doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: JDH Nitro-Special - 02/21/17 03:38 AM
Does anyone know who will do repair work on these shotguns?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Nitro-Special - 02/21/17 08:17 AM
What type of repair?
Posted By: JDH Re: Nitro-Special - 02/21/17 12:13 PM
It has a broken firing pin and the forend wood is split.Thanks,for replying.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Nitro-Special - 02/21/17 02:30 PM
I had a smith in Illinois replace a firing pin in a NS I once owned. I think he charged me about $30, I remember it wasn't very much. As for the forend, you could repair that yourself with some epoxy. Put epoxy on the split pieces, fit back together, wipe off any excess that squeezes out, and wrap them with an old bicycle inner tube or (lightly clamp them in a padded vice). Let the epoxy cure for an hour then unwrap and carefully wipe off any additional excess epoxy with acetone on a rag. Rewrap the part for at least 12 hours, though 24 hours is better.

Steve
Posted By: JDH Re: Nitro-Special - 02/21/17 03:21 PM
I would repair the forend myself, but, it's not my gun. It is a family gun which belongs to another individual. He wants his grandson to use it this turkey season. Thanks.
Posted By: Jpari Re: Nitro-Special - 02/21/17 03:25 PM
Rockdoc has given you sound advice on the forearm repair, but, I would just like to add that if the forend is not split into two pieces you can work the epoxy into the split with dental floss. Being a woodworker I have done this many times with split wood and it works well.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Nitro-Special - 02/21/17 04:40 PM
Simple repairs but I understand your predicament. You can send it out to any number of smiths around the country but I would first source the pin, Numerich arms has them for $14. Try Gunther Pfrommer who knows much about Ithaca's, who actually made it.

You can actually blow epoxy into the forend crack with compressed air, heating it with a hair drier will thin it out a bit for better flow.

Best I can say is ask around locally.

FYI.... http://shotgunworld.com/bbs//viewtopic.php?f=12&t=434243
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Nitro-Special - 02/21/17 05:51 PM
Replacing the forend might be better. If the damage is bad enough.
I have in stock a number of new old stock forends for nitro soecials from the ithaca factory, plus a number of like new takeoffs.

I also have boat loads of new firing pins for them.

Let me know if you or your smith need any parts.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Nitro-Special - 02/22/17 12:06 AM
If I remember correctly you can do the pins yourself but it's quite the job to hold the hammers against spring pressure to reinstall them. I think my buddy and I modified a c-clamp to make it easier. It's been 20 years or so so I hope I'm remembering correctly.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Nitro-Special - 02/22/17 01:13 AM
Installing the hammers needs a tool made for the job. It can be done without, but it is very difficult.

Also, it is a good chance the firing pin set screw may not come out easily. They are staked in and can be a pain to grt out at times.
Posted By: JDH Re: Nitro-Special - 02/22/17 03:26 AM
Thanks to those who replied. The local smith would not attempt the job. He ask me to try and find someone else to do the repairs. Mr. Dudley I will tell him what you have in parts .Thanks.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com