doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AGS Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 06:58 PM
The LB&S ads on Gunbroker include a listing for a Charles Daly Diamond Grade.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/963215066

This is one of only two or three reserve auctions I can remember from them.

I found it interesting for a couple of reasons. I don't particularly recognize the damascus pattern, but am not an expert on them. It actually looks similar to the few inhouse Parker made Laminated barrels (I have one of them).
The second thing is that you can just see part of the Linder stamp on the barrels. Other than the serial numbers, there seem to be no significant markings on the gun. Their writup indicates that Lefever at the time was their US contractor, and they thought the gun likely was built in Germany but finished by Lefever.
Could this be the case? I had never in my limited experience heard of this connection. I will have to say that even before I read it, I immediately thought of high grade Lefever engraving when I saw the bottom metal. The upper engraving looks normal but the bottom has a combination of birds, animals and dogs that looks very much like theirs or a high grade Ithaca.

Any comments on this? The pictures in the listing are awful, but the link to the high rez photos are revealing.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 07:21 PM
Damas Corche or Manufacture Extra
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XuCCbfPdvqotYhKRw5rhQ1QNYwxbH-3qVF-yXO3H5QY/edit

Another Diamond Grade

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sears catalog No. 107 Fall 1898

Posted By: AGS Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 07:39 PM
Thanks Drew. I had read before about Dalys not being proofed if for export but had somehow only associated that with European export. Was it a general rule during the early years that guns such as the V L & D guns were not proofed? That would be a lot more logical. However, the gun listed doesn't have any markings such as Sears or V L & D. The others in that category I have seen have always been marked by the merchandiser.
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 07:43 PM
I know that George Lindner sourced actions and barrels were imported into the US and finished/labeled by several gunmakers ( Schaefer & Goelcher for example).
I know of Daly branded Lindner guns that used Lefever patent actions ( sidecocker), but I am not aware of any Lindner or Daly guns “ finished” by Lefever.
I cannot recall reading about Daly ever using Lefever Arms as a subcontractor for any of their import lines.
I would be interested to know how L,S&B came to their conclusions- and why they felt inclined to include that bit of “reference” in the historical trace.
Best Regards,
JBP
Posted By: canvasback Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 07:48 PM
This looks like a pretty typical pre 1892 Lindner made Diamond grade. The 35xx serial number points to a late first series serial number so production would be sometime in the last few years before 1892. Engraving style looks standard.....I was just looking at a similarly dated Diamond grade last month.

The guy writing the blurb doesn't know what he's talking about. The lack of proofs are because Prussia didn't have a proof house or require proof marks prior to 1892. And Daly didn't introduce a Regent Diamond model until nearly 20 years after this gun was produced.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 07:48 PM
Interesting that Lock, Stock & Barrel put a reserve on it. May be the 1st one of their auctions that didn't start at 1 cent. This Anson & Deeley Body Action with Belts & Braces in the 1st Lindner series; therefore, will not have any proofmarks. Typical Lindner-Daly near the end of the 1st series where most of the 2nd series will experience proof. I see the tubeset mechanic's initials but I just cannot make them out. Too, it doesn't wear the A&D APUN so this one is just outside the patent protection period.

Probably cost $2k U.S. of A. to bring it forward.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 07:55 PM
All Suhl & that line about Lefever is a crock.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: canvasback Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by J.B.Patton
I know that George Lindner sourced actions and barrels were imported into the US and finished/labeled by several gunmakers ( Schaefer & Goelcher for example).
I know of Daly branded Lindner guns that used Lefever patent actions ( sidecocker), but I am not aware of any Lindner or Daly guns “ finished” by Lefever.
I cannot recall reading about Daly ever using Lefever Arms as a subcontractor for any of their import lines.
I would be interested to know how L,S&B came to their conclusions- and why they felt inclined to include that bit of “reference” in the historical trace.
Best Regards,
JBP

Because when you are trying to sell something to the American collector, "Prussian Daly" is good, "Prussian Lindner Daly" is better and "Prussian Lindner Daly with a whiff of Uncle Dan" is best of all.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 08:00 PM
The initials of the tubeset knitter look to be >>A.B<< for now. It fits with others from late in the 1st Series.

......>>2706, 3551, 3665(August Blatt of Albrechts is a strong candidate along with Alex. Barthelmes of Zella-Mehlis, who was probably a decendent of Leopold Barthelmes(ss), a master gunmaker of Zella in the mid 1800s. Emil Barthelmes founded a gunmaking business in Zella in 1854.<<

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ub...p;Words=blatt&Search=true#Post487633

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 08:27 PM
[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Top right, one can view the H.A. Lindner Quality Control Stamp(QCS) being the crossed pistols.

Trieble >>Bump<< on the forend

Along with the >>Cat Eye<< ejectors screws.

Again, 100% Suhl.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: canvasback Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 08:29 PM
LOL, Raimey is doing all the hard work confirming my shoot from the hip, bold statements! Hahahaha. Thanks Raimey.
Posted By: builder Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/11/23 09:29 PM
The barrel extension looks like it is set back too far. What would cause that?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/12/23 12:04 AM

Last Nail, the engraving more than likely is by the Master mechanic Hugo Kolb, Uncle of H.A. Lindner. Fritz Heimbeck, apprentice of Hugo Kolb, was probably closely following Kolb's craft about this time??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: canvasback Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/12/23 12:19 AM
Raimey, other than we know Kolb was working on Lindner’s guns at that time, is there something specific in the engraving you are keying on when you suggest it was probably Hugo’s work?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/12/23 01:12 AM
Really that tight scroll and how he address the border that bounds the adornment plus the Antlers on the Roe Deer seem to be the dead giveaway???

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: mc Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/12/23 01:28 AM
Is it a master mechanic or engraver?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/12/23 01:35 AM
Ah, engraver but I put these in the same bowl as the master mechanics even if he can't depict Roe Deer antlers.

Serbus,

Raimey
rs
Posted By: canvasback Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/12/23 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by ellenbr
Really that tight scroll and how he address the border that bounds the adornment plus the Antlers on the Roe Deer seem to be the dead giveaway???

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

I’ve got access to a few Dalys with deer. Going to have a look at those antlers.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/12/23 03:10 PM
LS&B are a consignment type auction seller. They do get a lot of interesting guns to sell. I expect the reason for the $2,000.00 starting bid is the seller wanted it that way. Might be afraid of this gun going for some “bargain” bid. LS&B do an excellent job with pictures and good job with descriptions so very few gems slip through the cracks. Their descriptions need to be taken with a small grain of salt but compared to many other sellers they are within a stones throw of the truth. I think a lot of their sales get more attention by starting low and getting multiple bidders interested in bidding long before the close.
Posted By: CJO Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/14/23 12:36 AM
Finally got around to fixing picture issue

Here is one you looked at James….guess this must be by Kolb

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Posted By: canvasback Re: Charles Daly Diamond Grade - 01/14/23 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by CJO
Finally got around to fixing picture issue

Here is one you looked at James….guess this must be by Kolb

In pictures, the GB gun and yours have a lot of similarities, Claudio. However, at 7 pounds 11 oz, the GB gun is at the other end of the scale. Lol.

BTW, did you get much snow overnight?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com