doublegunshop.com - home
Is a Model 21 with double triggers and ejectors worth more or less than the same gun with a single trigger?
The gun I'm considering is a 12 gauge field gun, 30" mod and full, solid rib---nothing really special except for the double triggers---I know a number of double trigger guns were with extractors but this is an ejector.
I once had a single trigger 16 gauge, non ejector but, foolishly, sold it.
I recall that 25+ years ago double trigger guns were slow movers. But at that time 16 gauges were slow movers too.
So what's your opinion---is the double trigger version worth more or less than the equivalent single trigger gun?
Double trigger ejector 21s are uncommon, worth about what a single trigger gun would be worth. They will become cult guns in the future, if not now.
It's been almost an hour since you posted and I would have
thought by now we would have heard from the Model 21
Poo-Pooers and Nay Sayers.

My 1933 Model 21, 20 gauge, 2 barrel set with Ejectors.
As far as a premium, I would suppose that depends
on how badly the next guy wants one.

Nice looking gun, Bob. The straight stock and double triggers go together nicely.
Personally, I'm ambivalent on double triggers---I will use them in nice weather but when I have to wear gloves, then I'm a single trigger guy.
Posted By: dogon Re: Winchester Model 21 with Double Triggers - 03/04/17 11:03 PM
I had DT,Ejector model 21 20ga.

One of my biggest regrets in gun trading. I sure wish I still had the gun. DT ejector guns are far & few between. Especially in the small bores.
Posted By: pooch Re: Winchester Model 21 with Double Triggers - 03/05/17 12:12 AM
I'm glad to hear the double triggered guns are being sought after. For the longest time they were, relative to single triggered 21s, inexpensive. I've had about three double triggered 21s, but I never came to like them. They certainly have a mystique and scream value given their robust nature and quality of wood. But they are just too heavy to my tastes and not nimble. I've always liked a 21 but never took to one.
my 16 ga M 21 has double triggers and I looked for several years to find one. I think the prices are the same because some of us double trigger nuts would actually pay a premium
Posted By: ajjar Re: Winchester Model 21 with Double Triggers - 03/05/17 03:10 AM
Yeah I'd say it's kind of a wash- much fewer guns with double triggers AND ejectors, but fewer folks who want a 21 want double triggers ( and splinter forends). Any sxs with a straight grip should have double triggers and a splinter smile
Cult status among subset of collector/bird hunters. Maybe it will increase over time. Or not. Mine's a 20 ga.

Agree DT/EJ gun value's pretty much a wash at this point - rarity vs desirability. Maybe b/c the 21's SST is pretty reliable.
Here is one for sale

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12826
Originally Posted By: Grouse Guy

Not a bad workhorse you found there. It is improved because it comes with thin choke tube system and recently freshened up look. A big and worthwhile upgrade imo. I can tell you now Winchester boys will hate them choke tubes. I would say if you need knockabout gun it is worthy of consideration and respectable offer to the sellers.
As a lefty, I have no use for a single trigger gun with the barrel selector as a button in the trigger. They are always set up for the open barrel with the button on the right and it is awkward to change from the left side. The only M21 that I own is a straight grip trap model with single trigger and extractors that I got cheap.
Originally Posted By: Tom Martin
As a lefty, I have no use for a single trigger gun with the barrel selector as a button in the trigger. They are always set up for the open barrel with the button on the right and it is awkward to change from the left side. The only M21 that I own is a straight grip trap model with single trigger and extractors that I got cheap.

As left-handed shooter your ideal gun can not be large factory or mass-produced. What you need is shotgun with appropriate cast, trigger arrangement and lever that operates right to left. That requires custom ordered gun or second-hand one made that way for somebody else. I'm sorry to tell you this but Winchester 21 isn't that shotgun.
Originally Posted By: Tom Martin
As a lefty, I have no use for a single trigger gun with the barrel selector as a button in the trigger. They are always set up for the open barrel with the button on the right and it is awkward to change from the left side.

That's a little hard for me to understand. It is no harder for a lefty to push from right to left than it is for a righty to push from left to right. As a right-handed shooter I used to shoot O/Us with this type barrel selector all the time, and never noticed it being a problem to move from left to right. I just curled my finger under the trigger guard and pressed it.

Not being argumentative, Tom, just don't understand why it is that bad of a deal for you.

SRH
Posted By: M&M Re: Winchester Model 21 with Double Triggers - 03/06/17 01:55 AM
pooch, this one weights 6.53 lbs. and has an MOI of 1.3 on Don Amos's machine. With 26" barrels, it's pretty quick. Also, 16 gauge.

Posted By: gunut Re: Winchester Model 21 with Double Triggers - 03/06/17 02:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Grouse Guy

there ya go....asking 4k for a reblued choke tubed 21.....that's about as far from sane as it gets....
Jagermeister: I have no problems with guns that have no cast or with the standard lever or trigger set up. I do like a left hand palm swell, but it doesn't really affect my shooting like the safety does. The safety on the Remington 3200, the Ruger Red Label, and the Miller trigger on an IJ Skeeter that I once owned are ideal for me, being truly ambidextrous, as the barrel selection is just part of taking the gun off safe, with no extra motion of my hand required.

It is easy to understand why he has issue with Model 21 selector. It is the same as Ithaca Sakaba selector. To take the gun off safe one needs to push from right to left, but for left handed shooter it should be left to right. When one realizes that index finger does to pushing the problem becomes quite clear.
The good news is that Model 21s with the tight choke on the right are not unheard of. It was a John Olin thing.
Posted By: pooch Re: Winchester Model 21 with Double Triggers - 03/06/17 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: M&M
pooch, this one weights 6.53 lbs. and has an MOI of 1.3 on Don Amos's machine. With 26" barrels, it's pretty quick. Also, 16 gauge.

It's really quite beautiful. I've never tried a 16ga 21. This one looks and sounds quite nice. The wood is more like what I expect to see on a 21. However I lean more toward English doubles and secondly to Italian O/Us. But what I think or like is of little consequence.
Posted By: mergus Re: Winchester Model 21 with Double Triggers - 03/06/17 07:02 PM
What does MOI stand for?

Mergus
Posted By: pooch Re: Winchester Model 21 with Double Triggers - 03/06/17 07:33 PM
Moment Of Inertia, an indication of how well a shotgun swings.
Originally Posted By: pooch
Moment Of Inertia, an indication of how well a shotgun swings.

The above mentioned model 21 has an MOI of 1.3. How is that figured/measured, or are we getting too far off topic?
If so, disregard.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
It seems to me that if you are looking for a double trigger M21 they may be hard to find. On the other hand if you are trying to sell a double trigger M21, the buyers are hard to find.
Guess, that's what collecting is all about.
I think it's like that for any double barrel in Canada!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com