doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill/Oregon New question, old subject: Choke work - 11/05/20 01:00 PM
Been a while since I have enjoyed the wisdom of this forum. Say, I just bought a Husqvarna Model 20 from Simpson Ltd., described as choked full and full, this meaning "Swedish full and full." I'll have it in hand to actually measure the chokes on Saturday, but would like to ask for recommendations on a smith to open this to I/C and M. I am in New Mexico, so the closer the better. Is Mike Orlen still at the top of the list?
Thanks for any advice, gentlemen.
For the umpteenth time here. Dean Harris dba Skeet's Gunshop, Tahlequah, OK. World's best. Nothing against Mike Orlen, you understand.
JR
Posted By: SKB Re: New question, old subject: Choke work - 11/05/20 02:09 PM
Stressed out this morning John? Gee whizz, the guy only has a few posts here compared to most of us. Maybe lighten up a little?
Thanks John. I had searched under Husqvarna, but not "choke work."
Non aggressive intent. I just know how many times we've seen this asked and answered here over the years. But yeah, I'm stressed out of late...
JR
Posted By: dogon Re: New question, old subject: Choke work - 11/05/20 03:00 PM
There's a good list of outfit's to do this type of work. Here's my short list in no particular order.

Mike Orlen
Kirk Merrington
Briley's
Skeets

The underlying question as always is; Why not just accept the gun as it is & not anticipate altering a gun you haven't even inspected or shot yet? IMO opinion we in the shooting community stress out a little more than we should about choking in the average shooter shot gun. The equation changes when we're talking about competition shooting at a higher level. I would experiment with different loads and see how the gun actually patterns before I would consider altering the chokes. Gun fit may be more important for being able to hit the intended target than choking. Just my 2 cents, it's your gun & money, good luck with it & may you have many great days enjoying it.
It's a Husqvarna, not a Purdey. This old link might be of interest. One suggestion was to shoot ammo with fiber wads instead of plastic to open the patterns.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=318754
My experience says, that you will find that fibre wads open the pattern less than expected.
Even spreader loads will not make an improved cylinder pattern out of a full choke, and the Swedish liked Xtra full.
I was actually planning to start with black powder handloads in Magtech brass. I have all the appropriate 11- and 10-gauge Circle Fly wads at hand. But I might just want to order a flat of RSTs at some point. I have found that shooting BP loads really warms up the barrels on these LeFaucheaux guns.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: New question, old subject: Choke work - 11/06/20 08:48 PM
I second the opinion of selecting Dean Harris from Skeets Gun Shop in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. And he is close enough that it will not be a transcontintal shipment. Call him, he is a very friendly and well versed expert. 918-456-4749
One caveat that may or may not pertain to your Husky........... Orlen doesn't like messing with damascus barrels. He honed a set of them for me but it was like pulling eye teeth getting him to do it. Several months wait, and several calls.

I've learned that in life in general, and specifically in this vintage gun repair business, you don't want anyone doing a job for you that they don't really want to do. I'll never try to talk a gunsmith into doing a job that they don't sound eager to do, again.

SRH
Stan, this one was manufactured in the 1950s. No twist or damascus.
Good deal, Bill. Orlen would likely do fine.

I just had Dean Harris open the chokes and lengthen the chambers on a 20 ga. Sterlingworth Ejector. Great work and such a pleasure to do business with someone who actually seems to enjoy talking to you about your gun.

Best wishes, SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com