doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good English Gons - 05/11/23 08:10 PM
got into a couple of collections of english gons last year...

learned a lot, still novice in that world...

big question....why is there such a disparity in perceived values...

understand the box lock/side lock thing...and the level of wood and metal embelishment thing...

but, what about the rest of it...all english made gons i have handled appear to be made to a very high standard of fit, finish and reliability...

dont git why some brands demand five figures and others do not...

what i really like about english gons vs american gons is the lighter weight and better balance one finds with english made gons...

after handling several english guns, i find american guns to be too heavy and clunky...

i used to be a fox guy...but not anymore...
Posted By: canvasback Re: English Gons - 05/11/23 08:32 PM
Really Ed. You don’t know anything about consumer branded product and how the branding of a name….. like Nike…..can affect how much people will pay for a product?

If you really don’t you must have somehow avoided retail stores for the last 50 years.
Posted By: eightbore Re: English Gons - 05/11/23 10:00 PM
I'll bet the owners of ed's English gun collections are thrilled with the deal ed gave them.
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/11/23 11:53 PM
back, i must confess brand bs does not impress me...
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/11/23 11:54 PM
bore, the internet marketplace determines the value of most gons i sell...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: English Gons - 05/11/23 11:55 PM
Definition of “gons “:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gons

“Go nuts”

How appropriate.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 12:00 AM
gon, how a spanish friend of mine pro nounes the english word gun...
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 12:06 AM
gee, can we now focus on guns and not me...
Posted By: John Roberts Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by ed good
gee, can we now focus on guns and not me...

Why should we when all you're interested in is you?
JR
Posted By: mc Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 12:55 AM
The reason some English guns sell for more is blah blah blah blah blah understand edd
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 01:20 AM
Answering a troll feeds him. Ignore him and he starves.
Posted By: mc Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 01:46 AM
Sorry I couldn't help myself
Posted By: canvasback Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by ed good
back, i must confess brand bs does not impress me...

You asked a question Ed. I answered it correctly. It doesn’t matter if it impresses you or not. It’s the reason for the price differentials you asked about.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 09:40 AM
You dismantle two sidelock SXSs and you SHOW, proving beyond all doubt, reasonable or otherwise, to a potential client why a Renato Zanotti is the superior of the two. Superior in terms of material (alloy steel not mild steel), engineering (redesigned lock with rebound tumbler, reinforced lockup), superior in terms of engraving, signed by Baglioni. Not only superior but also offered at a fraction of the price of the high end name gun made in the UK.

The buyer opts for the English name. Because his friends will recognise it and envy him.

And that is how you get to the situation where no one gives a sucker an even break, because the sucker deserves to be suckered.
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 10:59 AM
sorry, have little knowledge of italian side locks...zanotti sounds like something new...if it was made after ww2, it has no charm for me...guns like women, have to have charm to be interesting...

most of my recent experiences with english guns have been with box locks, which when compared to american box locks, seem to be superior in every way...

just now getting into a side lock collection...an army & navy, a william evans, a w & c scott and a cogswell and harrison...all of which appear to be superior to any side lock gon made here...especially when considering appearance and handling qualities...
Posted By: Buzz Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 02:08 PM
You can say that again re quality sidelocks.
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/12/23 10:36 PM
and then there is the woodward box lock that arrived today...

i am in love...
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: English Gons - 05/13/23 09:16 AM
Renato Zanotti worked in the 1920s and 30s. He was succeeded by relatives who went on to maintain and improve on his work. The pinless Zanotti sidelocks made in the 1980s are superb masterpieces

But you are right, you keep buying English stuff, that keeps the prices on masterpieces like Zanotti at reasonable levels so reasonable people can afford them.

Notice that no one has shown any curiosity about the mechanical improvement on the sidelock action which improved safety and durability. Contrast with the eagerness to know about second tier stuff marketed by the cooperative Army and Navy stores, the British version of the PX.
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/13/23 02:43 PM
as i am not knowledge of zanotti brand or most other italian made gons, i will defer to your claims...

perhaps, after i am over my anglo crush, i will move on to the medi ter rain ian gons...

but, much of what drives my interests is determined by what is consigned to me for sale...
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/13/23 02:48 PM
like, i am now researching woodward box locks...
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: English Gons - 05/13/23 03:36 PM
Just watched a Zanotti 28b sell for 20% over high-end estimate. As a $6k gun, it was pretty nice but I would not say it was undervalued relative to a comparable English gun. A Toschi and Best and a number of other non-Brit Euro guns just sold at what seems to be pretty decent prices this morning.
Posted By: mc Re: English Gons - 05/14/23 01:38 AM
Some buy quality not the name
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: English Gons - 05/14/23 11:12 PM
I imported some of these guns. No sidelocks only boxlocks. They were nice guns. I looked at this gun and seriously considered bidding on this. I thought it might go reasonably as of the not so known name recognition. But I wondered what I would do with it if I won. So logic won out. I can tell you this, I would have lost out if someone was willing to pay that kind of money.

John
Arrieta
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/15/23 11:41 AM
gee guys, it hard, but pls do try to focus...

the topic here is english guns...
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/16/23 06:12 PM
got a question...

what is the difference between atkin and purdey brand guns..
Posted By: KDGJ Re: English Gons - 05/16/23 07:03 PM
You may want to read this: Purdey-Atkin

Ken
Posted By: ed good Re: English Gons - 05/16/23 10:09 PM
kd, thank you...

sounds llke atkin solved the purdey closing problem...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com