doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: JDH Make America Great Again ! - 11/09/16 09:03 PM
Bring back Syracuse Lefevers....But only in Sixteen.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/09/16 09:05 PM
Now there's a platform I can get behind!...Geo
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/09/16 09:05 PM
YES!
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/09/16 09:24 PM
Is that the one with "ball-bearing knuckle"? If that is so it is among most interesting American designs. Sign me up for one.
Posted By: james-l Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/09/16 10:18 PM
If my memory is correct, this was proposed a few years ago. Turned out that it was was not practical.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/09/16 10:22 PM
Lotta things that aren't practical, that I would like to see..
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/10/16 12:14 PM
I am fortunate enough to have one original 16ga Lefever. At 6 3/4 lbs it is not a real lightweight one, but is never the less one sweet handling gun.
Yes it is the one with the ball & socket Hinge Joint.
I doubt seriously If an attempt was made to bring it back that it would be in a 16.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/10/16 12:55 PM
If memory hasn't faded too much, some years back, there was a lot of chatter over on the Lefever site about building some new ones...Didn't get to far...too expensive..
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/10/16 01:09 PM
You can't go home again.

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/10/16 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: james-l
If my memory is correct, this was proposed a few years ago. Turned out that it was was not practical.

I think it was just for replacement barrels for the Syracuse Lefevers wasn't it? That project didn't pan out.
Posted By: keith Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/10/16 02:49 PM
Back around 2007, Ken Hurst was exploring the idea of producing a new CNC machined copy of the Syracuse Lefever with barrels produced by Antonio Zoli. If any prototype was ever made, I didn't hear of it or get to see it. I don't think it ever got past the design and discussion phase. He was soliciting ideas and trying to gauge interest to get a feel for the economic feasibility of the project.

Anyone interested in those discussions could do a quick search of Ken Hurst's posts in early 2007 and quickly find the related threads in the archives.

The idea was to produce a gun in the white that could be engraved and finished to whatever level the purchaser desired. Being made of modern steels, the gun would have appealed to those who desired to shoot modern ammunition, and even 3" magnum loads. Of course, a lot of folks said they wanted one, but in reality, the market would end up being pretty small for what would end up being a very expensive custom gun that was after all, only a copy of the real deal. There was a vocal segment who desired to see it in the small gauges such as 16 and 20, and even in a 28 gauge which was never made in the original Syracuse Lefever.

Jagermeister, Ken Hurst did not ever discuss producing these guns for rental purposes, so you would be left out in the cold as you are now, not owning even one double shotgun. But now that Trump has been elected, maybe the economy will improve, and you will finally be able to buy (not rent) one and become something besides a tire-kicker that drools on the counter at LGS.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/10/16 03:39 PM
My meager collection, lucky for me, includes two lower grade 16s, both E Grade. One is reputed to be the first top lever hammerless gun, the second a rare push lever 16. My collection stops at E Grade in all gauges. Some day I may try my hand at locating a high grade.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/11/16 01:19 AM
Gee after reading the headline I thought this thread was announcing a permanent ban on king brown.......
Posted By: steve white Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/11/16 04:57 AM
I thought it was going to be an election post...btw, the feds saved about twenty grand as soon as trump was elected--didn't have to repaint airforce one as "broomstick one"
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/11/16 01:07 PM
Originally Posted By: keith
Back around 2007, Ken Hurst was exploring the idea of producing a new CNC machined copy of the Syracuse Lefever with barrels produced by Antonio Zoli. If any prototype was ever made, I didn't hear of it or get to see it. I don't think it ever got past the design and discussion phase. He was soliciting ideas and trying to gauge interest to get a feel for the economic feasibility of the project.

Anyone interested in those discussions could do a quick search of Ken Hurst's posts in early 2007 and quickly find the related threads in the archives.

The idea was to produce a gun in the white that could be engraved and finished to whatever level the purchaser desired. Being made of modern steels, the gun would have appealed to those who desired to shoot modern ammunition, and even 3" magnum loads. Of course, a lot of folks said they wanted one, but in reality, the market would end up being pretty small for what would end up being a very expensive custom gun that was after all, only a copy of the real deal. There was a vocal segment who desired to see it in the small gauges such as 16 and 20, and even in a 28 gauge which was never made in the original Syracuse Lefever.

Jagermeister, Ken Hurst did not ever discuss producing these guns for rental purposes, so you would be left out in the cold as you are now, not owning even one double shotgun. But now that Trump has been elected, maybe the economy will improve, and you will finally be able to buy (not rent) one and become something besides a tire-kicker that drools on the counter at LGS.

I understand there is market for certain luxury good and none for others. For example Patek Phillipe, Rolex, Jaeger Lcoultare, Vacheron Constantin, Piaget.....are doing very, very well. When it comes to guns the wealthy will go to London UK or Gardone VT for them. They aren't going to pay many thousands for old US design made today. My salary went up almost 20% each year for last few years, but I will take more if I can. Thank you.
Posted By: keith Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/11/16 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
My salary went up almost 20% each year for last few years, but I will take more if I can. Thank you.

Really? Is the Pizza Delivery business that lucrative?

Seriously Jagermeister, do you really expect anyone to believe more of your Bullshit?

Didn't you recently show us pictures of a couple relatively inexpensive semi-auto handguns, asking our advice on which to buy? With 20% per annum raises, I'd buy both without batting an eye. Then there was that sad tragic story you told of first, needing to pay for a 20 gauge Ithaca N.I.D. on a layaway plan, and then having to let it go so that you could afford something else. And that would also be why you still don't own even one double... yet continue to Troll your crap here on a double gun website.

You told us that you own just one shotgun, a short barreled Ithaca model 37 pump with choke tubes and a 3" chamber. Then in the last couple weeks, you tried to tell us you also own a short barreled Ithaca military pump. Do you think you can just make shit up, and no one will recall the previous B.S. you tried to feed us during your internet delusions and fantasies?

What are you going to say next? Are you going to try to tell us that you produce an award winning wine or are close friends with John F. Kennedy? People who get 20% annual raises over several years do not continue to RENT cheap Chinese .22 rimfire rifles as you do. Not unless they started out at minimum wage and went up a buck-and-a-half a year. They go out and buy something decent. Nice try, but it appears that the only thing that has increased by 20% per annum over the last few years is your imagination and your bullshit.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/12/16 12:52 PM
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with a good E grade Lefever in 16ga, mine is an H & I'm still right proud of it. Although 16's are better represented in the higher grades than is the 20 it seems the vast majority of the higher grade guns were in 12 & 10. It's usually rather hard to find a 20 other than the DS
& most 16's seem to be in the F to H range. Be proud, not apologetic for having 2 E grade 16's. To get better than an E one generally needs to go to at least a C, the D in some cases is not as nice looking as the E in my opinion.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Make America Great Again ! - 11/12/16 01:10 PM
Seems I recall that Steve Lamboy had plans to make Lefevers again, if his Ithaca Classic Doubles project had succeeded.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com