June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (j7l2, bushveld, M&M, 3 invisible), 371 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,006
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#132319 01/24/09 01:34 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Page 24, of Jan/Feb Shooting Sportsman contains an article about weighted handguards, made by John Bugden. I read about this while in the doctor place and as soon as I escaped, I ordered one. John recommended 4oz. for my 28 ga Ugartechea and that's what I got. Very quick turnaround, looks good, fits good and I hope to be able to shoot it soon. John is in Murray, KY. Phone 270-753-0305 or e-mail Johnwbugden@bellsouth.net

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also ordered one. I have the 8oz on my cz bobwhite. I like it very much. Craftmanship was great. I think I will order a 4oz as well for the field. I wanted the heavier one for trap.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now why does hanging half a pound off that little forend hanger seem like a bad idea to me?? Any thots on how many shots it will take to yank that tiny piece off of the bbl?
Mostly I guess I wonder why hooking an anchor to the bbl is a good move? Dinnit know that muzzle heavy bbls were all that sought after. Must be like those 34" O/U sporting guns - progress was so intense that it just blew by me. Boy, do I feel like I missed out or what??

just curious - y'all know me

WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonko,
If you take the time to look at one you will see it does not attach to the hanger it is sewn into the leather handgaurd. If your handgaurd is falling off your barrels I think you have some serious problems to worry about.
BTW I use the weighted gaurd for trap shooting so I can weight the gun down for shooting to help with recoil.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonker, using the weighted forearm increases the gun's weight for recoil reduction, moves the balance forward (personal preference), and --- now sit down and take a deep breath before reading the next words --- it increases the MOI to make the gun more "stable" in swing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

wburns and Rocketman should be drinkin' buddies since their views of physics are both so element rather than system focused. But the posts are always amusing for their originality. The simple fact is that your HAND clutching the forend adds a measurable, but maybe not significant, stress on the bbl hanger. If the handguard is NOT falling off with every shot it too is adding to the forces exerted on the hanger.

As to the weight/recoil reduction aspect - if you bothered to fit the gun properly recoil would be a non-issue for most people. As I mentioned in the past, I know more than one woman who has no problem with pigeon loads in a gun much lighter than the average trap gun - particularly in the front end. How does that happen?? A properly fitted gun would be my best guess. Or maybe they just enjoy killing more than whining about the average.

I'll add JMO, but of course it's the simple truth too

WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow - Jim Legg and Wonko the Sane, all in one thread. Hope you both are doing well.

Bill

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
wburns and Rocketman should be drinkin' buddies since their views of physics are both so element rather than system focused. But the posts are always amusing for their originality. The simple fact is that your HAND clutching the forend adds a measurable, but maybe not significant, stress on the bbl hanger. If the handguard is NOT falling off with every shot it too is adding to the forces exerted on the hanger.

As to the weight/recoil reduction aspect - if you bothered to fit the gun properly recoil would be a non-issue for most people. As I mentioned in the past, I know more than one woman who has no problem with pigeon loads in a gun much lighter than the average trap gun - particularly in the front end. How does that happen?? A properly fitted gun would be my best guess. Or maybe they just enjoy killing more than whining about the average.

I'll add JMO, but of course it's the simple truth too

WtS

You're so far off base on this topic I have to reply. I tried to stay out of it because someone else already answered your confusion. Didn't seem to soak in. The handguard mentioned in my post is made out of leather and slips around the barrels, IN FRONT OF THE FOREARM. Get it yet?

Hi Mr. Brockway. Good to hear from you.
jl

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

"As to the weight/recoil reduction aspect - if you bothered to fit the gun properly recoil would be a non-issue for most people. As I mentioned in the past, I know more than one woman who has no problem with pigeon loads in a gun much lighter than the average trap gun"

That could very well be true , but how many of those pigeon loads do they shoot in a day ? Let them shoot 300 pigeon loads in properly fitted gun that weighs 6 1/2 pounds tomorrow and then shoot 300 pigeon loads in a properly fitted gun that weighs 8 1/2 pounds the following day . Then ask them which gun had less felt recoil at the end of the day .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a few 6,5 or less pounds doubles that I can shoot for a 100 rounds or so of trap with 7/8 or 3/4 oz 1250 fps loads, but only one round with 1,0 oz 1200 fps loads. Even more, 10-15 rounds of 1,0 oz hunting loads at 1300 fps leaves me with a shoulder that reminds me of that the next day.

I shoot with the unweighted leather handguards -- consider them essential for splinter foreends. Might go looking for some weighted ones, now that I know they are commercial item -- thanks Jim for that information.

Niklas

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.