doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tamid Wall display case - 11/19/14 08:47 PM
My Xmas project is to build a wall display case for my shotguns. I don't know if it will be vertical or horizontal. I would love to see what others have designed to give me some ideas. Again it is a wall mounted display cabinet so I'm not interested in other types of displays at this time. Thanks for posting pics or descriptions of your displays. V
Posted By: gunut Re: Wall display case - 11/19/14 09:19 PM
us in the US don't display our guns any more, since 75/85% of our population is crooked in one way or another...[on both sides of the political/economic spectrum]....so we now lock our guns up in safes like they are made of gold or addictive narcotic drugs......
Posted By: skeettx Re: Wall display case - 11/19/14 10:08 PM
Best way to see old guns displayed is to go to a Cracker Barrel Restaurant, sorry

Mike
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Wall display case - 11/19/14 10:11 PM
Gunut is correct, 40 years ago, I displayed them in my livingroom wall, now I have a vault.
Mike
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Wall display case - 11/19/14 10:33 PM
The rack we had in our den when I was growing up (sorry, no pix) displayed 4 guns horizontally (so you can see the sides of the receivers, instead of looking at the floorplates)
Essentially, it was two vertical 1 X 4's with 1 X 4's set perpendicularly with cutouts for the guns. At the bottom was a drawer about 2 1/2 feet long which defined the bottom supports for the 1 X 4's. There was also a cross piece on the top.

A movable dowel was mounted vertically on the left hand support which was captured by the drawer. The drawer had a simple lock on it, which, when locked also secured the guns. Certainly not very robust, but perhaps enough to keep the grandkids from getting into them
Posted By: H.H. Hipshot Re: Wall display case - 11/19/14 11:30 PM
Try googling "gun display cabinets". Lots of hits, but here is the first one I came to, with pictures:

http://www.guncabinet.net/

HHH
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Wall display case - 11/19/14 11:57 PM
There is no problem displaying guns on a wall if you have a secure location or they will bet be in plain view from the outside of the house. To do so otherwise would invite theft these days.

I display a few guns in my gun room on the wall and do so in the horizontal so the entire gun can be seen in profile. Others are stored in gun racks but they look like so many pens in a row. Hard to tell one from the other that way.

It gets down to how you want them displayed, in a case or on the wall in some type of custom rack. One thing to consider is lighting. It makes all the difference to the display in my book.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Wall display case - 11/20/14 12:01 AM
On Hipshot's suggested website, the rack I was trying to describe is similar to the 2nd from the left on the top row.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Wall display case - 11/20/14 12:19 AM
You may get some ideas here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gun+disp...ounted+cabinets
Posted By: wyobirds Re: Wall display case - 11/20/14 01:08 AM
I live in rural Wyoming where crime is not a problem. That said, I have a safe and my guns reside there when we are out of the area. The following is not a gun case, but a simple way to have access to your guns while displaying.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Wall display case - 11/20/14 01:46 AM
I built a computer desk with a double row of guns above it (sort of like a china cabnet) All 12 guns are horizontal, with the barrels slightly lower than the action. Just glanced up and 3 Parkers look down on me.

Bill
Posted By: gunut Re: Wall display case - 11/20/14 03:24 AM
The one you like is a lot like the one I made in woodworking class freshman year in high school...I kept my guns, a 12ga 37 Ithaca, bolt action J C Higgins 16ga, Marlin model 60 22lr, Winchester 308 model 100, in that rack into my mid 20s...Today I have all my guns except for a couple loaded handguns locked in a safe....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com