doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: S&W ucla BERETTA SxS 20ga - 12/01/14 10:45 PM
I am looking at these, and other than looks and "grade", what is the REAL difference in these models? Particularly in regards to action, durability, quality, problems, etc.

625 seems to be lowest price
627 EL
470 EL
471 EL
486 Parellello
Giubileo seems to be highest price except for custom order

Thanks
Posted By: Mike A. Re: BERETTA SxS 20ga - 12/02/14 05:04 AM
If I recall correctly, 625 has extractors only; the 626 has ejectors.

Never owned one of the higher grades, but in my experience (of 625 and 626 and old model "Silver Hawks" and a Model 410 10 guage, plus a bunch of O/Us, auto pistols, and a .22 auto rifle) Berettas are generally extremely reliable and durable, regardless of finish or grade.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: BERETTA SxS 20ga - 12/02/14 12:53 PM
Agree with Mike. Berettas all pretty much work. The EL guns all have upgraded wood, maybe some additional engraving. Other than extractors vs ejectors in the case of 625/626, you're talking about the same basic action within a particular line of guns. Major differences are in the "extras", like wood and engraving.
Posted By: JNW Re: BERETTA SxS 20ga - 12/02/14 03:52 PM
Go over to 16ga.com and ask this. Greg Loftness owns over a dozen of them (I can't keep track of his Berettas anymore) and is very knowledgable. Ken Pendleton is a dealer who specializes in them. They are a relative bargain in the SxS world for the quality of gun you get. Where else can you get a nice ejector gun with real engraving for $1500?
Regards,
Jeff
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: BERETTA SxS 20ga - 12/04/14 07:31 PM
They all have similar actions, the Beretta proprietary boxloc action with coil springs, a much more robust action than the Anson Deeley, and in my opinion, better designed.

I have dismantled many of them, and never found an unhardened part or one that was not properly squared and adequately finished where it counts. My local Beretta dealership has sold a few of these, never sold any parts for them, they never break it seems.

The 625 is extractor, 626 ejector, 627 glopped with sideplates, 470 and 471 EL are the later versions with minor variations in the locks and hidden monobloc joint, the 486 is a totally different action, needlessly complex in my opinion but round bodied and that is a factor for many.

You might find the 20g a little front heavy due to barrel thickness.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: BERETTA SxS 20ga - 12/05/14 09:47 PM
Before you spend all that money on a new one, try to locate a GR2 (extractor) or GR3 (ejector), both of which are very nice, if somewhat older, guns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com