doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mark Great Northern SxS Classic - 01/27/14 09:00 PM

The website has been updated, invitations to shooters and vendors have been sent out and applications are coming in. Between the success of last year, word of mouth and an increased advertising budget the shoot will very likely fill up this year. If you are planing to attend it might be wise to sign up sooner than latter!

http://mrcsportsmansclub.com/GreatNorthern/GNindex.htm
Posted By: Old Joe Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 01/28/14 01:30 AM
Will MRC use shooter names instead of numbers this year? All the other major shoots do that. The shoot is growing. I think it's time to step up and give credit by name to those who shoot well. It's no fun to drive hundreds of miles, shoot well, and then see that your #xy gets a tip of hat.
Posted By: mark Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 01/28/14 02:09 AM
OJ, Thanks for your concern. I support the shoot but I don't run things. Make your concerns known to MRC. MRC wants it's shooters to be happy if most of them what it changed I'm sure they will consider it.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 01/28/14 01:21 PM
Joe, the way it's always worked (at the old Yooper Shoot and now at the Great Northern) is that prizes are given out based on Lewis Class. Which means that the only "winner" (of a prize--which is a side by side in the case of the Great Northern) who gets rewarded for shooting well is the guy with the high overall score. Other "winners" are guys who shot, for example, 20th best, 40th best, etc.
Posted By: Old Joe Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 01/28/14 02:33 PM
This just is my feeling but this shoot is the only one Iv'e ever heard of that camoflauges shooter names by using numbers. I understand that is for them who shoot poorly and don't want their name shown with a crappy score. But those who run the shoot need to recognise also there are shooters who want to see names posted. I know you can never please all. But in my opoinion if this Great Northern ever wants to get in the big league and become more than a local shoot it's going to have to attract better shooters and many will not travel any distance to a shoot that shows scores with shooter numbers that don't mean a thing. And also one that just awards a HOA prize and uses Lewis class to spread the other prizes which does nothing except reward poor shooting. Hey MRC is advertising a nice shoot not a social event. Target shooting is competitive by nature. I know some reading here are thinking hey I shoot for fun. But they just fool themselves, it's no fun shooting crappy and the only way to get yourself in gear to be a better shooter is to see your name at the bottom of the list. Again just my opinion and I value contrary ones. But when decision time comes I'm not going to drive hundreds of miles to the Great Northern unless it uses names and recognises the top class of shooters by score and not Lewis, and I know good shooters who feel the same.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 01/28/14 03:04 PM
There are many ways to say what I am about to say. Some are very harsh, maybe even mean. Other ways more genteel.

Bottom line is this, Competitive target shooters ruin SXS events for those that go just to have fun.

More harshly, there are myriad places to see your name in lights after you whup everybody. Go there.

Old Joe, there are hundreds nee' thousands of vintage shotgun aficionados that emphatically don't care what their score is.
There is an adequate number that don't want anyone else to know their score.

I can find a shoot or 5 every week that want to show me how well, or how poorly I shoot.
Posted By: Eric 375 Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 01/28/14 03:46 PM
CZ, Old Joe just does not get it! Every year it's the same worn out statement. The Yooper, MRC, and the other side X side shoots are JUST PLAIN FUN!! Great social events, get to see and try out great guns from the vendor's and most important a game to shoot your favorite shotguns. I could care less who "wins" I win at every one I attend. I shoot a different gun almost every time out and enjoy shooting all of them. Skeet with my Benelli is a competitive event. A side X side shoot, vintage or not is a chance to play. I like to shoot well. My average or better but the most important thing to me is having a good time with friends and shooting my guns on the clays course. If you don't want to have fun, If you are only concerned with winning, if you do not want to joke, laugh, haze and have a great time, Please do not shoot with me and my friends. We have a truly great time and build on friendships (and get to take out really nice guns)at these events. None of use has ever been 1st looser at these events. I am planning on attending MRC's Great Northern and having a really enjoyable weekend.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 01/28/14 04:37 PM
+1 on what CZ & Eric 375 said. The UP shoot was always a "fun" shoot. I hope the Great Northern doesn't evolve into something different.

If I want the grind of a registered sporting clays shoot I have plenty of options for that a lot closer to home.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 01/28/14 07:25 PM
The Great Northern is a great venue. Lots of fun targets, and side events. It's all about fun and enjoying shooting side by sides. Great shooters, vendors and the host club people enjoy the weekend. I'll be there with bells on. MKII
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/01/14 02:40 AM
I sent a near squad full of entrants in earlier this week. Last year was great and this year promises to be even better.
Posted By: Hoof Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/01/14 03:34 AM
Could we get this shoot about 600 miles closer to Pennsylvania?

I admire all the fun you will be having (albeit incognito).
CHAZ
Posted By: Nitro Express Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/01/14 12:42 PM
decided to delete
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/01/14 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Old Joe
This just is my feeling but this shoot is the only one Iv'e ever heard of that camoflauges shooter names by using numbers. I understand that is for them who shoot poorly and don't want their name shown with a crappy score. But those who run the shoot need to recognise also there are shooters who want to see names posted. I know you can never please all. But in my opoinion if this Great Northern ever wants to get in the big league and become more than a local shoot it's going to have to attract better shooters and many will not travel any distance to a shoot that shows scores with shooter numbers that don't mean a thing. And also one that just awards a HOA prize and uses Lewis class to spread the other prizes which does nothing except reward poor shooting. Hey MRC is advertising a nice shoot not a social event. Target shooting is competitive by nature. I know some reading here are thinking hey I shoot for fun. But they just fool themselves, it's no fun shooting crappy and the only way to get yourself in gear to be a better shooter is to see your name at the bottom of the list. Again just my opinion and I value contrary ones. But when decision time comes I'm not going to drive hundreds of miles to the Great Northern unless it uses names and recognises the top class of shooters by score and not Lewis, and I know good shooters who feel the same.

Joe, when the Sagola Township guys were doing the shoot, it was about as "in the boondocks" as it's possible to be: rural UP Michigan. (Medford, WI is slightly more civilized.) But my point is, the old UP Shoot attracted shooters from all over and vendors from all over. They had close to 120 shooters up in the UP some years, and the surrounding population base--let alone "locals" who shoot sxs--is simply not large enough for that to have EVER been "just a local shoot".

That being said, the MRC has made some changes. The Flurry, for example, is no longer part of the official program, although still available as a side event. That change was made because some participants complained about the flurry. I expect, if enough participants complained that names ought to be listed, then names would be listed. As far as the prizes go . . . the entry fee is fairly high. Nice to know you have a chance to win a pretty valuable prize--a decent sxs--even if you don't shoot all that well but end up winning a Lewis Class. I'd be hesitant to pay almost $300 to participate in a shoot where I know that I have the proverbial snowball's chance in hell of winning one of just a relatively few expensive prizes. That's like my money is subsidizing the good shooters. Hey, if they're THAT good, let them compete for top gun. That guy wins his pick of the prize guns. Year before last, I just missed winning Lewis B. That's pretty fair shooting for me, and just my bad luck that I didn't take home a gun. Maybe this year. . .
Posted By: Tim Wolf Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/01/14 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
and just my bad luck that I didn't take home a gun. Maybe this year. . .

Save your money Larry. It's my turn this year!!
Posted By: Eis Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/02/14 03:44 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Old Joe

Joe, when the Sagola Township guys were doing the shoot, it was about as "in the boondocks" as it's possible to be: rural UP Michigan. (Medford, WI is slightly more civilized.) But my point is, the old UP Shoot attracted shooters from all over and vendors from all over. They had close to 120 shooters up in the UP some years, and the surrounding population base--let alone "locals" who shoot sxs--is simply not large enough for that to have EVER been "just a local shoot".

That being said, the MRC has made some changes. The Flurry, for example, is no longer part of the official program, although still available as a side event. That change was made because some participants complained about the flurry. I expect, if enough participants complained that names ought to be listed, then names would be listed. As far as the prizes go . . . the entry fee is fairly high. Nice to know you have a chance to win a pretty valuable prize--a decent sxs--even if you don't shoot all that well but end up winning a Lewis Class. I'd be hesitant to pay almost $300 to participate in a shoot where I know that I have the proverbial snowball's chance in hell of winning one of just a relatively few expensive prizes. That's like my money is subsidizing the good shooters. Hey, if they're THAT good, let them compete for top gun. That guy wins his pick of the prize guns. Year before last, I just missed winning Lewis B. That's pretty fair shooting for me, and just my bad luck that I didn't take home a gun. Maybe this year. . .

Larry, I could not have said it better... This shoot is not advertised as a competition shoot, it is advertised as fun shoot with a chance of taking home a prize even if you are not the top tier shooter. I always had great fun at the UP and this year I am hoping to have the same at this shoot.
Posted By: JNW Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/04/14 02:02 AM
Joe,
If you want to shoot your sxs competitively join the NSCA and attend any of the larger shoots. They now all have sxs and pump gun events. Of course, now you will be shooting against AA and Master class shooters who are used to seeing their names on top. Don't expect to see fancy guns, though. Picture a BSS with an adjustable comb and screw in extended chokes. (There is nothing wrong with a BSS-they make great economical target guns). Those boys are all about score! SxS shoots are social events celebrating our guns, and that's okay.
Regards,
Jeff
Posted By: billgrill Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/05/14 05:16 AM
I can tell you my squad will be back. Name or number? Who cares. If you want to see my name go to ATA amateur Trap Assoc. web site. Bill
Posted By: Rich A Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/15/14 01:02 PM
These are fun shoots first and formost. I gave up registered skeet years ago and just sold the Beretta 687EELL tube set to favor my favorite side by sides. This will be my first time at this shoot but I shot the U.P. shoot for over 10 years, even bought a house up there!

If your ego won't let you shoot with a enterants number instead of a name then might I suggest you find a registered shoot closer to you so you can see your on the scoreboard.

On another note can someone reccomend a place to stay close to this venue. I can't drive back and forth from Channing smile
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/15/14 01:27 PM
Rich, have you checked out this link to lodging from the MRC website?
http://www.mrcsportsmansclub.com/GreatNorthern/GNlodging.htm

Outside of camping on the venue grounds the closest lodging is at Camp 28 in Rib Lake about 6 miles away, but unfortunately we've got all the rooms booked for this year's shoot. The motels in Medford are approximately 8 miles south of the grounds and the motel in Prentice is about 10 miles to the north. The motels in Abbotsford are about 25 miles to the south. I understand that there are a few lakeside cottages in the area that may be available, too.

PM sent.
Posted By: Tim Wolf Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/15/14 01:58 PM
Guessing this event will be on Fathers Day again this year. June 13, 14, and 15.

May be just me but did not see the dates on the web site.

Thanks.

tim
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/15/14 02:08 PM
That's right Tim, Father's Day weekend June 13-15, 2014.
You missed seeing the dates on the left side of their homepage:
http://www.mrcsportsmansclub.com/
Posted By: [pilgrim Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/15/14 03:48 PM
Name verses Number! At a money or recognition shoot the only time I saw anyone smile was when they were presented their prize! Pilgrim
Posted By: Tim Wolf Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/15/14 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Wild Skies
That's right Tim, Father's Day weekend June 13-15, 2014.
You missed seeing the dates on the left side of their homepage:
http://www.mrcsportsmansclub.com/

Thank you Wild Skies. Figured I was just over looking it. Hope to see the clays a little better!
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/17/14 03:03 PM
More pigeon ring targets this year . . . need to get out the old Ithaca NID with tight chokes and 30" barrels and shoot more trap to get ready.
Posted By: HighWall Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/17/14 07:12 PM
What kind of a setup is the Pigeon ring?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/17/14 09:45 PM
Can't tell you about the new "Super Pigeon" targets for this year's shoot. However, the rings used in past shoots are snow fences surrounding a trap in a pit that rotates 360 degrees. Thus, you can get targets that run the gamut from straight away from you to straight at you. Not sure of the distance, but I'd guess the farthest distance from shooter to the fence on the far side of the trap would be close to 40 yards. Depending on the wind, some targets can be close to out of the ring (no score, even if you hit them--they have a little orange fabric "tail" which has to drop inside the ring), while others will fall inside the fence even if you miss. At which point you kick yourself, hard! It's a fun event. You can shoot twice at the pigeon ring targets.
Posted By: HighWall Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/17/14 10:08 PM
Mr. Brown, thanks for the information. Sounds like fun.
Posted By: mark Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/18/14 01:26 AM
The rules page spells out Super Pigeon better than I could.
http://mrcsportsmansclub.com/GreatNorthern/mrc-2014gn-event-rules.pdf
Posted By: Rich A Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/18/14 03:24 PM
The Pigeon ring was always my favorite event at the U.P. shoot and this super pigeon ring sounds like a lot of fun. Time to dust off a 12ga.
Posted By: welder Re: Great Northern SxS Classic - 02/18/14 03:36 PM
Here's another motel option just up the road in Ogema.

Ogema House Hotel (http://ogemahousehotel.com/)
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com