doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Krakow Kid So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/16/14 12:08 AM
Anyone else notice Vintage Doubles has not appeared with other sponsors/advertisers on the main menu here, including the spot where updates are listed for about 6 weeks now. I, for one, miss the convenience of checking out when their inventory has been updated, along with other vendors I frequent.

Maybe Kirby has gotten too famous to cater to his customer base since his profile in Shooting Sportsman? I sure hope not.

I'll just continue looking them up apart from the BBS and hope I hit it right when new inventory has appeared.
Posted By: Rich A Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/16/14 11:50 AM
I e-mailed him a question about a gun he has listed and never got a reply.
Posted By: Buzz Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/16/14 12:06 PM
He's had problems with emails going to wrong basket. He's still in business. Call him. Besides, he enjoys talking guns.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/16/14 01:10 PM
Kirby Hoyt is a first rate gentleman, and one of a handful of gun dealers I trust. I have a 12 gauge LC Smith with the HOT on lay-away with him, soon will be shipped to my area FFL- and because I am a Honorably Discharged Veteran, there is NO extra cost for the insured shipping. I know of no other licensed gun dealer who does this, and to me, it speaks volumes about him.

I met Kirby Hoyt 4 years ago this coming June, at the Sagola SC side-by-side shoot, and visited his sales table inside the clubhouse several times to admire the fine English side-by-sides. He has a solid following and a good customer base, perhaps he doesn't need to advertise. And yes, e-mails are dicey, so we did our lay-away business over the phone.

RWTF- Francis Morin
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/16/14 01:48 PM
I just spoke to Kirby last week. I called to buy a 20ga hammer gun that sold 45min before I called. That would have been the 3rd gun I've bought from him. He's always been completely honest and upfront about everything. I look forward to browsing his tables at the Southern SXS in a few weeks.

Adam
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/17/14 01:06 AM
Yes indeed, he and Jack Dudley are two of the most honest and gentlemanly dealers I've come across in the past couple decades.

I've bought 5 firearms from him in about as many years and if that's any indication of future events looks like there will be a few more!

I just miss the convenience of seeing when he's updated his database so I know he's got some new goodies.
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/17/14 10:39 AM
Kitby is a good man and will be back on doublegunshop very soon.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/17/14 02:27 PM
Griffin & Howe has left the building also.....
Posted By: Berrien Moore Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/17/14 02:50 PM
I have bought two guns from him, and they are amongst by favorites. All aspects of the transactions were stellar. I regret that I will not be at the Southern Side-by-Side and have the opportunity to talk guns and more with him.

Best,

Berrien
Posted By: KY Jon Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/17/14 04:03 PM
Read between the lines. SS comes to you and offers to do a feature layout on you. You need to buy X#$,£,€ or¥ on ads with them. You get a lot of exposure for your ads plus feature article but you deplete your ad budget for a few months. It was smart business to do the article. He'll be back.
Posted By: Mills Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/17/14 05:44 PM
Kirby is first class all the way
Posted By: dukxdog Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/18/14 05:07 AM
Kirby stuck it to me a couple years back. I don't look at his guns anymore.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/18/14 11:41 AM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Read between the lines. SS comes to you and offers to do a feature layout on you. You need to buy X#$,£,€ or¥ on ads with them. You get a lot of exposure for your ads plus feature article but you deplete your ad budget for a few months. It was smart business to do the article. He'll be back.

Kirby's been running ads in SSM on a regular basis for quite some time. And magazines don't require that businesses featured in their articles advertise with them--although it is indeed smart business to do so.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/18/14 12:11 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: KY Jon

Kirby's been running ads in SSM on a regular basis for quite some time. And magazines don't require that businesses featured in their articles advertise with them--although it is indeed smart business to do so.
What is a SSM? I kept Kirby's business card from our first and only meeting in June 2014 at Sagola in the MI UP area (Iron Mountain)--I liked him when we first met, and he is one of a few doublegun men who know a great deal, but don't come across as pompous or egotistic when you talk with him- or e-mail or telephone talk either, I consider him to be a class act-- RWTF (Francis Morin) and you can "take that to the ban!!
Posted By: susjwp Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/18/14 01:17 PM
All my experiences with Kirby have been positive. He is fair, honest, and will do his utmost to keep buyers happy. I have bought and will buy from him again.
Posted By: canvasback Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/18/14 01:43 PM
SSM = Shooting Sportsman Magazine
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/18/14 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
SSM = Shooting Sportsman Magazine
Thanks- if you are a subscriber, could I get you to send me, on loan, a past but recent issue- so I can evaluate it before subscribing- a few years ago, both the Gander Mountain retail stores and the Barnes & Noble book sellers used to carry the quarterly Double Gun Journal, as well as Gray's Sporting Journal and Sporting Classics, along with Sports Afield. Nowadays, they only have Sports Afield and Sporting Classics for sale "off the rack"-- changing times I should think, just as Bob Dylan predicted!!
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/18/14 10:30 PM
I was just in our local Gander Mtn. yesterday and they had several copies of SSM on the rack for sale. I like a discount, so I buy my subscription to SSM here:
http://www.magazinedealsnow.com/title.asp?title=SHOOTING+SPORTSMAN

You may also consider subscribing to their free online magazine called Sporting Shot. www.sportingshot.com
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/19/14 01:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Wild Skies
I was just in our local Gander Mtn. yesterday and they had several copies of SSM on the rack for sale. I like a discount, so I buy my subscription to SSM here:
http://www.magazinedealsnow.com/title.asp?title=SHOOTING+SPORTSMAN

You may also consider subscribing to their free online magazine called Sporting Shot. www.sportingshot.com
Free sounds good-thanks
Posted By: canvasback Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/19/14 04:30 AM
Just saw your request Fox, but I see others have directed you to the free on-line version. Enjoy it. IMHO not up to DGJ standards but pretty good.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/19/14 10:57 AM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Just saw your request Fox, but I see others have directed you to the free on-line version. Enjoy it. IMHO not up to DGJ standards but pretty good.
Thanks--this Internet thing is indeed, amazing.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/21/14 11:42 AM
I have found Mr. Hoyt a very pleasant fellow to talk to. In my opinion the guns he acquires though, by and large, are a little on the rough side for my tastes. Like everything else, there are exceptions.
Posted By: LD1 Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/21/14 03:09 PM
I have known Kirby for many years. I have bought many guns from him and I have the highest regard for him. He has been completely honest with me and I would recommend him highly.
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/23/14 10:29 PM
Just a brief heads up VintageDoubles.com is back in the saddle as a doublegunshop.com advertiser.

Please take a minute to welcome Kirby back back by browsing his inventory of fine guns!

Thank you,
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: So Long Vintage Doubles? - 03/24/14 12:46 AM
RIGHT ON!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com