June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Roundsworth, KS16ga, 2 invisible), 576 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,585
Posts546,743
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
gomiata Offline OP
OP Offline

It seems that only Charles Hellis makes guns entirely by hand, no CRC, arc welders etc. Are they the last? Does anyone else make guns entirely by hand, not hand finished? Also, does anyone out there own, shoot or handled one of their current guns? Is the Hellis quality today what a Purdey was like in the 30's?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never heard that, but I guess it's possible. But what does "entirely by hand" mean? Are they filing up raw forgings for the action, forend iron, etc? If they are, I wonder who is providing them?

What about the bbls? Are they drilling their own tubes?

And if a company uses CNC-shaped parts and then fits them by hand to Best quality, I wonder if it really matter.

Thanks

OWD

BTW: what do you mean by "Purdey-style" locks over on the other board? Do you mean a Beesley action? And do you mean Hellis is making guns on Beesley actions?

Thanks again.

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 12/31/08 09:18 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
gomiata Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes the locks are Beesley action. Far more difficult to make than the H & H action. As to does it matter if the parts are CNC and then finished by hand? In the 30's Purdeys were more or less built by hand. Most of the gunsmiths that I respect feel these guns are far superior to the new Purdeys. Also trying to find someone who has and has used a new Charles Hellis??

Sidelock
Sidelock

I kind of agree with you on quality. I was in London last fall and I checked out new guns at H&H and Purdey's. They were bad.

And I've heard gunsmiths say that because so many of the parts are being CNCed, the gunmakers have lost the skill that it takes to really file up the action, metalwork, etc and make it all right.

That being said, I still wonder where Hellis is getting raw forgings. I'll have to look into it. Perhaps I'm mistaken on some of this.

Also, I hear the new Greener SxSs are spectacular guns. I haven't had one in my hands yet, but the people I know who have handled and shot them say they are the finest guns coming out of the UK.

I haven't heard a thing about Hellis, but that doesn't mean much.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK. Some clarification:

Is this the claim you're referring to?

http://www.hellis.com/shotguns.html

From what I can tell, Hellis uses a modified version of a Baker patent for their O/Us. Boothroyd talks about this action in his book on British O/Us. The Beesley-patent action that Purdey uses is for SxSs.

Other than Baker, I don't think any else has ever made an O/U on this system. And I believe Baker made very few of them.

I think some of other makers bought guns from Baker in the white and then put their names on them, though.

As for their "hand made" claims, it's suspicious. I kind of sounds like the way the US food industry uses the word "organic."

I sent Hellis an email to try and lean more.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm curious to see what we'll find out.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 01/01/09 06:51 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
gomiata Offline OP
OP Offline

I am talking about SxS

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gotcha. My mistake - I didn't see them.

But again, what does "totally hand built" mean? I'll have to find out.

There's no claim about their SxS being the only one totally hand made, either.

OWD

BTW: The Atkin spring openers I've handled haven't been much easier to close, if at all.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
gomiata Offline OP
OP Offline

I was in London last year and went by train, outside of London to their 'Facility" (Hellis). Just a bunch of first class gunsmiths working out of their small shops. I saw the fellow making the locks- like something from 50 years ago. When they say handmade - they just mean - I believe, with very little modern technology. I went to Bosis, outside of Milan. Some would say he is the finest lockmaker in the world. They are wonderful people. He brought out a new lock - magnificent. I am an engineer and have never seen anything quite like it. It was made to his specifications by a Swiss company, machine made. I am sure no one could hand make a lock of this quality BUT at this price would you prefer a gun, perhaps not "perfect" but made on a bench by a craftsman? Just my 2 cents.
As to Purdey Vs H & H locks I feel that Purdey locks are more "alive" than H & H. Again my 2 cents.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your comment on the lock is interesting. Why couldn't someone make a superior lock by hand?

I'm a writer, so I don't know a thing about engineering or machining.

I have an old Scott Premier hammergun with beautiful Stanton locks. They were perfectly. They were handmade.

Thanks

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love lockwork.
But, all of it is based on reproduceable relationships between parallel shafts. Geometry. Measured, reproduceable geometric relationships.

You can study locks with a jewelers loop, or an electron microscope, and the necessary relationships do not change.
You can only get them in 2 ways. By hand, or machine. But to make more than one gun of a type, these relationships must be reproduced. Machines reproduce parts better than human hands.

It's about what the lock mechanism means to you. Up to a point, I enjoy and admire looking at the file strokes of the lockmaker. I marvel at the consistency of the hand work. I love being able to fantasize about life at the bench, creating art from cold steel.
But the geometric relationships don't change, and every part is a list of actions taken. So, until the human-human relationship is established, tying one person's desires to another's hands, the machine made lock looks and works the same.

It really is about, "This lock was made for you."

A patron pays for that connection, not the numerical differences.

Out there doing it best I can.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.