doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: thomaswoodward A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/21/08 11:10 PM
I just purchased a well used side by side made by A. Chapu of Paris and was wondering if anyone has any information on this maker.

The gun is a sideplated boxlock ejector, finely engraved with an articulated front trigger and a third fastener. The barrels are English (Toledo Steel - Sheffield) but proved in France. The gun is very well made and finely balanced. I bought the gun for my son.

Thanks in advance.
Michael
Posted By: LeeS Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 12:24 AM
Chapu or Chapuis?
Posted By: thomaswoodward Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 12:29 AM
It's Chapu.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 12:50 AM
thomaswoodward:

Chapu rings a bell, but it is the bell related to a French artist Henri Michel Antoine Chapu of the latter part of the 19th century. What decade would you guess it to be from? Maybe Darnation can shed some light on it.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 12:51 AM
I remember an article on some better french guns in the DGJ awhile back..
I seem to remember they were rather nice.....I'll see if I can hunt it up & report back
cheers
franc
Posted By: thomaswoodward Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 01:20 AM
Hello Raimey,

I did a google search and the best I could do was Henri Michel Antoine Chapu. I would guess that the gun dates from the early 1900's. I've seen the name referenced somewhere before, but it's been several years.

Best regards,
Michael
Posted By: thomaswoodward Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 01:23 AM
I also checked "Side by Sides of the World" by Charles Carder, but no luck.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 01:31 AM
Michael:

I've looked thru the continuing French gunmaker list here on Darnation's site, http://www.gournetusa.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=139 , but I don't see it. Solely by the character arrangement, I would first guess Andre Chapuis, DGJ Vol. 5, Issue 3 at page 25 but yours is Chapu.

Another thing too, Toledo conjures up Spain w/ me. Can anyone source me on the tubes?
Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 01:49 AM
Not listed on LittleGun
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20francaise/a%20accueil%20arme%20francaise%20gb.htm
Posted By: ellenbr Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 01:53 AM
revdocdrew:

Thanks as it would have assisted early on regarding the French list and maybe help get me out of France.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: darnation Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 02:05 AM
Auguste Chapu, Paris. Known to have been in 1894-95 at 5 avenue de la Grande Armee.
Posted By: thomaswoodward Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 02:06 AM
I looked the gun over again for anything else that may help. The locks are marked, "A. Chapu Paris". The barels flats are marked "PT" with the symbol of a star above the initials. They are also a series of stamps that look like a shield with a crown above. The action bar bears similar marks with "A. Chamu" and "Paris". The barrels are marked, "JNO. HY. Andrew & Co LTD. TOLEDO Steel Works Sheffield N". The serial number is 3923.

Not much to go on, I know.

Thanks for all your help.
Michael
Posted By: ellenbr Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 02:16 AM
Very good info Darnation. From knife collecting, I knew Sheffield had some fine blades and I have found some tube steel info here: http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fre...amp;oref=slogin . And the A. Chapu tubes would have been made at Andrew Toledo Steel Works in Sheffield.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: thomaswoodward Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 02:47 AM
Hello Raimey,

The date of the articles corresponds with the information that darnation supplied. Seems like a very nice address for a gunmaker.

Best regards,
Michael
Posted By: darnation Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 03:09 AM
Your gun is proof in Paris.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 12:38 PM
In DGJ, Autumn 2001, Gary Murphy wrote an article entitled "The History of the Shotgun: A French Revolution". It includes a photo of a Chapu. He also mentions the maker (in passing), and seems to indicate he was still in business after WWI (or maybe WWII). However, Chapu guns are not often seen in this country, and should not be confused with the much more prolific Chapuis.
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 12:55 PM
Raimey, Any leads from this Thread for further Imfo' on the"Drawn Steel Company"??..Auguste Chapu, Paris. I have had 2 Chapu's 'on the bench' both were owned by "French Chap", a Scholar of the First Water",A Charming Continental,nothing like the description that Queen Victoria gave to her "Subjects" about the French!!The Guns were of the Highest Quality,from the 'Nose-end to the Butt-Ends of the French Walnut Stocks. For a farther evaluation of the "High Standard of the quality" of the 20 bore, Mr Paul Hodgins,"Stockmaker Extrordinaire"(Formerly of the House of Holland & Holland..Factory, not the Clothing Store),Paul was commisioned to Restock the 20',The Lad did 'Well& Good'.I got to see the gun at a later date. I'm sure Auguste would have been"Chuffed", even tho'an Englishman had had his 'Grubbies" all over the'Fro.....Delete...French built Shot-Gun. I was.CC/dt
Posted By: ellenbr Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 02:13 PM
crossedchisles(Mr. Trevallion):

No joy as of yet in the Drawn Steel Company. But I can tell you that J.H. Andrews of Andrews Toledo Steel Works crossed the Pond no less that 60 times to convince the Americans to use his steel in the Brooklyn Bridge. And regarding steel/furnace workers in Spain: in 1872 the furnaceworkers survived on a daily regment of 2 lbs of bread, 1 ounce of olive oil with a pinch of salt all cooked in a pot of gaspacho.

Also, I need to amend, partially retract, revise an early statement on holding steel tubes to the Damascus bar: not only in the strength category, but also in the economic/cost category. Steel workers/tube makers knew the dynamics of Damascus tube making(likely mechanized) inside & out. "Compressed steel" was a relatively new fangled idea and when techniques and costs(mining, shipping & processing) were under control, the pure economics lead to the demise of Damascus tubes.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: thomaswoodward Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/22/08 04:07 PM
It's nice to hear that Mr. Trevallion has come across the maker before. I was particularly impressed with the guns balance and handling qualities. The barrels are 28 1/4 inches (metric no doubt) and it weighs in at slightly under 6 lbs. A very lively double. The length of pull to wood is 12.5 inches followed by a series of spacers and rubber pad that get it to 14.25. Since the gun is for my son I plan to start him out at 12.5 inches and move up from there.

I've included a couple photographs of the gun.

Thanks again for all your help.
Michael

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/murynowi/AChapu/photo#5180592896009739090[/img]
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/murynowi/AChapu/photo#5180592861650000690[/img]
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/murynowi/AChapu/photo#5180592917484575586[/img] [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/murynowi/AChapu/photo#5180592947549346674[/img]
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/23/08 12:53 AM
thomaswoodward...not much help but I have nice no name Belgiun SLE with best features , art'trigger, bushed pins stocked to fences etc..though the locks are marked with the "Britte" stamp inside.....bbls marked under forend HY Andrews Toledo steel works Sheffield England.
No one has seemed to have heard of them,,,,,Raimey,what do you know about Mr Andrews & his Toledo works??
love to hear any info.
Yours looks to be a nice sideplated BL
thanks
franc
Posted By: ellenbr Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/23/08 03:07 AM
Franc Otte:

And you have the other set of Toledo tubes. I have to make better notes. I can tell you a little more about Toledo Steel Works than I can Drawn Steel Company. John Henry Andrews had an electro-plating business from the 1860 till the 1920s. His mark was "Toledo" surmounted by "hand & sabre". In the late 1800s the John Henry Andrews Toledo Steel Works in Sheffield(Neepsend Works?)(1892-1926-1 source) made crucible steel and convinced America to buy the steel for the Brooklyn Bridge from his firm. I read one souce that noted he used the Bessemer process, Bessemer-Mushets, or some modified Bessemer to make his crucible steel.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/23/08 10:00 PM
Gentlemen, Isn't this DB/Gunshop"The tits"...So much to learn, so little time! (By the way a 'tit' on a Purdey S/O Beesley
Action is located....Where?.). This is pure JP&S Workshop slang. I have been asked what type of Action the 2 Chapu guns had.. Both were Top Quality Side-Locks,Gold washed all inside parts....cc/dt
Posted By: ellenbr Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/23/08 10:26 PM

If you are referring to the "Tit-Bit" near the knuckle of the Purdey action, the tit-bit butts against the lower parts of the ejector tumblers forcing them to rotate on their respective axes.

One interesting note on the Brooklyn bridge is that the German immigrant John Roebling, an engineer, experienced a crushed right foot(toes) while on a ferry moving some timbers, within a fortnight, tetanus set in and he died of lock-jaw in a month or so. I'll get the "rest of the story" and the specifics if anyone is interested.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/23/08 11:15 PM
Raimey, I think we may be talking about the same part on the action. Its real name is the "Drop" made fitted & regulated by the Ejectorman. It regulates the "drop" of the Barrels when the top-lever is opened. I will talk to Rev Drew to see if he would be kind enough to post a couple of "Pics" for me .I have just replaced and modified 2 JP&S 12b...cc/dt
Posted By: ellenbr Re: A. Chapu - Paris? - 03/23/08 11:25 PM

Would it be the lower projection on the action with the upper projection being the "Cross Bar"(fastened to the knuckle)? You've asked the question at a most opportune time as I'm trying to wade thru "The Modern Shotgun" by Major Sir Burrard and I'm in the "Special Actions" chapter.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com