doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Hrenegade Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/12/06 07:29 PM
Any of you folks ever come across any of these? Would like to find a couple.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/12/06 08:20 PM
Jeff, Tom Ondrus is having them re-cast as I write this. There is only going to be 50 made to begin with to test the water. Having engraved a few & own one, I can state they are the most accurate SS rifle out of the box I have ever run across. Contact me at my home address & I'll give you the info you are looking for. Ken kenhurst@cox.net 910-221-5288
Posted By: mig0621 Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/12/06 08:55 PM
Wickliffe Rifles were made in Wickliffe, Ohio in the late '70's. I think that they had tax problems and lost the business. The mfg. equipment was bought by a local gunsmith, Ed Medves, and he would make a Wickliffe Rifle in any cal. until a few years ago when he passed away. I had Ed make one for me in .223 cal. . As Ken Hurst stated, they are very accurate and the action is extremely strong.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/12/06 09:52 PM
you are right Mig ---- the problem was that Tom Kocis who developed the rifle, needed a money man to back the business. He found one who knew nothing about the firearm business but needed to invest money in a loosing business for a write off. The rifle really took off --- Elmer Keith and Bob Steinler (writers) both received an off the shelf rifle within a few days of asking at the YO ranch where they wewre to hunt. Elmer told me it was the most accurate out of the box SS he had ever seen & they both loved it. When the invester discovered he was making lots of money , he immediately shut the place down. There were many, many orders still waiting del. but he wouldn't fill them. The parts were sold to others who wanted them, perhaps the guy you mentioned. Tom Ondrus now has the remains of these parts and has built some rifles, I have one. He is having some actions cast by original casting co. and I have put him in touch with another co. to use that is better. I have redesigned my action to imp[rove it's looks & lighten it. Perhaps in the future it too will be avaulable. Ken
Posted By: I. Flues Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/12/06 11:00 PM
Jeez! And I grew up right next to Wickliffe in Willowick, OH! The history of guns never cease to amaze me!

Mike Doerner
Posted By: mig0621 Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/13/06 11:45 AM
Mike - I grew up in Wickliffe and still live there. The Wickliffe 76 rifle Co. was on E. 289th St. off Euclid Ave. Ed Medves (the gunsmith I mentioned) lived in Willowick.
Posted By: Hrenegade Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/13/06 12:08 PM
My father & his best friend are going to Oklahoma to the Biggest gun show in the country in a week or so, I am going to have him look around for a Wickliffe. If I can not find one there, I will run a add for some around here. I also would like to see a couple of the Rifles this new guy is building.Tom Ondrus Is the guy having new actions Cast?
Thanks for any info you guys can get me. Jeff Hren.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/13/06 04:26 PM
Contact Tom at cabletools@alltel.net --- tell him Ken Hurst sent you.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/13/06 08:06 PM
Hrenegade,
Your Dad and his best friend are headed to the correct place to look. I'll bet I've looked at a dozen or so in the past 4-5 years at the Tulsa show.

Ken, I would like to see how you've modified the action. They are definetly not.......svelt.

Regards,
Ken
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/14/06 12:29 AM
Ken N. ----- send me an email and I'll send you pictures of both sides of action. Ken

kenhurst@cox.net
Posted By: Hrenegade Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/14/06 04:01 PM
Thank You for all the Help guy's!!! any Idea what the going price of these Rifles is Blue book calls for $550 in the box but I have had a dealer tell me he wouldn't sell one for less than $1,500. Which is more accurate?
Thanks Again Guy's. Jeff Hren
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/14/06 04:26 PM
$1000. is not out of line for some collectors. I have seen them sell for less.
Posted By: Hrenegade Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/16/06 06:48 PM
Thanks Ken!
Posted By: Grampajack Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 10/16/06 07:35 PM
Back in the mid 80s there were quite a few around N. E. Ohio. I bought 2 for 300 bucks once. Kind of wish I had kept one. Tom is a good guy and easy to deal with. Last time I was up to his office he still had some actions left but I bet they went fast. Jack
Posted By: scott barber Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 11/15/06 03:07 PM
Would like to have any information on gunsmith Ed Medves from N. E. Ohio. Have one of his rifles. would like to know what kind of barrels he used . The rifle is a 7x61 s&h
Posted By: wickliffenut Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/07/07 03:53 AM
Hi. I am new to this sight. I have 2 Wickliffe rifles for sale. I have an original 24x36 Wickliffe poster. 4 embroidered hat patches. 4 or 5 magezine artichle reprints. They were made by the Triple S Development company in Wickliffe, Ohio. I have a model 76 deluxe in a 270 cal. with rings and bases. And I have a Stinger model in a 223 with rings bases scope sling. It came original with this stuff on it. I sold my commemmorative 30/06 about 6 months ago. I live in Iowa. These are originals before the bankrupcy. $1200.00 for each rifle
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/07/07 04:17 AM
My .270 is the most accurate 270 I have ever owned & would never sell. Ken
Posted By: Craig Libhart Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/07/07 05:12 PM
Hrenegade:
Send me an e-mail; I may be have some info for you.
Craig Libhart
libhart1@ptd.net
Post deleted by Dave Weber
Posted By: mc Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/12/07 06:38 AM
ken could you email me some pics thanks mark engraver@sdaccess.net
Posted By: Franchi Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/12/07 02:44 PM
Gunsmith:

I doubt Wickliff used Shaw barrels. I think that Shaw bought the Federal Firearms barrel making firm later than Wickliff existed.

As far as Douglas diamond lapped barrels are concerned, Douglas told me that they do not lap barrels due to the fact that if one knows how to make a barrel, one does not have to lap it!

I own two rifles with barrels made by Federal Firearms and they are the worst barrels that I have seen!

I lived in Wicliff in 1964 but never visit Wickliff Arms.

I may wrong, but that is how I remember the past.

Franchi
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/12/07 04:30 PM
I apologize to anyone who has a Wickliffe and enjoys it for I do not wish to diminish your rifle. I feel I must post my experience with one example of these guns. I bought one in 3006 back in the 80s, it had beautiful wood. The blue was more a purple, but that didn't both me. What did bother me was the first time a took it to the range it consistently misfired. After examination I discovered that while the firing pin was centered in the breech block the receiver had been machined off center for the barrel and thus the breech block/firing pin did not align with the rifles chamber. It was a clear explanation for why the firing pin hit so far to one side on the primer. I was unable to return the rifle or find someone to repair it so I set about to fix it myself. I will say once I had completed the task I was so fed up with the piece I had thoughts of placing it muzzle down in the yard and hammering it till the butt plate disappeared. I owned it for several more years and sold it for $175.00. It was without doubt the worst experience I have ever had with a gun! I am not saying this is the standard with these rifles, but I feel and obligation to advise, those interested, to look them over carefully if buying one. I also have seen a few young guys walking about gun shows looking to sell them.

Best to you,
Kurt
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/12/07 05:30 PM
There were some origional frames & parts being sold as kits in the last few years. There was some smithing required and that may be where the problem arises. IF, the tinkerer or smith didn't know his biz, a rifle similar to what is being described can appear. This is the first person I have evr heard of that has had such a problem ---- perhaps this is the cause of the problem. FWIW, Ken
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/12/07 06:14 PM
Douglas may perhaps have quit lapping their barrels, I do not know, but they sure as heck used to do it. I toured their dirt floor factory 25 years ago and they lapped them at that time, I saw them doing it. Things change, no doubt, so maybe the new technology does not require lapping, but I would be surprised that they totally eliminated it.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/13/07 02:40 AM
Anyone have a picture of these guns?
Post deleted by gunsmith
Posted By: CJO Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/13/07 05:06 PM
Gunsmith,...was triying to send you a pesonal message but it does not seem to be working....looking for info on these rifles

please email me

copacak@arraymarketing.com

Thanks,

CJ
Posted By: wickliffenut Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/14/07 07:37 AM
I am very happy with the accuracy and craftsmanship of my rifles. MR. KOCIS is the person that sent me all the information and stuff that I have. I don't have a way to put pictures on the comupter. The factory I worked at for 27 years closed down (MAYTAG) so I need the cash. It's not that I want to part with them, it's just one of those things I guess.
Posted By: Franchi Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/14/07 03:22 PM
Hi ChiefShotguns

I jusst got off of the phone with Douglas Barrels and was told a few facts about their barrels.

First, they never had dirt floors in any of their buildings. The orginal room that was built in 1947 had no dirt floor.

Second, they do not nor did they ever lap thir barrels,diamond or any other means. They do diamond lap their carbide buttons.

Perhaps this may clear up some misinformation regarding Douglas barrels.

Sincerely,

Franchi
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/14/07 06:45 PM
I think what chief was refering to was an area where the bbl's were stored after finishing --- at first I thought there was a dirt floor.

GUNSMITH ----Tom came to Colt factory as a guess of mine to see how some polishing was done. I passed him off as a cuz so he could get in. Next time you see him, give him my best regards and tell him I still,own #999 that he sent me & it's the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. Also, I was at the NRA show in Salt Lake when Elmer and Bob Steindler stopped by for a talk -- they also sied it was the best out of the box rifle they had ever owned. FWIW, Ken
Posted By: Franchi Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/15/07 03:30 PM
Hi Gunsmith:

I too was raised in Apollo. I had a friend while in high school named Tom Kocis. The last time that I saw Tom, he was working in the Apollo Hardware. Do you have any idea as to how I may contact him? He is one of those people whom we can not contact to invite to a class renunio

Who are you and where where were you raised? Perhaps our paths crossed many years ago. Do you still reside in Western Pa.?

You may contact me at 718-536-3334.

Sincerely,

Franchi
Posted By: Franchi Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/15/07 03:34 PM
Gunsmith:

That phone number should read: 717-536-3334

Franchi
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/15/07 05:14 PM
GUNSMITH ---- I would appreciate seeing the rifle. My address is ken hurst @sudden link. net (remove spaces) Ken
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/16/07 12:41 AM
Originally Posted By: gunsmith
I have a lot of pictures.

Care to share one?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/16/07 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: gunsmith
We are finishing one currently. When it is done, I will e-mail you one. I still have not figured out how to put pictures on a forum.A high tech red neck I am not.I am to busy being a gunsmith

Thanks, just like to get a handle on what we're speaking about. Found two pics with Google.

recoil@optonline.net.
Posted By: tomo577 Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle *DELETED* - 12/21/07 03:32 AM
Posted By: tomo577 Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle *DELETED* - 12/21/07 03:47 AM
Posted By: postoak Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/21/07 04:18 AM
Dang another Soap Opera thread cranking up !
Posted By: Hrenegade Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/21/07 08:07 PM
Wow! kind of curious to see where this one goes now!! Not sure the right or wrong, but hopefully someone will get the right of it & post!
Just seen this post was back & still going!!
Posted By: john dozier Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/21/07 10:15 PM
And just when you thought it was safe............
Posted By: tomo577 Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle *DELETED* - 12/22/07 03:59 AM
Posted By: Hrenegade Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/23/07 10:17 PM
tomo577 please send me a couple of pics of your currant models please. Thank You.
Jeff Hren
Posted By: tomo577 Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle *DELETED* - 12/26/07 12:59 AM
Posted By: Hrenegade Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 12/28/07 12:14 AM
Tomo577; my email is jeff_hren@hotmail.com
Posted By: dogbones Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 01/06/08 04:50 AM
wickliffenut,

do you still have the rifles?

thanks
john
Posted By: wickliffenut Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 01/10/08 10:53 PM
Yes, I still have 2 Wickliffe rifles, and the original boxes.
Posted By: JRH Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 01/11/08 02:36 AM
Dog,

I know of two Wickliffe rifles on auction sites if you are interested in the locations...just drop me aline.

Jeff
Posted By: dogbones Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 01/18/08 01:34 AM
wickliffenut,

please email me a dogbonedoctors@aol.com
Posted By: dogbones Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 01/18/08 01:34 AM
jrh,

please email the locations of the rifles at dogbonedoctors@aol.com
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: Wickliffe 76 Single shot Rifle - 01/18/08 04:47 AM
This thread has been edited and now locked…

Hey Tom & John...

You two seem to be having a urine squirting match on my BBS.

The BBS is a public forum and as stated in both the terms and conditions you agreed to when you joined up and on the main forum disclaimer page. I am not responsible for content and you participate at your own risk.

I do not know either of you so I have no opinion on your personal
issues....I do know that the DoubleGun BBS is not the place to air
your dirty laundry or sling insults at each other.

So here is the plan....I was asked and I have removed the objectionable posts...which would be all of them from either of you. I can remove a post that is deemed objectionable as stated in the terms and conditions of the site. Since I don't know the story the best course of action is to eliminate all the variables.

I will ask you both to play nice from here on out...You may wish to consider avoiding discussions involving certain topics or individuals.

Again...public forum...non-moderated...so I will leave it to your two to settle as gentlemen.

And John...the threat you sent me...aka Lawyer thingy email below was not received well. My fine establishment is me and my wife and kids and honestly I have nothing to do with you your friend or how you choose to communicate with each other. You had to agree to the terms and conditions of the BBS prior to posting and there is a big disclaimer on the front end stating very clearly “participate at your own risk”...and that “I am not responsible for any content”.

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:33:29 EST
Subject: Wickliffe rifles
To: davew@doublegunshop.com
X-Mailer: 9.0 for Windows sub 5101
X-Spam-Flag: NO
Can you please delete the slanderous comment made by Tom Ondrus against me, John Duncan, my wife Cheryl, and my friend Dan Skiles concerning the Wickliffe rifles? I have been a gentleman the whole time I have been on your web forum, but Mr.Ondrus, true to form, has chosen to slander my name, professional integrety, my company, and my wife. If It is not removed, my attorney will have no choice but to include your fine operation in the pending slander law suit. I have written permission to make the Wickliffe Rifle from Mr.Tom Kocis. I also have the original drawings. Thank you for your time
John Duncan

And just to remind you both when you signed up you agreed to the following:

Considering the real-time nature of this message board, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB or any entity associated with this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message array(s).We reserve the right to reveal your identity array(or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you. Participation is at your own risk and judgment.

So the bottom line is that as hard to believe as this may be...YOU and YOU alone are responsible for a post you submit to this BBS.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com