doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rjack Case repair - 12/29/21 04:55 PM
Are any videos available showing repair/refitting of trunk cases’ interior ?
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Case repair - 12/29/21 09:36 PM
I don't know of any videos.
My advice to anybody considering refitting a case is:
1. Repairs are very difficult to do well as it is rare that the new, or salvaged, baize will match the original. It can be done but it is very challenging and involves a lot of good 'ol luck! I have relined dozens of cases but repairs are always approached with trepidation!
2. If doing a total reline, be prepared to go slow, seriously consider each new component and offer up at each stage until you KNOW it will fit nicely!
3. Preferably use animal glue as small excesses can be easily cleaned off using hot water and a Qtip. Also, if it all goes wrong it is easy to remove the offending item, clean up and try again.
4. Don't use 'felt', use baize. The weave in baize makes it easy to remove if it all goes wrong, felt can result in much bad language! It also looks a lot better, albeit much more expensive.
5. Don't worry about what no one will see. I have stripped out many, many cases made in the C19th to very high standards and the bodges you see can be quite amazing! And you would never have known!
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Case repair - 12/29/21 10:13 PM
Find a billiard repair place and buy high quality billiard cloth. It is durable and easy to install. Just glue one section at a time and stick it place with map tacks until it driesThen stretch the next side, glue and map tack it.
Posted By: gil russell Re: Case repair - 12/29/21 10:35 PM
I have done several using pigskin (it comes in lots of different colors). It's no more difficult than using felt and looks much better, more authentic for vintage guns. PM me if you want more details. Gil
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Case repair - 12/29/21 10:47 PM
Take pictures as you take it apart to help rebuilding.

And +1 on the billiard table cloth.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Case repair - 12/30/21 02:15 AM
This may be of help

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...;Main=42655&Number=527918#Post527918
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com