doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Krakow Kid Best Bore Gauge - 02/14/14 08:08 AM
A recent post by a member here brought this question to mind: Which, in your opinion/experience, is the best bore gauge (type) and is there one in particular (make) that you would recommend?

It's 3:01 am and this "pee break" has been detoured too much, i.e. too long. Back to bed and I hope my question makes sense.
Posted By: Craig Larter Re: Best Bore Gauge - 02/14/14 11:27 AM
I really like both my Galazan bore and wall thickness gauges. The bore gauge is very easy to use in my opinion.
Both gauges are very well built. The wall thickness gauge is very heavy but very easy to use. You need both in my opinion.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Best Bore Gauge - 02/14/14 12:22 PM
It depends on what you want out of the gauge. If you want a quick and easy to use gauge that gives you an average of the bore diameter, the Skeets, Baker, & Galazan, will all give you that.

If you want to know out of round and where these anomalies are, none of the above mentioned gauges will accurately measure out of round or dented spots. You would need a real machinists bore gauge that measures across two points.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Best Bore Gauge - 02/14/14 01:19 PM
Craig, what Galazan bore gauge are you referring to? I use Galazan's $450 bore gauge because it will measure ten gauge bores, where the Skeets type three ball gauge will not. I have both sizes of the Skeets type three ball, bought from Tony many years ago, and the $450 gauge bought a couple of years ago. I think it can be converted to measure eight gauge bores and chokes with a little machine work.
Posted By: eeb Re: Best Bore Gauge - 02/14/14 02:04 PM
The Skeets gauge works nicely. It is relatively inexpensive ($100), plus the folks who make it are great to deal with.
Posted By: Craig Larter Re: Best Bore Gauge - 02/14/14 03:17 PM
Bill: I use Galazan $450 professional bore gauge. Very accurate in my opinion and easy to use.
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Best Bore Gauge - 02/14/14 03:43 PM
You get what you pay for. The Galazan gauge is decent for the money.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com