doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Run With The Fox ID'ing older Ithaca 12 Damascus gun - 08/17/08 08:44 PM
I am fairly comfortable with ID on the NID-both the early models with cocking indicators and the later, ditto the Flues- A friend has an older 12 with 30" Damascus barrels DT EXT- Ithaca on the sides of the receiver- I haven't seen it yet- any quick tips on wheter it is a Crass, Manier or other series before the Flues. Supposedly a relative bought it new in 1900. Thanks- (wish I had a copy of Walt Snyder's book-)!!
Posted By: Rick Beckner Re: ID'ing older Ithaca 12 Damascus gun - 08/17/08 09:21 PM
1900 era would be a Crass if it is a Hammerless Model...NIG if it has hammers. Highly recommend that you buy Walt Snyder's book post haste. Order it directly from him and he will autograph it for you: wsnyder@pinehurst.net
Posted By: Bret Adams Re: ID'ing older Ithaca 12 Damascus gun - 08/18/08 01:50 PM
99% of the time, you can tell a Lewis and Crass apart by counting the screws on either side of the frame, a Crass has 5, and a Lewis shows 4, since the sear pin is hidden under the wood, on the Lewis model. The exception, is if either has ejectors, that adds a screw on each. The sure way, is if you can open the gun, and see if the rib extension is pierced. I Lewis has a rib extension bite, a Crass does not.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com