doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Hammergun Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/01/14 04:51 PM
I just put this on hold. Unmarked above the wood. Caliber unknown but probably 8mm. Missing rear sight. Thoughts appreciated. $275.

Posted By: Alvin Linden Re: Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/01/14 05:30 PM
Average Guild gun, plain and simple, most likely 8x57J. Don't put a lot into it, you're close to max value now. JMHO
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/02/14 02:45 AM
If the bore's decent, especially if it is an "S", around here we would say you stole you a great hunting rifle.

In Southern California $275 will just about get you a worn Mossberg .22 by the time you get done bribing the various governments to let you have it!
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/02/14 10:34 AM
I've been told the set triggers are worth $300.00. I'll guarantee you got more than your moneys worth.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/02/14 01:58 PM
Looks like a good deal to me, make sure that the bore is good
and make sure that the double set triggers are working correctly.
A rear sight isn't hard to find. There is a seller on ebay
"dosenroller" who has a lot of parts for german rifles.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/02/14 04:33 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I wasn't looking for a rifle but I just couldn't leave it on the junk rack at the gunshop.

I will definitely do a chamber cast and slug the bore. I really hope it's a .323. If not, I guess I'll have to learn to load for it. The bore does look good.

I have a Mannlicher-Schoenauer with double set triggers so I understand them and will check for proper function.

Thanks PhysDoc for the tip on rear sights. I can solder a new one on, no problem. I just want one that will look correct.

I know this rifle isn't valuble, but it seems solid and well done. It also fits my style of hunting just fine. It won't have a scope,but maybe a bolt knob peep someday if I can find one that doesn't cost too much.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/02/14 06:05 PM
Hammergun,
If it is 8x57I,it will be no harder to load for than 8x57IS.If the barrel/chamber does demand .318" bullets, Buffalo Arms has them in several weights. Your rifle may accept 32Winch.Special bullets(.321")or even .323"(even if marked for .318"bullets).American 8x57 factory ammo is loaded "down" so to be safe in 8x57I rifles.You can shoot a box or two of factory ammo and have readymade cases to load up to the rifle's potential.This rifle is not a collector's item, but will make a very good hunting rifle.It would be no great sin to have a scope mounted on it.
Mike
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/03/14 06:23 PM
Looks like a good honest Mauser that has a lot of days in the woods left in it.
Posted By: Texan Gun Re: Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/03/14 06:39 PM
Good looking old Mauser, if you post pictures of the proof marks on the German Gun collectors forum someone will be able to tell you where it was made and sometimes who made it. They helped me with a unmarked 8x60 Pre-war, nice find at a great price.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/04/14 12:40 AM
Thanks everyone. I feel much better about my impulse purchase. I need to stop going in gunshops!
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: Unmarked Mauser Sporter - 08/04/14 11:58 AM
A new rear sight and a little TLC and that is a nice rifle and a good buy at that price. If the barrel is bad it might take a rebore to .35 Whelen.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com