatagers. Any suggestions. Thank you, Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chamber could be rough, and need a light polish. If it is really a bad luck day, the chamber could be oversize now-did any of the cases have splits or ripped ends in them?
Best,
Ted

DeeKay Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Ted,
I used a maginfier light (actually an otoscope) to check for roughness in the chamber and found a hairline crack underneath the extractor that extends from the breach about 1/2" down the chamber. Any idea what could have caused that and if there is anything that could be done? Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats a bad place for a crack. However, is it a crack or a scratch? You are at the point that you need a professional, and if you know anyone who can use NDT methods to test, either zyglo or magnaflux, it would be a good time to look them up. If you don't know anyone who does that, look in the phone book for a good automotive machine shop.
A chamber sleeve might be possible. Kirk Merrington, or Briley's would need to take a look.
That sucks. Tight emptys might be a good indication of a crack in a critical area.
If you like your face as it is, maybe don't shoot it too much anymore, until you have some hard answers.
Best,
Ted

DeeKay Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks again Ted,
It is definitely a crack. I can see it on under the extractor and it goes from the flat to the chamber. I'll take it to a pro and get an opinion. I am guessing this crack was there before I received this gun about 5 years ago. I have only fired it a few times and used only short shells and light loads. A freind, who has since passed on, gave it to me. He did not shoot or hunt; it was his dad's. Maybe the crack is reason the rest of the gun is in such nice shape. Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the crack is flexing under pressure (highly likely), then the case is allowed to expand more than normal and may not contract back to normal size after firing. Check the metal head of the case just in front of the rim with a good caliper.

I'd be thinking of having the chmber bored, TIG welded, and chamber sleeved.

Now, that does not account for issues in the uncracked chamber. Better check that one, too. Carefully!!

DeeKay Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Rocketman,
You guys are a great help. The issue of the shells getting tight after firing did not seem as important as it has turned out. If I had not asked the question, I might have gotten hurt. I already have an eye that does not work because of the extreme sport of fishing. I'll let you know what I decide to do after I see the gun doctor. Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan, you have made a point worth remembering for all of us. Lots of us shoot old and newer guns. We all should wear eye protection, as well as ear protection when using them. Hopefully we'll never need to take advantage of the protection devices. I am really glad you found the cracks in the chamber. More use could have really been harmfull.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Free advise that was worth just a bit more than you paid for it. Good luck sorting the gun.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes guns are hard to open because the firing pins stick into the dents they have made in the primers when fired. Drag marks on the shells often show that the pins stuck.

I gather you are not seeing such marks, and that the shells are hard to pull out of the chambers after firing.

Shells with steel instead of brass sometimes stick in otherwise OK guns. Especially, if they have been reloaded; the steel seems to spring back from resizing, leaving it oversize, so the next firing expands it too much for extraction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.