doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Joe Wood OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/05/15 06:14 PM
Just heard this morning on CNBC that Bass Pro Shop is preparing an offer to buy Cabelas. Nooooooo! If it happens there goes the little competition that is left in the industry.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/05/15 06:36 PM
I hope they will not sell! Bobby
Posted By: SKB Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/05/15 06:39 PM
If the sale goes through I worry about the guys working in the gunrooms. Bass-Pro just closed all of the ones they had.
Posted By: Replacement Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/05/15 07:30 PM
I have not ordered anything from Bass Pro in 15 years, but I order from Cabela's on a regular basis. I doubt that I will be buying from them if Bass Pro acquires Cabela's. I suspect I'm not alone.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/05/15 07:52 PM
Cabela's stock fell significantly in Oct. after the Sept. 3rd quarter report, and 4% of corporate employees were released, but is up more than 8% today with the Bass Pro news.
http://quotes.wsj.com/CAB

I can't find a report regarding which Cabela's stores are most profitable, but believe Kansas City, KS and Glendale, AZ have done well.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/05/15 09:03 PM
Yikes! I'd rather take a beating than enter a Bass Pro Shop.
Fortunately we have a couple of Academy Stores in town.
Posted By: David Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/05/15 09:09 PM
It's an interesting time for Cabelas. Just days ago an activist investor announced they had an 11% stake in Cabelas and wanted some changes to boost the stock price. The Cabela family still owns a 24% stake in the company so they may be able to get other share holders to vote with them, but who knows. I hope they weather this.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/05/15 09:52 PM
For quite a while and still might be, the most profitable store was the Hamburg, PA. store. It is over 250,000 sq. ft.
It is 4 miles from me.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 01:14 AM
Seems Cabela's stock is trading right around $40.00 dollars per share isn't that in line or above average with the rest of the retail industry?

I always thought opening up so many of those huge brick and mortar stores was a mistake.
Posted By: Virginian Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 01:16 AM
I still remember the ORIGINAL Herter's. sniff, sniff.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 01:41 AM
I'm trying to accumulate a collection of George's literary efforts. If you have any you want to get rid of, please let me know
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 02:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Just heard this morning on CNBC that Bass Pro Shop is preparing an offer to buy Cabelas. Nooooooo! If it happens there goes the little competition that is left in the industry.

There is Bass Pro about 15 miles from me and no Cabela's for hundreds of miles. I would not mind the change as all as long as Bass Pro does not do to Cabela's what Dick's did to Gaylons. Frankly I don't mind Bass Pro at all.
Posted By: cgr50 Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 03:26 AM
I wish that Cabela's would go back to selling more name brand items.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 12:22 PM
I have to go back out front and look at the sign to tell whether I'm in a cabelas or a Basspro.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 01:05 PM
Bass Pro is a huge Sponsor to DU- look at the museum in Memphis, all donated by Bass Pro- I believe the rumor- Bass Pro closed their gun "Bookrooms" to get ready for the Cabela's Gun Library take-over--The business of big business is even bigger business- with due apologies to the late Calvin Coolidge--
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 01:32 PM
If it goes through I will bet they will close most of the gun rooms. They can make more money with the floor space by selling socks, shorts, etc which are triple keystone and more.

John Boyd
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 03:08 PM
This has been in the works for awhile. Where I live there has been a Bass Pro shop for years and they were going to build a new store on the other side of town. Cabelas came to town just a half mile up the road and the project was put on hold. If they merge I am certain that they will merge down into only one location which Cabelas just built.

As the to closing gun rooms they most likely will. Cabelas just does not move that many gun room type guns for a good return on the floor space. Educated staff is hard to find and the Blue Book is not a good pricing guide unless you adjust to the real market. I've seen 500 dollar guns listed at 1200+ and stay unsold for two to three years. You can not make any profit by not selling guns because you over price them. Know you market or die as a business.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 03:55 PM
A few years ago the gun library in Hamburg, PA. used to have their guns priced reasonable. Now they are out of site and I blame that on the people that appraise them.
Of course their prices are as bad as Guns International and they do sell on there also. Many famous dealers have had guns on there for years.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 03:59 PM
I paid Cabelas $1,600 for a sight unseen Dickinson I can't pull the triggers on and now they cancel my cheap shotgun shell deal after they charged my credit card. I'll never place another catalog order with Cabelas. No store in town so I guess I'm done with them altogether!...Geo
Posted By: bbman3 Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/06/15 08:45 PM
Thy had plans to build a Basspro in Augusta Ga but cancelled it when a small Cabellas came in. Bobby
Posted By: FelixD Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/07/15 01:29 AM
What has either Cabelas or BPS done for the American shooter in the past 20 years that warrants such concern? Is it their high prices or their low quality merchandise?
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/07/15 05:06 PM
I have both thin 20 miles of Tacoma, and I've yet to buy anything at BPS. Been there several times. Overpriced and no gun library or used guns. Great taxidermy displays, but otherwise, meh.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/07/15 10:37 PM
We have a Gander Mountain in town with an Academy Sports across the street. I shop at Gander then cross the street to Academy to buy. I always favored local sporting goods and gun stores but they're being crushed by the big box businesses...Geo
Posted By: craigd Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/08/15 12:05 AM
Yup, I watch TV to find out who the good lawyers are, then I visit here for free legal advice....just kidding around Geo.

There was a time back a bit when the BPS in Springfield was about the half way point of a long drive we had to make. All the displays made it a good distraction to break up the trip and get a bite to eat. I can't recall buying anything outdoors related, but I remember my wife buying regular clothes because she was bored.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/08/15 01:41 AM
My take, after years of shopping, is this ............ Cabela's is the place for hunting clothing. Name brands, great selection. Bass pro is the place for fishing tackle and supplies ............ unreal selections, especially saltwater. Gander Mtn. is kinda between the two, not really specializing in anything much, but having a lot of stuff that might appeal to the occasional outdoorsman. JMO.

I do waaaaay more business at Academy than at the other three combined. Nearly all my shotshells come from Academy.

SRH
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/08/15 06:23 PM
Except for the rare ammo deal I've done little biz with either of those two. I seem to be able to find the other needs online at Midway, or Graf's or a couple others at prices that don't get beat even with shipping.

The big stores can be fun with an occasional good buy and the giant fish tanks but past that ............... I can't say I'd miss them if they were gone

have another day
Dr.WtS
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/08/15 06:27 PM
Originally Posted By: tudurgs
I'm trying to accumulate a collection of George's literary efforts. If you have any you want to get rid of, please let me know

I had one of his cookbooks that was surprisingly cool. I passed it on already to a potnpan enthusiast that is on this forum.

have another day
Dr.WtS
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/08/15 06:44 PM
Originally Posted By: craigd
Yup, I watch TV to find out who the good lawyers are, then I visit here for free legal advice....just kidding around Geo.

I know you were kidding Craig, but I try to make it an inflexible rule to never give legal advice to anyone on any specific situation on an internet chat room. I do sometimes try to correct an incorrect understanding on a general legal question or concept when I see a thread going in the wrong direction. Probably not much appreciated...Geo
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/08/15 07:57 PM
"Probably not much appreciated...Geo"

Well - - - DUH!! How many here are actually interested in an authoritative and informed comment? Get real, George.

have another day

Dr.WtS
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT--Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop - 11/08/15 11:16 PM
I appreciate that kind of thinking-I'll take legal counsel from a Southerner long before I'd consider hiring a Philadelphia based lawyer, even if you could explain what the fabled "Flying Philadelphia Fuckup" means, and how it related to the military FUBAR concept--
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com