doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Demonwolf444 Re Engraving top ribs. - 03/27/15 08:19 PM
If you have a old, or worn gun sometimes the names and address fade or become obscured.

Whats the opinion of fellow forum members on the re cutting of these names and addresses ( if done in the same style as the original ).

To anyone who has had the work done; what would one expect to pay?

James.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 03/27/15 09:08 PM
good question James
I have one where the top rib engraving lost detail during rebrowning - I plan to have it picked up again

as part of a restoration - i think it makes sense

but- to do it on a worn gun, when the rest stays worn, does not make much sense to me.

i won't know about cost until I send it out
Posted By: Demonwolf444 Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 03/28/15 12:28 AM
Malcolm long is an engraver near me, he is very well known and has done Holland and Holland's and resto work, but i have no idea what the going rate is.

I have a Calderwood double percussion gun that i am restoring with lovely elegant barrels nice wide rib and its signed "Dublin." on the rib ( calderwoods on the locks ) Just dublin on the rib alone just looks so striking and makes such a statement on the gun as its in old script style it needs to be done.

I have a back action sidelock non ejector by Slingsby of Boston Linconshire, the name is fading just on the rib due to re browning, and because i particularly like local provincial makers i wouldn't mind having that picked out as its going to be restocked soon.

I am with you on that if its really worn throughout there is no point, i have one that is very worn but the locks are not signed, so the only signature is on the top rib but that will disappear when re browned. The gun was a quality piece and the barrels will come up nice so i want to make sure the gun is attributed to the maker.

The thing is without knowing what the going rate is i would not even know what to begin to pay.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 03/28/15 02:39 AM
Best way of knowing cost for the work of craftsman is to seek them out and ask them about their pricing.

Engravers normally charge by the character for things like makers marks. So, the longer it is, the more money it costs.
Posted By: JNW Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 03/28/15 05:16 AM
I just had a pair of Fox AE barrels polished and reblued. The barrel engraving wasn't done perfectly to begin with so I had it all recut. I believe the original was roll engraved. Looks fabulous and was only $75.
Jeff
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 03/28/15 10:20 AM
What - $75 to engrave the matting for the entire length of a top rib?? That is very inexpensive... cheap even.
Posted By: SKB Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 03/28/15 01:10 PM
Any pictures of the Fox rib? I'm just finishing up fitting a set of NOS fox barrels for a client and need to have the rib engraved.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 03/28/15 01:27 PM
I believe he means lettering recut not rib rematted.Bobby
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 03/28/15 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
What - $75 to engrave the matting for the entire length of a top rib?? That is very inexpensive... cheap even.

I am guessing he is referring to to the barrel lettering not the rib matting on his Fox
Posted By: JNW Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 03/28/15 04:31 PM
Just the lettering was redone.
Jeff
Posted By: JNW Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 04/02/15 02:03 AM
Several people have inquired about how my recut lettering looks. Originally the lettering was not even and the barrels had been a bit abused. Here it is.
[img:center][/img] [img:center][/img]
[img:center][/img]
The barrels were polished, the lettering recut and reblued by Eric Meitzner.
5907 S County Rd A, Solon Springs, WI 54873
(715) 378-2211

[img:center][/img]

Eric, uh, lives off the beaten path. This is part of the road to his house.
Regards,
Jeff
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 04/02/15 03:03 AM
Looks great, Jeff? Thanks for the follow up and the contact info. Do I understand that you had this done AFTER the polishing and bluing were done?

SRH
Posted By: JNW Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 04/02/15 03:35 AM
No, he polished, recut and then blued.
Jeff
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Re Engraving top ribs. - 04/02/15 11:00 AM
My bad. I misread your previous post. Thanks again.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com