doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Konor3inch Alexander Henry 28 bore hammer gun - 07/01/18 07:32 PM
I have just returned from an excellent day at the Scone Palace Game Fair, I bought Donald Dallas’ book Alexander Henry Rifle Maker after being advised by Donald himself that around 25% of its content was about Alexander Henry shotguns as we were on the Holts stand he was able to show me a very impressive Alexander Henry 28 bore damascus barrelled hammer shotgun which just oozed finesse. The gun will be in the next Holts sale and I was told it has good barrel measurements , the gun isn’t mine nor do I know the owner but I thought it might make a good upland gun for some lucky person
Posted By: skeettx Re: Alexander Henry 28 bore hammer gun - 07/01/18 08:21 PM
Wonderful, wonderful
Single or double barrel?
Any rifle proofs on the flat?
What grade of shotgun?
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Alexander Henry 28 bore hammer gun - 07/01/18 08:38 PM
Hi skeettx I’m not in the trade but I have looked through the Alexander Henry book over the last few minutes. No matches so far but it was an impressive piece and warranted mention from Donald. The external finish was excellent ,well browned Damascus barrels well figured stock and engraved lock plates. The gun shouldered well and from memory wasn’t short in the stock perhaps 14.5 inches. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a best grade. Balance was superb ,to a layman anyway compared to a 12 bore it was akin to casting a lightweight 4 weight rod compared to a heavy 7 weight.Delightful
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Alexander Henry 28 bore hammer gun - 07/01/18 08:48 PM
I only handled the gun and didn’t dismantle it so don’t know if it had originally been a rifle and so proofed but my impression was that it was an original shotgun. I would have thought it’s rifle heritage had that been the case would have come up in the discussion but I can’t be certain. It was double barrelled and swung like a lightweight shotgun rather than how I imagine a double barrelled rifle of 28 bore size would weigh and feel but as I say I’m not in the trade so am no expert. It just seemed that the guns niche might lie on your side of the Atlantic rather than here hence the heads up
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Alexander Henry 28 bore hammer gun - 07/02/18 12:50 PM
Sounds lovely. I will be looking forward to their forthcoming catalog.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com