June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (grant1907, azgreg, HalfaDouble), 331 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,611
Posts546,975
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I watch guns online and in my local shops pretty closely and while I agree that there has not been any significant drop in prices, I have seen an increase in the quantity of nice guns available on the web. There are many neat guns out there that used to sell quickly and are now just sitting.

David
Sidelock
Sidelock

The thing I've noticed around here is that the black guns are flying off the shelves of the gunshops since the election.

OP Offline

Hope someone can report from the LV gun show. course it is always the perspective and perception of the individual pieces of interest that set the markets.

WHether a gun sells or sits is now a bit different, IMHO. used to be the market price caught up with the asking prices, eventually. Now its going to be: eventually plus a Great Recession Recovery period.

Jameister
Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen to that Sir- going to look over a 1907 (by Schwing serial number pocket guide book) Model 1894 in .30WCF sADDLE RING 20" BARREL CARBINE- Has been on consignment since August 2008- ditto a early "Parker Pin" hinge Fox Sterlingworth 12 ga-No c good Colts yet, but always looking for those also- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

On average, I'm sure we'll see an overall drop in prices. This includes the value of the guns in our safes too. I personally have no plans to sell at depressed prices, and have faith that things will rebound. That may take several years. But the guy who was overextended on mortgages, loans, credit cards, etc., and gets laid off will have no choice but to sell some toys. The fact that he has to let things go at fire sale prices will absolutely contribute to an overall decline that will affect the whole market for those items. If you pee into the ocean in New Jersey, the water level must rise in Great Britain.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

reports from a few dealers attending the Allentown Pa Gunshow a few months ago were to the effect that sales and attendance were way down. One fellow I know said it was the worst in the 40 years that he has attended with only a couple 20$ sales in 3 days. he is a long time Vintager member and had some decent Sterlingworths in various gauges and some higher grade guns as well as misc accesories at modest prices. Another gunsmith I know did make a few sales but they were generally arranged beforehand and in many cases heavily discounted for quick sale.

The grumbling of the other dealers in the area was the same or worse.

FWIW.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll be there..LV...I am sure the high end Griffen & Howe stuff will still sell....the low end, back room stuff will probably slow down...but we'll see how the prices have changed, if at all ??

Doug

EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jameister
wonder if the economic slump has any noticeable effect yet on your favorite toys?

People who have money still have money when GMC shuts down and AIG tanks and interest rates go to almost zero %. The question is where to move the money.

Methinks that people interested in expensive shotguns aren't checking their unused available credit on their plastic.

Not everyone sells into a declining Dow Jones Average, but those who do will have a hard time getting 3% interest in what looks like 5% (or more)inflation. Now may be the time to buy the Dow at 8,800 down from about 14,000 little over a year ago...

However, buying expensive shotguns runs up against the "buy and hold" I-got-more-than-that-in-it mentality. I recall times in the not so distant past (1980s) when Parkers were rare at gun shows, because they had been bought at high prices in the booming 1970s. Alcoa or Boeing or Microsoft or Enron can be dumped at a tax loss with regret, but not emotion. But fine-gun owners are loathe to take a loss. The market may dry up for a while, but I don't see any fire sales in the offing. I was wrong once, thinking I had been in error, but I was mistaken. EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only time I see anything really good around here is when "Ole' Patriarch" goes to the proverbial valhalla. It wasn't but few weeks ago that young mademoiselle brougt in Winchester grade six 2-barrel set. Everyones mouth went agape when some local hombre wrote out a check for 16k. That was because he was already picking up shipment of stuff worth about 50k.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The East Coast Fine Arms Show is this weekend. It should be interesting to see how the dealers fare. Attendance may not be an indicator but I doubt reliable info can be gotten from the dealers either. Some are gripers and some like to paint a rosy picture no matter what is happening.

So many guns, so little time!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.