June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Der Ami, gerryk_5, 1 invisible), 325 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,023
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would see if the current owner of the Chesapeake would have any problems if you talked to the Vet that diagnosed this condition and see just how many test they did to come up with the answer to why the dog has the skin problem.There may be more than one type, or place to purchase food that would work for the dog. You can also post this question on the Team Chesapeake sight on the "Brown Dog Chat" section. This sight can also answer any questions you might have about the breed.

http://teamchesapeake.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not saying this is the Chessie's problem, but my Lab seems especially sensitive to a particular local neighborhood park's grass. She develops a staph dermatitis (diagnosed by my vet) within a week of visits to this park. This has happened now 3 times. This last time was the clincher to ID the cause. Unfortunately, it's the only park within miles that I can use to train. Nevertheless, I can't take her to that park anymore. Treatments have included weeks of antibac shampoos, wipes and ointments, along with either pills or injections.

She also seems to exhibit a dry itchy skin condition when on dry chicken kibbles, which seems to be the prevailing meat. We were told by our vet to switch to lamb, which has eliminated the problem.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/07/09 10:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think SeaVet is on the right track with the allergy problem, could also be something like a grass pollen allergy too. I like Chessie and currently have two; they rarely seem to ever have anything wrong and are as tough as they come. Great dogs. Do you know if any others in this Chessie's family have got similar problems? Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also agree with SeaVet ...... I had a Bouvier with similar skin issues. I would take a look at the analysis of the $130 food to see what's in it .... and the nutritional content. You may be able to find a less costly feed that can be supplemented with ordinary food stuff ..... veggies, fish oil etc. In the end I made food for the dog ..... once a week I made up a very large batch of brown rice and added healthy protein of one sort or another, veggies and other stuff. Most years he got a regular diet supplement of venison, goose and a fair amount of fish from my pond. He lived a long (15 yrs) active life.

Al

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ron,
having just lost my best friend this week,a 7 year old Chocolate Lab,I am heart broken and have been searching the net for the "why".
http://www.hunt101.com/data/560/medium/DSC00510.JPG

One of the sites I came across about the food we feed our dogs and the problems they have has made me think twice about the Euk I was feeding them.Perhaps a call to FRRCO might offer another option.

http://www.emlabradors.com/flintriverranchdogfood.html

http://www.frrco.com/index.php

I have no clue if this would work but I am tossing the Euk and changing the food to the Black Lab I still have.

Last edited by Dave K; 02/07/09 10:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

At the risk of being "Mr. Negative", why are you pursuing this particular dog? - fully trained duck-retreiving machine?, price is right?, hate to see a nice dog be put down? Seems to me you are walking into a potential problem that could be avoided, unless you have a sympathetic, good veterinarian.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.