doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Blair What might it be worth? - 01/30/13 02:07 AM
Thinking of putting my rifle up for sale with the plan to convert it somehow to a very nice shotgun. Don't have a clue of what the market is like now.

This is W.J. Jeffery .333 EX ejector double rifle from 1913-1914 with Leonard chopper lump barrels #1887. It has two sets of Southgate ejectors, one for flanged and one for rimless cartridges. The barrel flats are marked with the caliber, the BP, BV and NP proofs, Cordite 42 and 300 max markings. The bores are brilliant with flat lands and sharp edged grooves and no discoloration....very good to excellent. There are leaf sights for 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards and a rod front sight fitted for a hood which is not present. The is a doll's head and third bite and the 13 King Street, St.James St., London address.

The receiver has the big headed tigers and standard #3 model engraving, disc set strikers, gold "safe", blank oval, thin Silvers pad and nice wood with several decades of honest but minor handling marks. *385 is stamped in the wood just behind the plain pistol grip cap. There is no cheek piece. The water tables are stamped with the BV proof marks. Case color is at about 75% while barrel black is 95+%.

Posted By: AkMike1 Re: What might it be worth? - 01/30/13 03:39 AM
Is it with the case and all the trappings too?
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: What might it be worth? - 01/30/13 05:38 AM
Yes it is cased in an oak and leather period case with a previous owner's name embossed on the lid. There are really no other accoutrements with the rifle with the exception of the extra set of ejectors. I do have about 60 pieces of brass for it, most empty and a few loaded.

Posted By: bushveld Re: What might it be worth? - 01/30/13 02:53 PM
Uncommonly nice condition rifle for its age. It is worth quite a bit if its barrels are original to the rifle and it groups as well as it looks. Whilst we need more photos of top lever to determine whose third fastner system it was built with (WR or whoever), however with just what I view I suggest it is likely a plus/minus $15,000.00 rifle in America, considering what we see as rifles bringing at Holt's these days.

Bv
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: What might it be worth? - 01/30/13 04:07 PM
Please don't convert this into a shotgun. Please.
Posted By: WildCattle Re: What might it be worth? - 01/30/13 04:13 PM
Bob,
Please check your PM.
WC-
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: What might it be worth? - 01/30/13 04:14 PM
Full retail = $12000
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: What might it be worth? - 01/30/13 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid

It would be converted into dollars first and then to a shotgun! smile
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: What might it be worth? - 01/30/13 05:22 PM
I'm thinking that it'd be around $15,000 at retail.
Is that a Leonard built rifle? Look for some tiny numbers near the forearm hook.
Posted By: PM Re: What might it be worth? - 01/30/13 06:05 PM
15 to 20K. It is a nice looking Jeffery.
Posted By: markainstine Re: What might it be worth? - 02/13/13 04:12 PM
It looks fine with its general appearance.
Full retail = $12000 is really good to see.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: What might it be worth? - 02/15/13 12:09 AM
Guys.....I am NOT converting this rifle to a shotgun! Again, if I wind up selling it (as the fine RIFLE it is), I'm thinking of buying another nice shotgun with the proceeds from the sale. Any questions? laugh
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: What might it be worth? - 02/15/13 01:45 AM
Nope! I thought you were clear on your intentions!
Posted By: ed good Re: What might it be worth? - 03/15/13 12:08 PM
put it on gunbroker with a $15,000 reserve and see what happens..
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: What might it be worth? - 03/18/13 02:23 AM
Yeah, ed's had a lot of luck selling a gun on Brokedown Auction, take his advice by all means.
Posted By: ed good Re: What might it be worth? - 03/18/13 02:49 PM
kid: you got a better idea? if so, lets hear it...
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: What might it be worth? - 03/20/13 07:07 AM
It's gone to a good, loving new home, Dave got a little piece and I've got a new toy coming.
Posted By: ed good Re: What might it be worth? - 03/20/13 01:27 PM
ah, happiness is a sold gun...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com