doublegunshop.com - home
Coppery receiver, drilled and tapped. Interestingly, it has a Remington Model 30 .30-06 barrel. Not particularly good shape, but I am thinking there is the markings of a .35 or .400 Whelan classic Sporter here. Especially for $250... Floor's open.
Are you selling or asking for advice?
Advice. It's at a pawnshop in the area.
A quick trip to the reborer's and you have your .35 or .400 Whelen.
If the metal is sound and not beatup and you are willing to spend the money it could be a good deal. I'd have to see it to make that decision or recommendation.
Is it a 1917 surplus or a Remington Model 30?
I think 1917. Remington military marking on receiver.
I'd rather a 35W built on an 03 or 98. But not that the action can't make a nice sporter as many have been built on it.

One thing I'd check for since it's a Military 1917 action w/a commercial bbl installed on it is that the action isn't cracked.
I'm just assuming a bbl change outside the factory.
The 1917's often have their original Military bbl's torqued on quite tight.
Removal methods can get quite monsterous and heavy handed depending on the 'smith and a few rebbl'd 1917's have shown up w/cracked recv'rs. The cracks attributed to the removal of and the methods used on those heavily torqued into place bbl's. Wether that being the source of the cracks is fact or fantasy, the cracked recv'rs do in fact show up occasionally.

They usually crack on the bottom of the ring, so taking it out of the wood is the best for close examination.
Just something to keep in mind,,not all of them are damaged merchandise.
Remington made/marked 1917's are usually the nicest made of the 3 makers IMO.

Just some thoughts...
It HAS been refinished since the rebarrel, as both barrel and receiver show the brownish plum color you get when nickel steel is reblued in a too cool tank. I would think a cracked receiver would be noticed...
I believe most of the cracked recievers were Eddystones,I understand they used hydraulics to install the barrels.A groove turned in the barrel(parting tool)just ahead of the barrel will ease things along.
Mike
Originally Posted By: Plain Old Dave
.... I would think a cracked receiver would be noticed...

I gathered it was reblued with the coppery looking finish, but as far as a crack in the recv'r is concerned,,don't depend on the last guy to cull a bad one out for you. Some don't know,, some don't care.
The crack(s) aren't gapping openings, at least in the few I've seen. Hair-line would be a common term and barly that. Check carefully and w/magnification is my advise. It's just one of those things on the check list when looking at a sporterized 1917.

The mentioned relief cut on the old bbl right up close to the rec'vr is the easy way to avoid any of the problem w/removal. But the gun in question is way past that point.
Everything looks good. On layaway. Long term, it will go to JES for a rebore, and I am thinking Lyman or Redfield peep sight. Wood, my pockets aren't deep enough for handmade, so I am thinking about the Boyd Classic. The floorplate has been straightened, too.
What options do I have for rear sights?
Dave

Check your "messages"

Gary Bush
Don't have any. If you sent one, I didn't get it.
Dave ,
Check PM now it should be in your box
Gary
Dave,
I'll try it this way

I have Vaver No. 39EN. Refer to Nick Stroebel's book "OLD GUNSIGHTS", page 119.

If you would like to see some pictures, please email me at: kaglbush@stic.net

Gary Bush
210 828 3426
Sent the e-mail earlier this evening.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com