doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bobski show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/26/15 01:51 AM
its has to be old.
nothing current!
must be a classic!
dont have one?
post up your dream gun!
Baker Superba Single Barrel Trap, made 1909-1919. Engraved by Rudolph Kornbrath.

Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/26/15 04:32 PM
thank you. nice!
Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/26/15 04:34 PM
whats a gun like that worth these days?
Hard to say. It's unique.
Posted By: Kyrie Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/26/15 05:34 PM
Stoeger (Victor Sarasqueta) Zephyr Vandalia Sidelock (Proof Year: 1966)

http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Kyrie_Ellison/slideshow/A_Temp/Zephyr%20Vandalia%20Trap?sort=9

Jose Bolumburu Trap Sidelock (Proof Year: 1961)

http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Kyrie_E...Sidelock?sort=9
Posted By: Condor Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/26/15 08:44 PM
1929 . One only 59 made. Purdey

Posted By: Researcher Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/26/15 11:42 PM
Royal Gun Co., West Virginia --

Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 02:52 AM
my mother was born in 1929.
Posted By: Bob Jurewicz Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 01:48 PM
ITHACA 4E McGraw Engraved NEW

Posted By: DrBob Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 04:17 PM
As far as I am aware the first gun marketed as a Single Barrel Trap Gun was made by DM Lefever in Bowling Green Ohio in 1904-1906.

Posted By: Kutter Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 05:14 PM
At first glance, the DM Lefever and the Royal Gun Co singles share a lot of similaritys on the outside from what I can see in the pic.

Nice single bbls all around.

I have a single bbl hammerless Meriden 32" but w/o the rib on the bbl. So I guess it's not the Trap Gun, but they did adv one as such . It has a similar bottom plate type action as some of these do. Completely different from their hammer singles.
An early trap gun by Stannard and Moran. Photo is of Mr. Matthew E. Moran .

Posted By: DrBob Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 08:13 PM
From what I understand the Lefever Single Barrel Trap was primarily designed by Uncle Dan Lefever's son Frank. Frank took that design with him to the Three Barrel Gun Co. in 1905-10 and then to the Royal Gun Co. in 1910 or so.
Posted By: Berrien Moore Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 08:18 PM
After 24 hours in the Dallas airport trying to get back to OKC (yes we could have walked by now), this (and others) is a refreshing thread--especially Daryl's photos.

Best wishes to all for the Coming New Year.

Berrien
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 08:33 PM
Interesting, and fun thread
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/first-sbt.208518/

And the earliest SBT (no rib category) might be smile Crescent "New Trap" Hammerless Single in the 1898 Sears Catalog

Posted By: Berrien Moore Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 09:56 PM
Daryl--

Why does the tag say "Not safe to shoot"????

Cheers

Berrien
Berrien, it has a repair at the hinge pin.
Posted By: PERLY88 Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 10:10 PM
Bob: Beautiful condition on the 4E Knick. Very hard to find in that condition.

What is the year on that one?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 10:13 PM
Daryl: I just saw the "Owned by Mr. Dickey who shot...(and?) won the worlds trap contest at the first Chicago World's Fair" (1903)

If that is O.R. Dickey he won the 1896 GAH
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1896/VOL_27_NO_02/SL2702020.pdf
O. R. Dickey, of Boston. Mass. used a very handsome Parker Bros, hammerless gun, of the pigeon model, and his load consisted of 50 grains, or about 3 1/2 drams by measure, of American “E. C.” powder, 1 trap wad, one 3/8 inch pink felt, one 1/4-inch pink edge, and 1 1/8 ounce of No. 7 chilled shot in the United States Cartridge Co.'s “Rapid” shells, 2 3/4 inches in length.

George Roll must have used the Stannard & Moran SBT at the 1908 GAH
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1908/VOL_51_NO_17/SL5117024.pdf
Amateur Championship- George Roll, 183x200 then 19x20 shoot-off. Four men broke 183 in the amateur championship. Roll, of Illinois won the shoot-off over D. Upson, of Ohio; Charles Ditto, of Illinois; and H. Buckwalter, of Pennsylvania.

Posted By: Berrien Moore Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 10:26 PM
Daryl--It is extraordinary. What is its history?

best

Berrien
Drew and Berrien, here is the tag, both sides.

Posted By: Researcher Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 10:33 PM
Late Savage-era Fox J-Grade --

Posted By: John E Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 10:43 PM
Although not a high grade gun, W.H. Davenport(H&A) built some hammerless ejector guns that fit this catagory.

John
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 10:45 PM
C. W. Dimick of United States Cartridge Co. and other manufacturers' reps (including Winchester and UMC) founded the American Shooting Association Feb. 11 1889. S.A. “Tuck” Tucker, Parker's sales agent and Capt. A. W. duBray (then a sergeant in the U. S. army) were consulting board members of the newly formed ASA, and “Tuck” wrote the handicap rules. Dimick was President and L.C. Smith was a Director.
The ASA dissolved in 1892 and the Interstate Manufacturers and Dealers Assn., “Interstate Assn.” took over organized trap shooting.

More on Dickey
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1898/VOL_30_NO_26/SL3026023.pdf
I believe Dickey was later a USCC Professional Rep.
Posted By: Researcher Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 10:47 PM
J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. offered some single barrel trap guns before The Great War --

In the early 1920s, J. Stevens Arms Co. offered the "Trap Shooter's Fancy" --

I've never seen either of these Stevens offerings in person.
Those Stevens guns are scarce. I have a Model 181 , as I recall. Top of barrel is serrated like many ribs.

Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/27/15 11:51 PM
when one thinks how long the game of trap as been around, one would guess there should be a bunch out there. good to see some of the old ones!
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/29/15 06:01 PM
Parker SC grade, 1925...

Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/29/15 09:34 PM
my grandmother was 21 years old when that gun was made.
The Dickerman trap gun of 1886 was a single barrel designed for trap. Patented by Amos Dickerman, Aug. 4, 1885.

https://www.google.com/patents/US323501?...apGAakQ6AEIKjAC

An ad for the gun in 1886 , manufactured by Strong Fire Arms Co.---------

https://books.google.com/books?id=nZnNAA...gun&f=false

More here----------Much later in the 1900s, But H E Dickerman [a relative of Amos Dickerman ??] and Strong still may have a connection----------

https://books.google.com/books?id=nO0cAQ...gun&f=false
Posted By: doubletrouble Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/30/15 08:37 PM
Fox M grade but I do not know how to load pictures. I have them loaded in a file but can't see how to down load them.
Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/30/15 08:39 PM
welcome to the all left thumbs loading club.
added for doubletrouble
Fox M Grade

Posted By: John E Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 12/31/15 06:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
The Dickerman trap gun of 1886...

An ad for the gun in 1886 , manufactured by Strong Fire Arms Co.---------

https://books.google.com/books?id=nZnNAA...gun&f=false

Daryl, I see from the ad, that rifle barrels of all calibers would be furnished if desired. It must have been a very "Strong" action and design.

John
John, over the years I have seen a couple of Dickerman sets with rifle and shotgun barrels. I don't remember the rifle caliber. The guns seemed well finished, but the design seemed rather homely. Top lever cocking guns.
Posted By: Joe S Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 01/16/16 02:21 PM
I have a Meriden Trap gun....

and yes the trap gun has a raised rib...

Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 01/17/16 07:02 PM
interesting how early serious trap guns were english straight grip. wonder when that switched to pg?
bobski, I think your characterization of early serious trap guns having English stocks is wrong. There were some of each. I'm looking at about a dozen on the wall and they are evenly split between stock types.
Posted By: eightbore Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 01/17/16 10:22 PM
Researcher, that isn't Fox #400,568 is it? I know you keep a file of interesting guns.
Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 01/17/16 10:38 PM
one would think that an advertiser would put the most popular item in the ad. and most i see are... straight?
i wonder which would have been the (optional) order? pg or english?
now remember, im talking these early guns....pre ww1.
Yes, all trap guns I referred to are Pre WWI. We once got about 8 or 9 Baker Single Trap guns together and took an overall picture. No two had the stocks of the same design. Of course, trap shooters in general need it "their" way.
Ithaca Lefever Model 3. M-3s are not common and ones with a beaver tail fore end even less so.
Consider this the left book end of the Ithaca trap offerings.

And consider the bottom gun as the right book end
An example from across the pond by Draper of Bolton,Lancashire.
circa 1880-85, 33" barrel,Likely saw action for pigeons at the area shooting clubs, and possibly starlings and sparrows in the back yards behind country pubs. Raises a few eyebrows at the trap range.

Wow. That is a beauty, Terry. I assume that is a restoration, and a fine one at that.

How is it proofed, and choked?

SRH
Posted By: SKB Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 01/18/16 01:43 PM
Great gun Terry, a real classic.
Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 01/18/16 03:11 PM
wow indeed.
Fox J Grade. 1919 vintage.

Hi Stan, The gun is as I got it out of England and does look like it has had a sympathetic restoration.It has been nitro re-proofed with 2 3/4" chambers and the barrel is choked imp mod.Thanks for the kind words.
Posted By: doublenut Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 01/24/16 02:00 AM
Since there was a discussion about the Lefever Trap Guns and the Three Barrel Gun Co./Royal Gun Co. Trap Guns I thought I'd post a few pics of the two guns side by side.

The Three Barrel Gun Co. Trap Gun is an A Grade (Serial #214)and was featured in Frank Conley's book, The American Single Barrel Trap Gun, on pages 201 - 204.
Posted By: doublenut Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 01/24/16 02:07 AM
Here is another example of a Three Barrel Gun Co. Trap Gun, This is a B Grade. Incidently this gun is consecutively serial numbered (Serial #213) to the Three Barrel Trap Gun in the previous pics.

Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 01/24/16 04:03 AM
Originally Posted By: doublenut
Since there was a discussion about the Lefever Trap Guns and the Three Barrel Gun Co./Royal Gun Co. Trap Guns I thought I'd post a few pics of the two guns side by side.

Awesome guns; love 'em! Thanks for sharing.

The Three Barrel Gun Co. Trap Gun is an A Grade (Serial #214)and was featured in Frank Conley's book, The American Single Barrel Trap Gun, on pages 201 - 204.

Awesome guns; love 'em! Thanks for sharing. I'm not a serious trap shooter and only shoot for fun. Nothing is more fun than showing up at the range with a vintage gun; I'd be proud to uncase one of those the next time I go to the club! Of course, on the rare occasion that I distinguish myself, so much the better!
Posted By: PERLY88 Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 01/25/16 12:49 PM
Mike: That looks like an outstanding "J" grade gun!

Is the wood original?

Also, Would you mind checking the trigger pull and let us know the weight of the trigger?

Yes the wood is original. I have no gauge to measure the trigger pull but it's not heavy and not a hair trigger. Just right to me.
Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 09/21/16 12:54 AM
seeing that baker of perlys stirred my interest in them again. seems to be such a nice gun with such a weak lock up. what were they thinking?
Posted By: bobski Re: show us your single bbl trap guns! - 09/21/16 08:37 PM
how did bakers handle?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com