doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chuck H 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 12:07 AM
... another day older & deeper in debt????

I'm wondering what the heck I'm doing buying all these guns and thinking of thinning the chaff and keeping the grain. I see many doing this as they mature in their "collections" and their tastes and knowledge. How many of you have done similarly? Advice?
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 12:34 AM
Down to six and counting!
My Kimber 22lr SuperAmerican is with me all the time - it stays.
The Beesley makes the cut too - it has taken a mallard or two over decoys with no problems.
I don't know about the rest - I don't want to turn-up an old man with a collection.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 12:36 AM
Buy low, sell high? Or, keep what shoots best in your grubby little mitts?
Hey, I'm exactly where you are. My problem is, the Mossberg with the equipment black lacquer stock finish, covered with chip guard paint, Mexican replacement fixed choke barrel, Wolf Creek safety, black nylon web sling, and swivels (don't laugh, I've got almost 60 bucks in this gun) is, sadly, my money gun-the damn thing refuses to miss the things I point it in the general direction of and shoot at. Given to me my a felon neighbor, who knew better than to have it in his home, I figured I might need it as a pickup truck/duck boat bottom/barn gun. After the last 100 straight, in the rain, I almost wish I'd never seen it.
The old "never bet against the man with but one gun" myth is a 'bitchen reality, if you ask me. Too bad I didn't figure it out thirty seasons or so ago.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: dbadcraig Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 12:49 AM
Chuck-

In a major way I have done that. I think it is a good thing. Short of the largely philosophical instant before we destroy something in our possession, we own nothing. We can own nothing we cannot take with us when we die, meaning we can own no thing.

Look at one of your older firearms and ask how many others called that gun "theirs". We are simply custodians of these things. If you have a very nice firearm, but you do not use or enjoy it any longer, why keep it and deny another of the joys of ownership? Why not sell it and purchase a firearm you really want and will enjoy?

Most recently, had I not sold my Sig 225 6 months ago(which I did not shoot very well and did not particularly enjoy) I would not now have my Fox Sterlingworth (an impulse purchase from my friend's table at a gun show). If I had not purchased that Fox, I would not have gotten the bug and purchased three more shotguns and over a thousand rounds of shotgun shells and spent countless hours enjoying and shooting these guns with friends and making new friends. Life is short, enjoy it.

Doug
Posted By: JM Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 12:51 AM
A good friend of mine who is in his early 70's was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's. Some of you have probably met him at the Vintage Cup and the Southern Shoot. He told me the other week he has about 60 shotguns. His guns range from more than one Purdey and Holland & Holland to a plain and simple boxlock.

He has no intentions on stopping.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 01:08 AM
Over the last year of so, have cleaned out some Ithaca and Parker SBTs, 12 and 16 (oops ) Model 12s, 12 and 20 Trojans and a 12g GH, and a 12 and 16 Sterly. Now left with 3 LCs, 2 16s and a 12. The 'youngest' is 96 and the other two are 101. They have the same dimensions (but 2 30" and 1 28" brl) and two triggers, and all three are 'shooters'; and are all the bird and clays guns I really need. I have a little left over if that 'special' LC turns up, but couldn't be happier (once they all get back from Dan Lammers for glasbedding and minor 'tune ups'.)
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 01:34 AM
I have been thinking about slimming down my accumulation. Problem is that I like shooters and would miss having them. Once before I had a gun collection that I remixed the ratio of low to high condition or higher grade. Ended up with several dozen where I started out with several times that amount. Ended up selling them all but one and started buying 3200s, high grade 1100s, a few clay busters, doubles and few muzzle loaders .

Last month I did an inventory of my doubles. More than I weigh. Figure that it would not be too hard to part with about a third of them without too many tears if I can replace them with higher condition or higher grade guns. Either that or just wait three more years and sell about a half of them to put one of my kid to college. That would give our college fund a few more years to grow for the last two kids. Hard to have fun when you have to be the adult sometimes.

If Mr. Ken's "new Lefever" comes around I might just sell more and not look back.
Posted By: JM Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 01:51 AM
I buy for keeps, or at least as long as the Lord permits. I don't buy guns I don't intend on keeping. The only reason I would part with any of my side by sides is because I could not shoot it well enough and could not bear to restock it if it were a vintage gun in original condition.

Of course, that means I'll never accumulate a great number of guns too!
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 01:58 AM
I don't think one can have too many guns especially if each has a story, special feel, special beauty, etc. I always have sellers remorse when I do part with a family member.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 02:01 AM
I do not think it would be any fun to have only two or three side by sides! And besides i might become a better shot and never miss! Bobby
Posted By: Chicago Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 02:09 AM
My collection is small by some of the standards I see above. Both of my sons hunt, and my guess is the grand kids will too. So I will hand them down.

Although I own a dozend or so weapons, I really only use two shotguns, a 16 bore for grouse/woodcock and a 12 bore for pheasant. I am a firm believer in getting to know one or two guns well. The balance my sons use, and more than a couple gather dust. The dust collectors will go if my sons are not interested in them.

However, I also adhere to the philosophy of a grouse hunting buddy "I don't know how many guns I own but I know I need one more".

Enjoy, and Chuck how did the surgery turn out for your pup?
Posted By: rabbit Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 02:24 AM
I know my half of the tax refund is gone on a Savage 23B, a Philly SW 16 and a Flues SBT. I'm not in debt, I just don't have any money. I guess I culled my--uh--cull-ection. No cut barrels, no basket cases, no Parker or Fox derelicts, no curiously soft Torreador guns, no projects, only two barrel sets with internal pitting, fewer modern Brownings, more Supers, fewer roller-stamped field grades, more with genuwine scratchin, everything functioning well enuf to pass the 4 squads of skeet test. Also noticed the Noah's Ark phenom--two of some makers, usually different grade or model. That is the way you do it right? Let me know if I should be doing it some other way.

jack
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 03:18 AM
Within the last few years or so I sold a Ruger red label, 20 gauge at a whooping 7 1/2 lbs, a model 12 that kept jamming from my reloads, a Flues 20 gauge, another 20 that was way to heavy for the gauge, a Remington 1100, well it was an autoloader, a 12 gauge LC Smith (FW) that I wish I could get that one back, a 16 Gauge Ithaca NID, that was again way to heavy for the gauge, a Ruger Gold Label to pay to have my Arrieta re-stocked............Ahhhhhhhh my Arrieta!!!!!
All the best
Posted By: Chuck H Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 03:51 AM
Bobby,
NOBODY said anything about getting down to 2 or 3 sxs's.

Chicago,
Jas went to the finest Vetinary doctors and surgeons and I spent more'n most of my horses each cost me, but I feel good about the decision and she's doing much better. Ask me if I'd spend that much fixing a horse and I'd have to really give it a lot of thought. Jas is my buddie and she'll get the best I can afford even if I had to give up a double or two, but I doubt it'll come to that as she's healthy now. It was a thing they generically are calling "elbow dysplasia" which is a really broad non-discript term. It turned out to be a coronoid sumptin or another, which is a loose bone/cartiledge piece on the outside of the elbow joint, that should have fused. The loose piece irritates the joint causing pain after activity, not limiting performance at this stage but apparently could lead to early arthritis if not treated. She's looking really good performance wise and improving daily. She's gonna start physical conditioning and training again soon.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 10:20 AM
I'm down to one in shotgun dept. It's a work of art and a bird gun rolled into one, so I'm keeping it.
Johnny has 60 pieces, or so in his collection, I can't even imagine owning that many. I do have many valuable stamps and 50+ bottles of wine in my cellar though.
Posted By: Ortolan Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 01:11 PM
Bargain basket-case guns and faraway-from-cool project guns have kept many a man from scoring his true prize when the moment of truth confronts. The loftiest vows of "never" turn into pollen when the cherry gun surfaces at less than market and the jungle telegraph has not yet started. When I open the safe to go afield I hear, "Take me! Take me!" Dogs, friends, and birds are never disappointed. Cycle them back at will into the marketplace and keep the needy and wanty in play. KBM
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 07:57 PM
I almost replaced my 201e with Teddy Williams S.Roebuck 400 20br. Four hundred bucks is what it takes to buy a real good shotgun. I wanted to pocket 2K in the process, but have too many 12br 2.5" Pb and 2&3/4" non-tox loads on hand, so I didn't go that route.
PS. Thank God I didn't buy that Henry Atkin SLE, because I would have been down by 16K (the thing was in very good original condition).
Twenty two hundred $ dust collector is bad enough, there is no need to get 16k mop!
Posted By: Bill G. Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 08:35 PM
Chuck,

I have been luckey and the 8 or 9 that I have are staying. I know enough now that I don't but any chaff but I don't think I am done buying. It is just to much fun.

Glad to hear your dog is doing well after some surgery. When my first springer was 4 yrs. old I spent over 6K keeping her alive. I questioned myself several times during the 6 months she was sick. I have spent several K more since taking care of her. For it I got to hunt over one of the best springers I have ever seen for many more years. She just turned 13 on April 24. That for me makes it well worth the price. I hunted her this year just for an hour or so and you can still see the desire and heart she has even if the legs and muscle are not the same. I am sure you will feel the same 10 or 12 years from now.

Bill G.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 10:07 PM
I'm plagued with heavy barrel rifles,heavy rifles and long barrel shotguns.....I'd swap em all for one outrageous semi-gaudy trap gun. No regrets.
Posted By: rabbit Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 10:15 PM
Posted by PaulJ:

Quote:
Twenty two hundred $ dust collector is bad enough, there is no need to get 16k mop!

... and if wishes were horses? I guess we won't go there.

jack
Posted By: LeFusil Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/16/07 10:47 PM
At one time, not too long ago...I owned 13 different side by sides at the same time. All of them pretty decent guns, all of them I enjoyed shooting. Problem was finding time to shoot them all and actually enjoy them. I sold all of my doubles and started from scratch. None of these 13 shotguns had any real sentimental value, none were handed down to me, all of them were bought by me for me. When I decided to start buying doubles again, I kinda set somewhat of a simple critera for my next couple purchases. The shotguns I was going to buy were going to be used for both game and clays(very little clays..I'm primarily a bird hunter), have somewhat of a specific use/purpose in the uplands and have a certain amout of "cool" appeal. I now own four shotguns. I doubt I will ever sell any of these four. I enjoy hunting and shootig this quad very much. Two British guns and 2 French guns. They pretty much cover all of my shotgunning needs. I have a couple other shotguns too, but I dont throw them into the same category as the doubles, a 16 gauge Remington Model 11 crica 1934 and a modern Winchester Super X-2 that gets abused in the basins and Platte river here in Nebraska. These guns are all I'll ever really need. If I get a hankering for something, a craving if you will, I just open books or browse thru websites and LOOK. Every once in awhile I make it out to Reb87's place and check out his impressive collection of EVERYTHING. Anymore, I just like to LOOK :-)

Dustin
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/17/07 12:10 AM
I have 'too many' shotguns, 'too many' rifles and way 'too much' stuff to go with them.

For now they'll stay where they are as I enjoy them more than the fast disapearing cash they would be replaced with.

For the first time ever I did set up at the last local gunshow and moved a Mini-14 a Mauser 95/96 a Sheridan .22 air rifle a Moison Nagant a couple of Thompson barrels along with a bunch of other junk.

It had to be done to make room for the AR-15 the two more AR's I am building and the ammo to shoot in them.........
Posted By: bay Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/17/07 12:13 AM
Chuck,

I find this a very interesting question you bring up. I enjoy reading everyone’s take on where they stand.

Early in my un-educated collecting days it was keep anything and everything I acquired. Now it’s a little different. Last couple of years I have been liquidating some duplicates, some emotional buys, and of course the bad buys. It’s been a very enjoyable and learning hobby. I am still educating myself with venues like this BBS.

My interest has changed a bit over the years, but I am still all over the board as to what sparks my interest. Doubles and Magazine rifles seem to be taking up most of my time & dollars.

I have thought about when I get up in age, when to look seriously about liquidating to a manageable "collection"/"hunting arsenal".

-brian
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/17/07 12:44 AM
Don't get me wrong, finest piece it was. Second to none. The stock shaping/finish, barrel "blueprinting" and fit leaves Merkel in the dust. Instead of puting my $ into another dust collector I invested spare 20K into diversified portfolio, and am much ahead of the game now. What would I have today if I bought that gun? A 16k shotgun, and next year would be much the same.
Good 'ole Hank is a good choice for top gun with < top price tag. Hank along with Beesley, and Boss were the best CRAFTSMEN at PurdeyHOF. Why one can almost "hear" Col. Hawker talking to Joe Manton when you shoulder that thing. I mean, can you hear the ghost whispers?
Good 'ole Atkin, I recommend one w/o reservations.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/17/07 04:36 PM
I'm just now making arrangements for a couple guns to be restocked and one a complete resto. These will be keepers for me. I have only a couple decent condition vintage guns and want to either get the "project guns" done or move them. I'm thinking of concentrating on getting them done over the next few years and enjoying them while I'm young (51 this month) enough to hunt them.
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/19/07 01:10 AM
I'm in a somewhat different boat. I have a long life ahead of me in gun collecting. I have some guns, not as many as I would like, but a small collection that I can be proud of. A guns go from time to time to help pay for college, but thats fine. I still manage to get a double from time to time, but its hard to justify it while my parents are spending 40K a year to put me through college.
Posted By: Chicago Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/19/07 03:08 AM
Chuck H.
Glad to hear Jas is doing well and recovering nicely. Happy hunting with her.

Chicago, Mike
Posted By: chux Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/19/07 03:15 AM
I at one time had 13 shotguns, But one day I was talking to a local gun shop owner and he took me upstairs to show me his "collection" unbelievable guns sxs, old winchesters, german lugers, etc (no not for sale) he stated on any given day some young guy will come in with his deceased dads gun collection and pawn them for next to nothing, that was enough for me, I buy guns I will shoot, and use, I will let some other collectors guns one day end up at the pawn shop.
Posted By: grousewoods Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/19/07 04:03 AM
Chuck
I for one am glad you are still buying guns! does this mean 17 and counting? If you didn't get your e-mail it's on the way on Sat.
Posted By: drduc Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/19/07 04:49 AM
Chux is right about the kids selling Dad's pride and joy. I bought a Ruger #1 last week that way.
A good friend had a collection M1 carbines that would rival any museum. His kid took them to a show and sold them for $.25 on the dollar thinking he knew what all the variation were worth. Either educate your kids or be like my folks were:"We gave you what you needed when we were alive. Don't look for anything after we die".
I'm thinning the herd right now. Nobody needs 12 30.06's and 14 12 ga shotguns-and that's just a start.
Posted By: Jason H Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/19/07 06:21 PM
Over the last several months I too have thinned my collection. I sold off all my Winchesters and my Fox doubles. Only have L.C. Smiths now ! Am slowly building up the collection I truly want and admire and enjoy. Still looking for that "just right" shooter though. I will find it. Taking the advice of some other very knowledgeable people, I try to only buy high condition pieces anymore. Sure slows down the acuisition part of builing a collection, at least for me as such pieces demand a much greater dollar amount. Going through these phases in collecting is part of the great fun we all enjoy. You never know when your interests will change.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/19/07 09:25 PM
I figure a bird hunter needs a different side by side small bore for each day of the month! Bobby
Posted By: King Brown Re: 16 guns and whadda U get? ... - 05/19/07 10:32 PM
I'm thinking of thinning, too. I wanted representative American hardware guns and then bought some overseas guns because they were in good shape with good names---with reasonable prices. I'll keep the guns I shoot well with. For my kind of shooting, mostly over decoys, they'll be mostly smaller bores.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com