doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: zehyani stock finishing - 09/17/07 01:38 AM
Hi all,

I added a piece of wood to an oil finished stock. I started to add some truoil to the stock as well as minwax to stain it. Is there any sequence I should follow, ie minwax/oil/minwax, or just oil for several applications, then stain with minwax? So far, I have used two or three coats of minwax and 7-8 of oil.
Posted By: Buzzbee Re: stock finishing - 09/17/07 04:00 AM
You should stained the wood to match the rest of the stock first then go over it with oil.
All oil finish has some tint to it which will affect the over all finish. To get a near perfect match, you may try it on a piece scrap to see how much it will manipulate the finish under direct sun light before you attack the project.
Posted By: Pete Re: stock finishing - 09/17/07 05:27 AM
You can add darkening agent to lose the seams of where the wood comes together. Wax keeps finish from adhering to the next coat. Sounds like you should strip the work you have done so far. Go to the home page here, click on advertisers and go to Pete Hiatt Gunstocks then click on my article on finishing.
Posted By: zehyani Re: stock finishing - 09/18/07 02:35 AM
Buzzbee, Pete, thanks

I am using truoil and some minwax. I am not sure how many coats of each to use. I don't want a near perfect match, just want to protect the wood so it will not get damaged when i abuse the gun in cold wet conditions. The seam is pretty obvious.

Mr. Hiatt, good article on stock finishing. You have some very pretty pieces of wood on your site. It was helpful to read, and I am using steel wool between each application.

thanks
zehyani
Posted By: JayCee Re: stock finishing - 09/18/07 02:52 AM
Pete, Minwax is a brand of wood treating products. But you surely already know. :-)

JC(AL)
Posted By: JayCee Re: stock finishing - 09/18/07 02:53 AM
Pete, Minwax is a brand of wood treating products; no wax involved. But you surely already know. :-)

JC(AL)
Posted By: zehyani Re: stock finishing - 09/18/07 02:54 PM
The minwax can says stain, seal and protect. It is a liquid. I have noticed however that repeated applications of oil with a light run over with steel wool seems to be doing a good job.

Question.

When do i stop rubbing oil in? how many coats is enough?
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: stock finishing - 09/18/07 03:56 PM
When the pores are filled, it is smoothe and you have the desired sheen. Then you can rub lightly with some rotten stone.

Jim
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com